Team for Norway - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Norway

er yir macaroon

Knowing how often the national team has shat on us over the years, especially when expectations are good, i fully expect Norway to be 2 up early on and either the remainder of the game is a damp squib or we lose by 5 ............. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Knowing how often the national team has shat on us over the years, especially when expectations are good, i fully expect Norway to be 2 up early on and either the remainder of the game is a damp squib or we lose by 5 ............. 

Yeh we should be wary of being overconfident. Scotland are experts in fucking up.

I would probs accept 3 points from these 2 games if you were to offer me it now.

I would bite the hand of 4 points.

30 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh we should be wary of being overconfident. Scotland are experts in fucking up.

I would probs accept 3 points from these 2 games if you were to offer me it now.

I would bite the hand of 4 points.

Even 2 points is better than 3 in some cases. Drawing Norway better than losing

Edited by immcinto

1 hour ago, immcinto said:

Even 2 points is better than 3 in some cases. Drawing Norway better than losing

Yeh that might work out quite well as norway really need the win if they are to stand a chance in this group. Its nearly a win or bust situation for them in this upcoming game.

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

You could have used this post several times in the last two years and be proved wrong such as Serbia in the play-offs, England at the Euros, Denmark at home, Ukraine away in Nations League and the recent Spain match. I wonder what happened then?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You could have used this post several times in the last two years and be proved wrong such as Serbia in the play-offs, England at the Euros, Denmark at home, Ukraine away in Nations League and the recent Spain match. I wonder what happened then?

Even still i would say hes got a point. Up until the last few years scotland has been a major let down for 20 plus years(arguably longer). Even in recent years we have had a few lets downs as well like the czech and croatia games at the euros and the ukraine play off match.

Its always been the case that getting your hopes up with scotland is a dangerous game because often defeat and disappointment are waiting round the corner.

Hopefully we change the script, but usually our performances in June are pretty shite in general, although last June was a shambles as we totally shat the bed.

However I have a good feeling about this double header for some strange reason

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Even still i would say hes got a point. Up until the last few years scotland has been a major let down for 20 plus years(arguably longer). Even in recent years we have had a few lets downs as well like the czech and croatia games at the euros and the ukraine play off match.

Its always been the case that getting your hopes up with scotland is a dangerous game because often defeat and disappointment are waiting round the corner.

Even when we used to qualify it was never stree-free. I believe we can qualify, I just can't believe we will enjoy a stree-free ride through the qualifiers battering everyone.

1 minute ago, immcinto said:

Even when we used to qualify it was never stree-free. I believe we can qualify, I just can't believe we will enjoy a stree-free ride through the qualifiers battering everyone.

I agree, there will be bumps in the road in our campaign, we are not good enough yet to go through a campaign stress free. I hope the fans on here realise this too.

In saying the above, I don't know if Norway away will be our poor performance. I am strangely confident we will get the job done

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

"Expectations are good" was the criteria

Czech Republic home - High - Gubbed

England away - Low - Draw

Croatia home - High - Gubbed

Ukraine home - High - Gubbed

I could go on but i would be here all day

2 hours ago, glasgow jock said:

Hopefully we change the script, but usually our performances in June are pretty shite in general, although last June was a shambles as we totally shat the bed.

However I have a good feeling about this double header for some strange reason

I’m not really sure where this story about us being shite in June comes from. 

We were shite last June certainly but I wouldn’t say we were particularly shite the previous June at the Euros. Ok so we could have played better but we had a decent performance against England and we were OK against the Czechs.

Our 2-2 draw against England  and 1-1 draw away against Ireland were in June  as well which were decent results.

If you look back through our results over the last 20 years I don’t think we’ve been particularly worse in June than in any other month. We’ve had some shocking results at other times of the year as well. 

If there is something to it that I can’t see then hopefully Clarke’s different approach this year with the training camp in Spain will make a positive difference and we’ll get a couple of good results over the next 5 days. 

