Prostrate Checks - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

For those of a certain age how often do you have a blood test ? From 55 it’s been every year for me but for around 5 months I have some indicators so I had a test 11 days ago at the doctors and it came back today as normal. I was convinced I had left it too late as well. 

if your concerned get to the doctors ASAP. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am glad to hear everything is fine Eddard.

Obviously this is not an illness I will suffer from but just wanted to post as my husband wanted a blood test and was told by the doctors receptionist that there was no such test.  He is 60 , he doesn’t have any symptoms but thought you could get a test when over a certain age and just wanted reassurance. But he was told it didn’t exist. 
He is getting a general wellbeing examination through a private policy I can buy discounted through my work, this will include the blood test.. But we have found out now you can get a test  if over 50 so if anyone is considering this dont be fobbed off by a receptionist if you do make enquiries. 

You can get a PSA test from your Dr and it's apparently quite straight forward.

Your Dr can also give you a prostate check in a few mins (I'm sure there's a Billy Connolly joke/sketch).

Bend over, gloves, gel and hand up your bum.

My dad was 81 when diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer and passed away 14 months later.

I had a check within 12 months but should get checked every year or two at least in my 50s. Planning on get checked again soon.

There's a possible hereditary element in males too but all men should get checked regularly by middle age.

Edited by fringo

I am having a colonoscapy on Monday, think that will include my prostate, same area I believe. I had one 15 year ago, so my wife suggested I get another as I'm retiring in 3 weeks. Better safe than sorry as I will be 55 years young. I will be sedated this time, no idea why, but quite happy to be asleep while they stick a probe up my arse.. Think everybody should get one. I lost a dear mate who waited far to long and ended up with 5 small tumors in his prostate. It may be uncomfortable, but it also may save your life.. I'm just not to keen on the prep the night before, drinking liquids and shitting my entire insides out.. Sorry for the graphic description, bit hey ho, has to be done......

21 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I am having a colonoscapy on Monday, think that will include my prostate, same area I believe. I had one 15 year ago, so my wife suggested I get another as I'm retiring in 3 weeks. Better safe than sorry as I will be 55 years young. I will be sedated this time, no idea why, but quite happy to be asleep while they stick a probe up my arse.. Think everybody should get one. I lost a dear mate who waited far to long and ended up with 5 small tumors in his prostate. It may be uncomfortable, but it also may save your life.. I'm just not to keen on the prep the night before, drinking liquids and shitting my entire insides out.. Sorry for the graphic description, bit hey ho, has to be done......

I had a Colonoscopy in USA 6 weeks back - typical thing in the USA when you hit 50, and medical aid covers the cost which is around $3K - clena bill of health - although i had Colon Resection 3 years ago, and they removed 6-10 inches of colon (they operated on me with the Da Vinci Robot) 

- the clenip laxative is disgusting pre procedure 

Edited by euan2020
clarity

1 hour ago, euan2020 said:

I had a Colonoscopy in USA 6 weeks back - typical thing in the USA when you hit 50, and medical aid covers the cost which is around $3K - clena bill of health - although i had Colon Resection 3 years ago, and they removed 6-10 inches of colon (they operated on me with the Da Vinci Robot) 

- the clenip laxative is disgusting pre procedure 

I just picked up the laxatif mate. It's fuckin horrible. 4 litres I have to drink !! Then shit masel fir 4 hours..🤣🤣🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

11 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I just picked up the laxatif mate. It's fuckin horrible. 4 litres I have to drink !! Then shit masel fir 4 hours..🤣🤣🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I had a colonoscopy about 15 yrs ago. I honestly didn’t find the laxative bit that bad 😁 The hardest thing was not being able to eat for about 20 hrs beforehand. I don’t know what I was expecting , I drank the stuff and thought something was going to happen immediately so I sat on the loo. Nothing happened for ages ., It was a bit of an anti climax tbh 😁

