Life is Great Just Now - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Life is Great Just Now

Caledonian Craig

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah they were a good side. Don’t remember them winning anything though. 🤔

Don't remember Belgium or Russia winning anything either. I suppose you thought that was an easy group as well? 😉

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Don't remember Belgium or Russia winning anything either. I suppose you thought that was an easy group as well? 😉

Nope I was talking about our current group. We didn’t win the group you are referring to so it’s not really relevant but we have a chance of winning the group we are in at the moment. 

Romania were the weakest of the pot 1 teams (at least according to the rankings) for Euro 92 qualifying but if you want to believe they were an incredible team at that time that’s up to you. 

We were in the weakest group by some distance as far as the top 3 seeds are concerned although Switzerland were the highest ranked pot 4 team. The less said about San Marino the better. 

If we win our current group I will believe that to be a better achievement than winning our group in 1991. Especially if we win it in style and end up in pot 1 for Euro 2024. If you don’t then that’s fine. We are all entitled to our opinion. 

5 hours ago, Judith said:

Winning this group would undoubtedly be a magnificent achievement and up there with the greatest of any Scotland team I can remember.

I understand what you are saying about 1992, and whilst we probably did have one of the easier groups, Romania had one of the best teams in Europe at the time and Switzerland and Bulgaria were no slouches either.

Nice discussions to be having though. Means we are heading in the right direction again.

Bulgaria were towards the bottom of the pot 3 teams and Switzerland were in pot 4 so I’m not sure how good they actually were and Romania were the bottom pot 1 side. Romania finished third in the group so they couldn’t have been as good as some folk are making out. We really could’t have asked for an easier group with the exception of our pot 4 side as Switzerland were the highest ranked pot 4 team. 

It is very difficult to compare our current group with the one from 30 years ago but from memory it sort of felt like 4 evenly matched teams who were cutting each other’s throats and we just managed to come out on top. Winning that group was a great achievement as we were the pot 2 side but I don’t think it would be as good an achievement as winning our current group (which I’m not convinced we’ll do to be honest). 

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

It's another one of those changes that benefits the top nations. 

But, I suppose that's fair enough now that we are one of them. 😉 🤣

That was my presumption and a lot of ppls fears when it was brought in because of the quality of big teams benches but im not sure its actually worked out that way.

The ability to make 5 subs has helped smaller teams as they can take off more players who are gubbed, reducing the chances of tiredness leading to goals.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Last 8 and 2 of the teams got byes 

Getting to the last 8 of a tournament when there are only 8 teams in the finals and far fewer teams then than there are now isn’t necessarily as big an achievement as it sounds. 

The big achievement was winning our qualifying group. 

25 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

That was my presumption and a lot of ppls fears when it was brought in because of the quality of big teams benches but im not sure its actually worked out that way.

The ability to make 5 subs has helped smaller teams as they can take off more players who are gubbed, reducing the chances of tiredness leading to goals.

Agree with you both . We are a better team and have good bench now. Do think 5 subs changes the dynamics for a coach, mebbies our best asset, to influence when able to change half the outfield team . 
incredible to think of the no subs , injury only subs times. 

6 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

Agree with you both . We are a better team and have good bench now. Do think 5 subs changes the dynamics for a coach, mebbies our best asset, to influence when able to change half the outfield team . 
incredible to think of the no subs , injury only subs times. 

I personally don’t like it but if it’s here to stay then so be it and if it benefits Scotland in any way then happy days. 

I’m not convinced it givesa big advantage to any international team to be honest except maybe when we were having to play 3 games in each international break. 

Edited by Texas Pete

5 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I personally don’t like it but if it’s here to stay then so be it and if it benefits Scotland in any way then happy days. 

I’m not convinced it givesa big advantage to any international team to be honest except maybe when we were having to play 3 games in each international break. 

I think it helps teams who adopt either a high tempo or structured defensive unit. Both of which we are at times. 

Some ppl think that playing defensively just means sticking all the guys behind the ball but its actually so demanding on the players, both mentally and physically. Being able to swap 5 players when they start to tire is a big thing for managers. Helps them keep their strategy for the full game.

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think it helps teams who adopt either a high tempo or structured defensive unit. Both of which we are at times. 

Some ppl think that playing defensively just means sticking all the guys behind the ball but its actually so demanding on the players, both mentally and physically. Being able to swap 5 players when they start to tire is a big thing for managers. Helps them keep their strategy for the full game.

True but I think too many changes during a game can disrupt any team’s rhythm. 

Doesn't make a difference if you are not playing well and are trying to change things up but sometimes the temptation is there to make 5 changes to keep the energy of the team up when there is really no need. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it with Scotland though in fairness. 

We so need to get this sewn up before the Norway game at Hampden.  I'm sure we will but the 'fear' in me keeps telling me otherwise.  Imagine if it were to come down to the last game?  That would mean we'd be on the back of some really shit results and Norway would be on the back of a great run of form.  Jeez, I really need to stop over thinking this 😪

9 minutes ago, todd said:

We so need to get this sewn up before the Norway game at Hampden.  I'm sure we will but the 'fear' in me keeps telling me otherwise.  Imagine if it were to come down to the last game?  That would mean we'd be on the back of some really shit results and Norway would be on the back of a great run of form.  Jeez, I really need to stop over thinking this 😪

There would need to be a few unusual results for us to need anything from our last game. 