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not really sure where this story about us being shite in June comes from. 

We were shite last June certainly but I wouldn’t say we were particularly shite the previous June at the Euros. Ok so we could have played better but we had a decent performance against England and we were OK against the Czechs.

Our 2-2 draw against England  and 1-1 draw away against Ireland were in June  as well which were decent results.

If you look back through our results over the last 20 years I don’t think we’ve been particularly worse in June than in any other month. We’ve had some shocking results at other times of the year as well. 

If there is something to it that I can’t see then hopefully Clarke’s different approach this year with the training camp in Spain will make a positive difference and we’ll get a couple of good results over the next 5 days. 

Fingers Crossed !!

14 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

aye reminds of that Norway game during Burley era, one of the Caldwell brothers got sent off and we got duly humped I’m sure. I’ve got a dreaded feeling Norway are not to far off “clicking” to a a decent side and we could be first scalps

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

That's what's held us back for most of the past twenty years. Just when it looked like we might be getting it together we've fallen apart; when we've needed a bit more from the team they've usually failed to deliver.

The last WC was the outlier in that respect - it was the first time in a long time that we managed to get as many points as I realistically hoped we would - and even then we got off the a bit of a slow start.

Part of me believes this team is better than that and they have turned in some excellent performances over the past couple of years, but the WC playoff against Ukraine preys on my mind. We went into that match, at home and unbeaten in eight games, and turned in a performance as dreadful and insipid as any under Burley, Levein, Vogts or Strachan.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

aye reminds of that Norway game during Burley era, one of the Caldwell brothers got sent off and we got duly humped I’m sure. I’ve got a dreaded feeling Norway are not to far off “clicking” to a a decent side and we could be first scalps

Big daft Gary got sent off for persistently fouling John Carew. They then scored directly from the resultant free-kick. 🤦‍♂️

On paper Norway look like they could be a very decent side indeed. They currently have, I think, their best collection of players in a generation, and while they haven't done much of late neither had Belgium when we drew then in Brazil '14 qualification.

Norway don't have the same level of quality throughout their team as that Belgium side had but under the right coach using the right tactics I can very easily see them "clicking" to great effect.

On 6/13/2023 at 1:03 PM, Texas Pete said:

I don’t understand how you can feel a draw would be a fantastic result if you also think we are going to win but I guess it will come down how both team play on the day and how the game goes. 

Norway will definitely be under a lot of pressure which will play into our hands. I don’t think we’re definitely going to win or even definitely going to get a point but if we play well and keep Haaland quiet we definitely have a chance of either if things go our way. 

I think both a win and a draw are fantastic results. Even a loss shoudn't put us into panic stations. A loss to Georgia would though.

If we can beat Georgia home and away, and Cyprus away, then we might still be in a good position come the Norway game at Hampden, needing only a draw. 

Saying all that, I do think we will win tomorrow. They are relatively weak defensively, and hitting them on the counter could be very effective.

I accept that Scotland have a habit of letting us down on a fairly consistent basis. I have to say though, I’ve more confidence in this squad of players than any other in my lifetime. I’m not saying it’s the best on paper, but I trust these players over the teams from the 80s, for example.

20 hours ago, scotlad said:

That's what's held us back for most of the past twenty years. Just when it looked like we might be getting it together we've fallen apart; when we've needed a bit more from the team they've usually failed to deliver.

The last WC was the outlier in that respect - it was the first time in a long time that we managed to get as many points as I realistically hoped we would - and even then we got off the a bit of a slow start.

Part of me believes this team is better than that and they have turned in some excellent performances over the past couple of years, but the WC playoff against Ukraine preys on my mind. We went into that match, at home and unbeaten in eight games, and turned in a performance as dreadful and insipid as any under Burley, Levein, Vogts or Strachan.

Big daft Gary got sent off for persistently fouling John Carew. They then scored directly from the resultant free-kick. 🤦‍♂️

On paper Norway look like they could be a very decent side indeed. They currently have, I think, their best collection of players in a generation, and while they haven't done much of late neither had Belgium when we drew then in Brazil '14 qualification.

