Germany 24...too soon? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Germany 24...too soon?

C Mc

I really, really wanted to wait until after Tuesday's match, tempting fate and all that, but I couldn't help myself...started looking at travel options for Germany...

The group stages are 14th to 26th June, which sadly rules out the kids...

Each group covers 4 or 5 different stadiums/cities

4 or 5 days between matches

What are people thinking about:

Travel? Where's cheapest to fly into, or should we drive? I assume the train network will be awesome

Accommodation? Hostels, camping

Tickets? Lol, i've no chance but hey, i'll be there anyway

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably the right section just now

My days of going on tour are over and i did alright with my many adventures

I'll probably book 2-3 weeks in Benidorm so i can watch it there along with Royal Ascot which coincides with the finals

If i was going i would probably hang fire just now - there are plenty cheap ways to get to Germany by Air, Rail or Road

Yeh we were of course talking about this on the way back from Oslo.

It's easy to get to Germany and get around it too, so we'll hang off until it's clearer what's going on.

No doubt the TA will find more and more ridiculous ways to get there which is part of it I suppose 😉

1 hour ago, C Mc said:

I really, really wanted to wait until after Tuesday's match, tempting fate and all that, but I couldn't help myself...started looking at travel options for Germany...

The group stages are 14th to 26th June, which sadly rules out the kids...

Each group covers 4 or 5 different stadiums/cities

4 or 5 days between matches

What are people thinking about:

Travel? Where's cheapest to fly into, or should we drive? I assume the train network will be awesome

Accommodation? Hostels, camping

Tickets? Lol, i've no chance but hey, i'll be there anyway

Schools a waste of time end of June. Be plenty kids over

I’m not going to look into anything properly unless we actually qualify but can’t blame people for getting excited. 

Even if we win tomorrow night we are still only half way through the campaign. I don’t want to be the merchant of doom or anything but I won’t believe we are going to Germany until the table confirms it. 

There are many possibilities if your games are in the West of Germany like Dortmund, Dusseldorf & Cologne as you could get cheaper flights to Holland or Belgium and then get the train

Gaun fur a fortnight in Hamburg, oor auld stomping ground. Know the trains pretty well and only Stuttgart and munich are out of reach by train. If we don't get tickets there will be a fanzone at Heiligengeistfeld.

Had A little look myself using an estimate of our potential points total should we qualify (14-17 IMHO) and put that against UEFA's qualifying format. Last tournament, 14-17 was good enough for pot 2. Pot 2 teams are drawn to fixtures with teams ending in 2. (A2, B2, C2 etc)

If (like me) base your travel plans around us being in pot 2 you can eliminate half of the group games from the planner. 

https://editorial.uefa.com//resources/027e-1753eecb48d2-04f1dbac92e2-1000/euro_2024_match_schedule.pdf

Copied that over from my post in the general travel. 

Even when we do officially qualify I don't want us to take the foot off the gas. 

This half of the campaign has shown us that this probably won't be the case. Cyprus away, Georgia away and Norway at home are winnable matches so we could go on to win this group. Clarke has to get this message into the players to create a winning mentality, not just a ' we are happy to be here' mentality.

18 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Even when we do officially qualify I don't want us to take the foot off the gas. 

This half of the campaign has shown us that this probably won't be the case. Cyprus away, Georgia away and Norway at home are winnable matches so we could go on to win this group. Clarke has to get this message into the players to create a winning mentality, not just a ' we are happy to be here' mentality.

Agree and luckily i think Clarke is the kind of manager who has/will develop that mindset in the players - great to see the players professional, composed and forward looking in the interviews post match - the mentaility and team spirit shift since Clarke took over has been fantastic 

18 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

From this table, does that mean rank 1 -6 are pot 1 and 7 - 12 are pot 2? 

IMG_2195.png

Germany+ top 5 qualifiers will be pot 1.

We were 5th before this round of games...

18 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Long way to go yet.

Indeed.  While we have had the perfect start to the campaign- couldn’t have done any better - we are in a slightly false position in the group as we’ve played three games at home and only one away.  

There’s a lot of football to be played in this group and people are getting way ahead of themselves in looking at us being top seeds or whatever.   We are in a strong position to qualify right now, but that is it.

59 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I’ll believe that Georgia away is a winnable game when we win it, not before. We’ve an appalling record out there, results and performances.  

Remember that in 2007, we went there off the back of beating France in Paris and Ukraine at Hampden, lost 2-0 and didn’t have a shot on goal until very late in the game against a teenage goalkeeper making his debut.  

That result scuppered our chances of qualifying for Euro 2008. 

26 minutes ago, aaid said:

Indeed.  While we have had the perfect start to the campaign- couldn’t have done any better - we are in a slightly false position in the group as we’ve played three games at home and only one away.  

There’s a lot of football to be played in this group and people are getting way ahead of themselves in looking at us being top seeds or whatever.   We are in a strong position to qualify right now, but that is it.

Get back to Indy Ref 2, and don’t put a damper on things.

😄

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

I’ll believe that Georgia away is a winnable game when we win it, not before. We’ve an appalling record out there, results and performances.  

Remember that in 2007, we went there off the back of beating France in Paris and Ukraine at Hampden, lost 2-0 and didn’t have a shot on goal until very late in the game against a teenage goalkeeper making his debut.  

If I am going on what I witnessed last night Georgia are rank rotten, we should be winning comfortably over there. No shots on target last night, including a soft penalty.

I know our record (was there in the stifling heat of 2015, but we are better, and I saw nothing to say they are better.

We are learning very quickly how to win away from home, long may that continue.

J

28 minutes ago, aaid said:

We have only played out there twice - both with teams whos mentality is very questionable. This Scotland team's mentality isn't questionable. We have almost no calls offs unless someone is genuinely injured, they are full focused on the next game and thats it. 

41 minutes ago, aaid said:

What a load of utter shite that part is

33 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

If I am going on what I witnessed last night Georgia are rank rotten, we should be winning comfortably over there. No shots on target last night, including a soft penalty.

I know our record (was there in the stifling heat of 2015, but we are better, and I saw nothing to say they are better.

We are learning very quickly how to win away from home, long may that continue.

J

The game in 2007 was in November, it was a pretty dreich day from what I can recall.   I’ve a lot of faith in this team but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

33 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

We have only played out there twice - both with teams whos mentality is very questionable. This Scotland team's mentality isn't questionable. We have almost no calls offs unless someone is genuinely injured, they are full focused on the next game and thats it. 

The mentality of the team that beat World Cup finalists France home and away was questionable?  That’s a bit of a revisionist view.