Gordon McQueen - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gordon McQueen

slasher

Sadly passed today.

RIP.

I’ll always remember him for that towering header vs England in the old home internationals.

To be honest I was a bit surprised no one else had mentioned his passing given the career he had.

28 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A great defender and an aerial threat for us at set pieces. One of those players who played in our best teams yet only ended up with 30 caps.

R I P Gordon McQueen

I don't think he was ever the same again after that injury in 1978 that kept him out of the World Cup. A wholehearted, totally committed player and one of the best central defenders ever to play for Scotland.

39 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

RIP big man, one of my original Scotland heroes.

fdaf6f5f82393b5248c7fa4aed5a14c3--panini

He was the hero of every wee Scottish boy of a certain age of which i was one

The way he celebrated after scoring against England in 77 with his chest out was fantastic 

I don’t know where they are in establishing a link between heading a football in that era and dementia but it seems an obvious correlation to make?

Anyway very sad to lose a legend like that at just 70, no age at all these days 😣

12 minutes ago, slasher said:

I don’t know where they are in establishing a link between heading a football in that era and dementia but it seems an obvious correlation to make?

Anyway very sad to lose a legend like that at just 70, no age at all these days 😣

It's almost certain from study's already done and we are going to lose Denis Law and Bobby Charlton from it in the near future

I would imagine a major problem in confirming it 100% is that there are very few post mortems & biopsy done after the death of someone with alzheimers/dementia regardless of who they are.

Another link, as i have bored people with before, is the after effects of the infected meat epidemic of the 80s/90s which could also be playing a part - again we cant say for sure because brain tissue can only be obtained after an autopsy

Did Big Gordon ever explain why he punched his goalie David Harvey during the infamous Leeds/Man City cup tie - apart from Harvey shoving him ?

I know most of the players had the red mist for most of the game and that McQueen was fined by Leeds then left to join Man Utd shortly after it

1 hour ago, slasher said:

The Glasgow University study from 2019 claimed former footballers were 3.5 times more likely to develop neurodegenerative diseases in later life than the regular public.

On 6/16/2023 at 1:30 AM, Toepoke said:

The Glasgow University study from 2019 claimed former footballers were 3.5 times more likely to develop neurodegenerative diseases in later life than the regular public.

Stats can be manipulated to suit an agenda, I'm not convinced.  My dad died of the same shitty disease, never headed a ball in his life.  I reckon if you're predisposed to get it you're gonna get it, much like cancer. We just seem, as a collective, determined to attribute every ailment to a specific cause.  Basically shit will happen and there's little, or anything, we can do about it!

59 minutes ago, todd said:

Stats can be manipulated to suit an agenda, I'm not convinced.  My dad died of the same shitty disease, never headed a ball in his life.  I reckon if you're predisposed to get it you're gonna get it, much like cancer. We just seem, as a collective, determined to attribute every ailment to a specific cause.  Basically shit will happen and there's little, or anything, we can do about it!

As did 3 of my Mum's sisters

However Dementia is just a general term for umpteen neurocognitive disorders

Vascular dementia is caused by infarcts and it is almost certain heading a ball for hundreds of thousands of times increases the chances of that  

51 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

As did 3 of my Mum's sisters

However Dementia is just a general term for umpteen neurocognitive disorders

Vascular dementia is caused by infarcts and it is almost certain heading a ball for hundreds of thousands of times increases the chances of that  

You may well be right, you certainly seem more clued up on it all than me.  I'm just angry that it killed my dad.

6 minutes ago, todd said:

You may well be right, you certainly seem more clued up on it all than me.  I'm just angry that it killed my dad.

We are both right and frighteningly there are 10 million new cases world wide every year 

Sorry about your Dad - As i said my Mum had 3 sisters and they all died from it

My Mum would probably have gotten it too but she never lived long enough - she had a grade 4 brain tumour that took her in less than 6 months from diagnosis

Edited by Ally Bongo

It's a horrendous disease and my heart goes out to anyone having to deal with it first hand.

But the link between playing football and increased risk of dementia is almost irrefutable. Entire teams have been affected, the bulk of the Lisbon Lions, England's 66 team, Killie's league winning side, have been lost to dementia or other degenerative brain conditions. 

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It's a horrendous disease and my heart goes out to anyone having to deal with it first hand.

But the link between playing football and increased risk of dementia is almost irrefutable. Entire teams have been affected, the bulk of the Lisbon Lions, England's 66 team, Killie's league winning side, have been lost to dementia or other degenerative brain conditions. 

I am guessing the ball being so heavy back then can't have helped either. Hopefully with more restrictions on heading in training and the ball being much lighter these days then we might see a massive decrease in players getting dementia etc

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am guessing the ball being so heavy back then can't have helped either. Hopefully with more restrictions on heading in training and the ball being much lighter these days then we might see a massive decrease in players getting dementia etc

I was just going to ask that very question as to whether the lighter balls now would make a significant difference. Hopefully so.