We would need to drop points in Cyprus (we have a 100% record against them) and Georgia as well as Spain and Norway would need to win their next 3 games (including Spain at home). Even if all of that happens we would only need a point in our final game as long as we pick up at least 1 point in our previous 3 games. This is all assuming that Georgia are already out at this point which they should be if they lose to Norway and twice to Spain.

If we lose in both Cyprus and Georgia then you would really need to consider if we deserve to qualify anyway. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

There would need to be a few unusual results for us to need anything from our last game. 

We would need to drop points in Cyprus (we have a 100% record against them) and Georgia as well as Spain and Norway would need to win their next 3 games (including Spain at home). Even if all of that happens we would only need a point in our final game as long as we pick up at least 1 point in our previous 3 games. This is all assuming that Georgia are already out at this point which they should be if they lose to Norway and twice to Spain.

If we lose in both Cyprus and Georgia then you would really need to consider if we deserve to qualify anyway. 

Good points, but did you have to go down the 'if we don't beat such and such, we don't deserve to qualify' route?  I hate that wisdom.  So we beat Spain but don't beat Cyprus means we don't deserve to qualify?  So if we lose to Cyprus and Georgia but then go on to beat Norway in the last game does that then mean we didn't deserve to qualify? Just saying 🤔

46 minutes ago, todd said:

Good points, but did you have to go down the 'if we don't beat such and such, we don't deserve to qualify' route?  I hate that wisdom.  So we beat Spain but don't beat Cyprus means we don't deserve to qualify?  So if we lose to Cyprus and Georgia but then go on to beat Norway in the last game does that then mean we didn't deserve to qualify? Just saying 🤔

I didn’t mean we wouldn’t deserve to qualify if we lose in Cyprus and Georgia and actually qualify but we’d have to accept that we didn't deserve to qualify if we don’t get enough points in our next 4 games to make it to the finals. 

In other words if we lose our next 3 or 4 games and don’t qualify we can have no complaints. If we finish in the top 2 regardless of how we do that then we’ll deserve to qualify. 

41 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I didn’t mean we wouldn’t deserve to qualify if we lose in Cyprus and Georgia and actually qualify but we’d have to accept that we didn't deserve to qualify if we don’t get enough points in our next 4 games to make it to the finals. 

In other words if we lose our next 3 or 4 games and don’t qualify we can have no complaints. If we finish in the top 2 regardless of how we do that then we’ll deserve to qualify. 

Lets just agree that if we qualify we've deserved it, no matter how it came about? 😉 Sooner the better though eh? Not sure my 55 year old ticker could take a winner takes all final game!

As a side note I'd like to say you've been a very civil and objective poster on this site, even with me and I've been a bit of a wang at times 😁

Edited by todd

38 minutes ago, todd said:

Lets just agree that if we qualify we've deserved it, no matter how it came about? 😉 Sooner the better though eh? Not sure my 55 year old ticker could take a winner takes all final game!

As a side note I'd like to say you've been a very civil and objective poster on this site, even with me and I've been a bit of a wang at times 😁

Absolutely. If you qualify then you deserve to qualify. Unless maybe you are Denmark in 1992 but they went on to justify their place in the end.

If we qualify (and I’m sure we will) then we will definitely deserve it. If we beat Cyprus then we can push on and try to win the group. 

Everyone can be a bit of a wang on here at times including myself but as long as Scotland keep winning who cares? 

23 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely. If you qualify then you deserve to qualify. Unless maybe you are Denmark in 1992 but they went on to justify their place in the end.

If we qualify (and I’m sure we will) then we will definitely deserve it. If we beat Cyprus then we can push on and try to win the group. 

Everyone can be a bit of a wang on here at times including myself but as long as Scotland keep winning who cares? 

Couldn't agree more.  Also how do you do that highlighting certain bits of text? Seriously can't do it😳

21 minutes ago, todd said:

Couldn't agree more.  Also how do you do that highlighting certain bits of text? Seriously can't do it😳

Hold your cursor over the bits you want to highlight and left click and drag the cursor

Then when it's still blue press the B on the top line

11 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Hold your cursor over the bits you want to highlight and left click and drag the cursor

Then when it's still blue press the B on the top 

Edited by todd

Beat Cyprus and we need a point from our last 3 games.

Simples.

We may not even need that.

Its all on the Cyprus game.

1 minute ago, Judith said:

Beat Cyprus and we need a point from our last 3 games.

Simples.

We may not even need that.

Its all on the Cyprus game.

Yep, beat Cyprus and we cannot not qualify from there.  Even Scotland!

The professionalism, confidence, consistency, strong team spirit and quality we have now i'm so confident that we will beat Cyprus 

My predictions for the rest of the group are -

Cyprus, win 2-0 

Spain, Draw 1-1 

Georgia, Win 1-0

Norway, Lose 2-1