Norway don't have the same level of quality throughout their team as that Belgium side had but under the right coach using the right tactics I can very easily see them "clicking" to great effect.

Just watched the highlights back the other day could have been a different game entirely. Miller had a sniff early on, on another day he goes by the keeper for a tap in. The free kick from the Caldwell sending off takes a big deflection off Scott brown. 

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Just watched the highlights back the other day could have been a different game entirely. Miller had a sniff early on, on another day he goes by the keeper for a tap in. The free kick from the Caldwell sending off takes a big deflection off Scott brown. 

We had nae luck in that campaign 😂

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think both a win and a draw are fantastic results. Even a loss shoudn't put us into panic stations. A loss to Georgia would though.

If we can beat Georgia home and away, and Cyprus away, then we might still be in a good position come the Norway game at Hampden, needing only a draw. 

Saying all that, I do think we will win tomorrow. They are relatively weak defensively, and hitting them on the counter could be very effective.

Depends how the game pans out really in my opinion. 

If we batter them for 90 minutes but fail to score and it finishes 0-0 then a draw will certainly not be a fantastic result. It could prove crucial at the end of the campaign but I doubt any of us would celebrate wildly if that happened. 

If it’s a close game and we come out with a draw but could easily have lost then a draw will be a tremendous result. 

Any sort of win would be fantastic. 

Like you say though whatever happens we really need to win on Tuesday. Getting something in Georgia later in the year is another matter altogether and I’m not convinced we will. A win over there will certainly prove difficult. 

18 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Depends how the game pans out really in my opinion. 

If we batter them for 90 minutes but fail to score and it finishes 0-0 then a draw will certainly not be a fantastic result. It could prove crucial at the end of the campaign but I doubt any of us would celebrate wildly if that happened. 

If it’s a close game and we come out with a draw but could easily have lost then a draw will be a tremendous result. 

Any sort of win would be fantastic. 

Like you say though whatever happens we really need to win on Tuesday. Getting something in Georgia later in the year is another matter altogether and I’m not convinced we will. A win over there will certainly prove difficult. 

If it's a last minute McTominay equaliser, then it'll feel very much like a victory. And it'll also totally deflate Norway for the rest of the campaign. Which could lead to them dropping even more points. 

Though, I partly disagree with what you said about battering them 0-0. I think that it could be heartening if we dominate a team of Norway's calibre away from home. It would be worse if we are holding on for dear life and it ends 0-0. We need confidence going into the Georgia game.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

If it's a last minute McTominay equaliser, then it'll feel very much like a victory. And it'll also totally deflate Norway for the rest of the campaign. Which could lead to them dropping even more points. 

Though, I partly disagree with what you said about battering them 0-0. I think that it could be heartening if we dominate a team of Norway's calibre away from home. It would be worse if we are holding on for dear life and it ends 0-0. We need confidence going into the Georgia game.

Aye true but there are so many ways the game could unfold. 

I think the one thing we can all agree on is stopping Norway from winning tomorrow would massively boost our chances of qualifying. A win would be a bonus but as long as we don’t lose we are still in command. 

Just a matter of following it up with a win on Tuesday and we can start looking forward to the games in September. Sounds simple when you put it like that doesn’t it? 

34 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye true but there are so many ways the game could unfold. 

I think the one thing we can all agree on is stopping Norway from winning tomorrow would massively boost our chances of qualifying. A win would be a bonus but as long as we don’t lose we are still in command. 

Just a matter of following it up with a win on Tuesday and we can start looking forward to the games in September. Sounds simple when you put it like that doesn’t it? 

I am forever reading about the overriding fear of Norway players but lets not undersell ourselves at all. We have players Norwegians will be fearing plus we are going into this game having been im better form over the last two years than Norway. It is an important game but I would say even a defeat there is no cause to panic providing we beat Georgia.