Norway V Spain - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Norway V Spain

Craig Fae Hamilton

Norway v Spain, If it's not a Draw, who do we want to Win?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. If you had to choose between Spain or Norway winning, which would it be?

• Spain Win, Scotland will qualify and be in Pot 2 at the very best. Excluding Spain slipping up in their final fixtures. Which, they won't.
    • Norway Win, we only need a DRAW versus Georgia to automatically qualify. A Win and a Draw in our final 2 Games would mean we win the Group and be in Pot 1 or 2.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Leaving aside what we want to happen - Norway will beat Spain tomorrow

That's how to do it

Classic Reverse Jinx

Fantastic!

Aim now has to be at minimum being the best second placed side in qualifying to get into at least Pot 2 - I assume winning both games (still a tough ask) would do it. Euro 2024 has to be our best chance of getting to the knockout stages.

5 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Fantastic!

Aim now has to be at minimum being the best second placed side in qualifying to get into at least Pot 2 - I assume winning both games (still a tough ask) would do it. Euro 2024 has to be our best chance of getting to the knockout stages.

I’m pretty sure 2 wins would guarantee us the last pot 2 place but I’m not 100% sure yet. 

Our last 2 games are still very important which is good. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m pretty sure 2 wins would guarantee us the last pot 2 place but I’m not 100% sure yet. 

And still tough as Norway and Georgia try for 3 place playoff spot.

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I think it is guaranteed. I don't see any other group that can have a 2nd place team with 21+PTS from the 8 games that count. Am I missing something?

12 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Playoffs are decided by final positions in Nations league. Georgia are already guaranteed a playoff and Norway might make the playoffs as well but they will need results to go their way.  

16 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

The play-offs are determined based on the Nations League - Georgia have already got a play-off spot as they won their NL group.

At present, the League B path play-off would contain Israel, Bosnia, Finland and Ukraine. We've qualified and Serbia are currently in an automatic spot.

At present the League A path would contain Croatia, Netherlands, Poland and Estonia (as the best League D group winner). Wales would replace Croatia if the latter qualify (both are in the same qualifying group); Czech Republic would replace Poland (both are also in the same group). The Dutch finishing above Greece would see Iceland into the play-offs as the next highest place side not to qualify - Iceland.

So for Norway to get into the play-offs they'd realistically need the Dutch to automatically qualify and hope two of Israel, Bosnia, Serbia and Finland qualify - and that's dependant on which side they prevent qualifying. In Israel's group, Romania would have to finish third - not Switzerland; in Finland's group Slovenia would have to finish third - not Denmark. Ukraine finished above Norway in the NL, but if they qualify one of England or Italy would be in the play-offs.

Norway are very unlikely to be in the play-offs because of the combination of results required. The remaining matches for Norway and Georgia are dead rubbers for them.

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yes

I am ridiculous but not for that reason 😁

You have to admit they tried their best but just couldn't find an excuse to disallow the second goal.  There's only so much they can do without making it patently obvious but, hey, they gave it a good go

1 minute ago, immcinto said:

I think it is guaranteed. I don't see any other group that can have a 2nd place team with 21+PTS from the 8 games that count. Am I missing something?

No I think you’re probably right. I’m just waiting on the overall standings to be updated before I definitely believe it. 😂

It might be possible for a current group leader to drop into second place next month and push us down but I’m not 100% sure. Winning 7 out of 8 games and finishing second must be pretty rare though?

Just now, todd said:

I am ridiculous but not for that reason 😁

You have to admit they tried their best but just couldn't find an excuse to disallow the second goal.  There's only so much they can do without making it patently obvious but, hey, they gave it a good go

😂😂😂

Time to take your tinfoil hat off and go for a lie down in a dark room I think.  

We’ve qualified tonight and that’s all that matters. 

5 minutes ago, immcinto said:

Pretty sure it is. Every other group have one of the top two teams having dropped 4 or more points. Switzerland are in 2nd place and have only dropped three points, but if they don't drop any more they will win the group.

3 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

The play-offs are determined based on the Nations League - Georgia have already got a play-off spot as they won their NL group.

At present, the League B path play-off would contain Israel, Bosnia, Finland and Ukraine. We've qualified and Serbia are currently in an automatic spot.

At present the League A path would contain Croatia, Netherlands, Poland and Estonia (as the best League D group winner). Wales would replace Croatia if the latter qualify (both are in the same qualifying group); Czech Republic would replace Poland (both are also in the same group). The Dutch finishing above Greece would see Iceland into the play-offs as the next highest place side not to qualify - Iceland.

So for Norway to get into the play-offs they'd realistically need the Dutch to automatically qualify and hope two of Israel, Bosnia, Serbia and Finland qualify - and that's dependant on which side they prevent qualifying. In Israel's group, Romania would have to finish third - not Switzerland; in Finland's group Slovenia would have to finish third - not Denmark. Ukraine finished above Norway in the NL, but if they qualify one of England or Italy would be in the play-offs.

Norway are very unlikely to be in the play-offs because of the combination of results required. The remaining matches for Norway and Georgia are dead rubbers for them.

👍 Thanks for clearing that up.  Commentator kept referring to it in the stream I was watching. Didn't realise it was so complicated for Norway and as you say unlikely.

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

😂😂😂

Time to take your tinfoil hat off and go for a lie down in a dark room I think.  

We’ve qualified tonight and that’s all that matters. 

My tinfoil hat never leaves my side mate, there's always another conspiracy right around the corner.  I ain't taking no chances 😁