You will be glad you are getting sedated. I dont remember anything about it but some folk I know got no sedation and it was pretty unpleasant. 
Be be prepared to fart for Scotland afterwards. I could make a comment about hot air here but i wont 😉

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I had a colonoscopy about 15 yrs ago. I honestly didn’t find the laxative bit that bad 😁 The hardest thing was not being able to eat for about 20 hrs beforehand. I don’t know what I was expecting , I drank the stuff and thought something was going to happen immediately so I sat on the loo. Nothing happened for ages ., It was a bit of an anti climax tbh 😁

You will be glad you are getting sedated. I dont remember anything about it but some folk I know got no sedation and it was pretty unpleasant. 
Be be prepared to fart for Scotland afterwards. I could make a comment about hot air here but i wont 😉

🤣🤣🤣. The farting after, oh I remember that in the recovery room. I could not believe what came oot ma arse.. It was like the fuckin Alamo !! Soooooo embarrassing. The night before, same thing on the cludgie, no warning, here we go, all out attack !! 🤣🤣🤣

On 3/30/2023 at 8:56 PM, fringo said:

You can get a PSA test from your Dr and it's apparently quite straight forward.

Your Dr can also give you a prostate check in a few mins (I'm sure there's a Billy Connolly joke/sketch).

Bend over, gloves, gel and hand up your bum.

My dad was 81 when diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer and passed away 14 months later.

I had a check within 12 months but should get checked every year or two at least in my 50s. Planning on get checked again soon.

There's a possible hereditary element in males too but all men should get checked regularly by middle age.

Jeez fringo, I'm not sure they're doing it right. I've had a check a couple of times and it was only a finger 🙃 have never had my colonoscopy but I've had the camera doon the willy which was bloody uncomfortable. 

5 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Jeez fringo, I'm not sure they're doing it right. I've had a check a couple of times and it was only a finger 🙃 have never had my colonoscopy but I've had the camera doon the willy which was bloody uncomfortable. 

The Willie Camera !! Had that done anaw. I nearly fainted...😳😳😳😢😢😢

15 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Clenpiq was only 2 bottles of 250 ml   - drink plenty of water - procedure is pretty much nothing - it's that pre op stuff that is bad -   

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

strange - i was opposite - fart alot but after colonoscopy no farting - and afterwards not the trepid smell i normally am - wife is not impressed when i tell her farting is my hobby 

i go regualr to bathroom. so laxative worked within hour - and even though i took it - no need for second laxative  

38 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

strange - i was opposite - fart alot but after colonoscopy no farting - and afterwards not the trepid smell i normally am - wife is not impressed when i tell her farting is my hobby 

i go regualr to bathroom. so laxative worked within hour - and even though i took it - no need for second laxative  

😂

The laxatives might have been worse for you as you had a genuine colon issue. My colonoscopy was a bit unnecessary in hindsight . I went to the docs as I was up a lot during the night peeing and after tests were done which confirmed nothing was irregular they decided to give me a colonoscopy because in the process of their questioning it was decided that I wasn’t going that often. 
Everything was fine though. All the colonoscopy established is that I had a ‘ particularly long colon and that it was a tricky operation to navigate through it ‘.

The surgeon said that the reason I wasnt going so often is because of the time it would take for my poo to meander its way through the lazy river to the ocean.
Well, that was my interpretation. It was probably correct as I find exercise helps a lot. 

I got my prostate checked in Philippines 15 years ago. The nurse produced this contraption that looked like a 1970s TV mike. Thing was massive. I was half expecting Ted Rodgers to appear from behind the curtain giving it the 321 pish.

Turns out it was just a UTI I had. Not a pleasant experience all the same and wasn't helped by a giggling nurse.

19 hours ago, bonzo said:

😂🤣🤣😂

6 minutes ago, tartandon said:

Never had a colonoscopy, but have had an endoscopy (camera down the throat) and that was horrendous.

If they ever want to stick a camera in any of your holes, get a general anesthetic!!!

They sometimes do one of them from both ends. If you are lucky they will do the top end first.