Drink Drive Limit To Be Lowered In Scotland - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Drink Drive Limit To Be Lowered In Scotland

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DrinkDriving250_250.jpg

Changed days, I mind my grandfather telling he used to drive from The Murray to the Eglinton Arms in Eaglesham on a Sunday afternoon in the '60s as only a 'bona fide traveller' could get a drink - apparently he'd have five or six pints and then drive home! At least the roads were much, much quieter then (especially on a Sunday).

Edited by Charlie Endell

What ? Ever ?

Do you think that having nothing to drink all day....then having a couple pints at 22.30, and having to worry about driving 8 hours later, is OK ?

I think it's insane. Especially as the police will go out of their way to penalise sensible people by breathalising in the mornings.

It's pish.

There's a simple answer to that, if you're driving at 8am don't have couple of pints at 22:30 the night before. The law is designed to change people's attitudes, I think it will.

There's a simple answer to that, if you're driving at 8am don't have couple of pints at 22:30 the night before. The law is designed to change people's attitudes, I think it will.

Yes. We have no right to be driving and in charge of a moving mass of metal with alcohol in our bloodstreams.

I agree and i think it will have an immediate effect. I needed to drive first thing this morning, that was last nights plans scuppered. Can't see it being anything but a good thing, fowk just don't like change.

Speaking to an auld yin last night who goes to every Saints game. Lives in a rural location and normally leaves his car at mcdiarmid before catching bus to away games. Had been out Friday night and was to scared to drive to the stadium incase he was stopped and was over. So attitudes are changing.

The unknown factor is my only concern at present. Not being 100% sure that I'd be under the limit the following day. I had a few drinks last night and waited until around 3pm today before I drove, just to be sure.

I'll probably invest in a breathalyser soon, just to keep myself right.

There's been a lot of experts on this past week and they've been reiterating the fact that your liver processes 1 unit of alcohol per hour, and it's pretty much constant no matter who or what the circumstances are.

So if you're fairly sure what you drank the night before it's reasonably straightforward to work out if you're ok to drive. From experience I wouldn't have more than 4 jars on a week night, might cut that back to 3 now...

Edited by Toepoke

I've worked on the basis that I start the clock ticking an hour after my last drink and allow two hours for every pint e.g. if I had eight pints and stopped drinking at 9pm I'd be clear to drive by 2pm the next day (although given the previous 80mg limit I'd probably have driven at noon). As covered earlier in this thread having a reading of 50mg while your alcohol / blood level is dropping is not as great an impairment to driving as 50mg when your alcohol / blood level is rising.

It seems to have been effective as I have driven for nearly 30 years without mowing down a bus queue.

Occasionally though I've no recollection of just how much I've drunk...In which case I just don't drive (I don't need to drive - the car is there for pleasure / convenience, so it's no great hardship if I need to leave it in its kennel).

Edited by Charlie Endell

There's 2.7 units in a pint of Stella, so if you've had 8 pints it will take you 22 hours after you've stopped drinking for it to be out of your system.

Thats not true, the alcohol doesnt start leaving your body after your last drink.

Your body tries to purge the alcohol straight away.