Spain v Scotland - Match Thread - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Spain v Scotland - Match Thread

romanticscot

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The referee was terrible all night but once VAR signalled it as offside, he had no choice but to rule it out, surely?

My objection is that it shouldn't be going to VAR in the first place. VAR should be reserved for occasions when a player is clearly offside or onside (like metres not a few cm) to reverse an official's decision. Nobody was claiming offside when Mctominay scored. I think that shows it wasn't a clear and obvious error.

Some people seem to be conflating  a few different issues / rules.

Firstly, the ref doesnt go over to the monitor to check offside. If he goes over in an offside call then its to check if he thinks the offside player is interfering.

Secondly, there is a difference between interfering with play and a foul. Interfering with play can be as simple as being in the eyeline of the GK. Doesnt need to even be contact etc.

Imo if Hendry is offside then he is interfering with play however my main issue with this is what happened at the time. Marginal offsides always take the VAR official lots of time to draw the lines, look at every angle etc. The delays for these types of offsides always take a good few minutes. Thats before the VAR even considers the interferring aspect. The time taken before the ref started talking to VAR in this case was far too short. More in line with a possible foul.

That ties in with what was displayed on the screens in the stadium and at home. VAR is linked to the broadcaster and also directly to Uefa. Both said it was for a foul.

Then there was what the ref signalled for. After making the VAR sign he made the foul signal. Again this would tie in with the timescales and the reporting.

If the goal was disallowed for a foul then it is 100% beyond a joke. Its never a foul and even less a clear and obvious error.

The SFA has to ask for the audio. If it turns out the audio is talking about a foul then there has been an attempted cover up by Uefa and the officials. If the audio is for offside then the SFA needs a photo of the proper angle as all the ones shown on the TV never showed the kicker which always happens in VAR reviews.

Can’t disagree more with those excusing that VAR referee stitch up . It relies on one team when attacking to play no contact yet defending the other team are allowed to jump through our players, wiping them out without consequence of any kind. 
cheeting bastard behaviour I call it. Not so much the Spanish team as sneaky is them . My favourite was the double nipple twister one of the Scotland boys received. 😂 that referee was a hark back to the 70’s and 80’ s when we’d all find out a few years later where the money had gone. 
My biggest respect goes to the team on the pitch for not allowing the “homer” referee to let them give him an excuse for red carding one of the Scotland team . Reckon the cunt was on a bonus if he’d managed that . Still allowing our captain to be assaulted for free will likely be an earner. 
Did Robertson have a foul awarded against him for having the Spanish keeper jump into his back with no chance of getting the ball ? 
quite expecting someone to say Robertson was blocking by being where the keeper wanted to be.

46 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Am obviously in the minority but after watching the clip of that incident last night it looked a clear foul on the keeper where hendry had his arm up in gk chest and keeper moved backwards 

whether contact was light or manly enough am not sure as relevant; unless you want to go back to the flat caps and angora sweaters era

Dont even know why it went to var tbh

think would be different view on it if was spain goal and gunn in goal

there was talk of getting chalked off for offside tho ; not sure what outcome was on that

Might as well just stop football altogether if it's going to be foul every time a players arms touches another player. It's a simple fact that the keeper doesn't remotely attempt to stand his ground. He for some reason meekly moves back the moment hendrys arm and body moves towards him. That's his fault and nobody else. If hendry had actually pushed him or applied any kind of pressure on him I could see why it might be a foul but there really isn't any kind of pressure at all other than the prospect of hendry moving in his direction.

I would honestly be raging if gunn did what the Spanish keeper did so I don't think that argument holds much water either tbh.

8 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Some people seem to be conflating  a few different issues / rules.

Firstly, the ref doesnt go over to the monitor to check offside. If he goes over in an offside call then its to check if he thinks the offside player is interfering.

Secondly, there is a difference between interfering with play and a foul. Interfering with play can be as simple as being in the eyeline of the GK. Doesnt need to even be contact etc.

Imo if Hendry is offside then he is interfering with play however my main issue with this is what happened at the time. Marginal offsides always take the VAR official lots of time to draw the lines, look at every angle etc. The delays for these types of offsides always take a good few minutes. Thats before the VAR even considers the interferring aspect. The time taken before the ref started talking to VAR in this case was far too short. More in line with a possible foul.

That ties in with what was displayed on the screens in the stadium and at home. VAR is linked to the broadcaster and also directly to Uefa. Both said it was for a foul.

Then there was what the ref signalled for. After making the VAR sign he made the foul signal. Again this would tie in with the timescales and the reporting.

If the goal was disallowed for a foul then it is 100% beyond a joke. Its never a foul and even less a clear and obvious error.

The SFA has to ask for the audio. If it turns out the audio is talking about a foul then there has been an attempted cover up by Uefa and the officials. If the audio is for offside then the SFA needs a photo of the proper angle as all the ones shown on the TV never showed the kicker which always happens in VAR reviews.

Daily Record reporting that a new angle shows he made the signal for offside. 

51 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

VAR needs sorting out in my opinion. A marginal offside only discovered using technology is not a 'clear and obvious error' and it's ruining games as you're never sure if it's going to be chopped off.

And that's without getting into the question of whether Hendry was even interfering with play and assumes it was actually an offside that was given.

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

but why aren’t we seeing the usual view of it?  The camera usually spins around all over the place to prove its case, but here we are looking at grainy image from miles away. 

Because that suits the corrupt cunts narrative 

1 hour ago, Clyde1998 said:

And that's without getting into the question of whether Hendry was even interfering with play and assumes it was actually an offside that was given.

I think he is interfering with play to be fair and I don't think the ref, once he'd been called over could have made any other decision that disallowing the goal.

Either offside needs to be fully automated or we get rid of VAR for it barring occasions when there is a clear offside of, for example, more than 2 metres.

Aw ffs . Let’s just lube up , turn ‘round , bend over and say on you go . 
to be fair , if the game had been fairly refereed then I might not think those defending the letters of the law and spirit were not speaking out of their fucking arses and should respectfully, do one. 

Just watched the highlights. We were definitely lucky not to be down by 1 at half time but we played better than I had initially thought. Still think the VAR shouldn't have got involved but the ref had no choice once called over. Ultimately, everything has gone for us so far in the group and Spain definitely deserved the win.

I think Adams has been poor for us recently if his main job is a number 9. I think Dykes is first choice now but I still think Shankland should be in the reckoning as a sub.

On 10/13/2023 at 9:18 PM, BryanBlessed said:

I think he is interfering with play to be fair and I don't think the ref, once he'd been called over could have made any other decision that disallowing the goal.

Either offside needs to be fully automated or we get rid of VAR for it barring occasions when there is a clear offside of, for example, more than 2 metres.

The problem with automated offside is it can’t really say if someone was interfering with play. For this one VAR confirmed Hendry was offside but I would imagine they weren’t sure if he was interfering with play and wanted the ref to make the call. 

On 10/13/2023 at 9:18 PM, BryanBlessed said:

2 meteres is pushing it, but your right it should only be used for clear referee mistakes.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

The problem with automated offside is it can’t really say if someone was interfering with play. For this one VAR confirmed Hendry was offside but I would imagine they weren’t sure if he was interfering with play and wanted the ref to make the call. 

Assistants just aren't flagging anymore if they're not sure so it's just ruining everything.