Forzia Scotia - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Forzia Scotia

csinclair

What a cracking video, thanks for finding this. This should be shown to every young player who is "torn between" a championship club and a lower Serie A team.

Pity Lewis' uncle did not make a similar choice all these years ago. Would have made him a much better player. 

27 minutes ago, loanhead-tartan said:

Was a very good watch. Liam Henderson got a brief mention but james Richardson said at the start the leagues 4 Scottish players , Henderson plays for empoli who are in serie A thought he might have got more coverage 

Henderson's omission might be an imaging rights thing with him not being a (current) Scotland international at any level, given the doc was filmed for/by the SFA

Gonna try and give it a watch this week.

10 hours ago, loanhead-tartan said:

Was a very good watch. Liam Henderson got a brief mention but james Richardson said at the start the leagues 4 Scottish players , Henderson plays for empoli who are in serie A thought he might have got more coverage 

Tbf I think Richardson said the four players who have been involved in the full international squads. I know Doig hasn't been capped but he was in the full squad last year. Henderson hasn't I don't think.

Otherwise it would have opened the door to others - for example Henderson wasn't the only one omitted. Harvey St Clair (capped for U21s) plays in Serie C.

Managed to watch it last night, Ferguson, Doig and Grimshaw all seem like nice well-grounded young people. Clearly open-minded and keen to embrace the challenge and make it a positive asset of their playing experience that they can take into internationals.

It was also nice to see the further developed side with Clelland who has been there for years, moved around and made a life there.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Ferguson is going to be a great assett to scotland. He's going to be as good as mcginn has been so far

John McGinn is the 7th top scorer of all time for us so let's hope so. 

He's only five goals of McCoist which is mental! 

Ceudmilefailte are you serious, International Football has moved on so much from the Dalglish time. Every team is set up and organised, even the so called easy games for us are still a tight game.

There still are a couple of games you expect to win but not many, and remember we have been around pot3/4 for the last 10 years+ which make what JM has done even better.

Yeah pretty horrendous take. Looking at McGinn's goals to game ratio for the last 2 calendar years (e.g not including San Marino hattrick), 8 goals in 23 appearances. Mostly against very handy teams.

We would be delighted by our standards if we got that kind of return from our main strikers over the last 2 or 3 decades

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure how many times Law, Dalglish and McCoist got to play San Marino and the likes 

Not sure what your point is. McCoist scored against similar quality of opposition to Mcginns.. 

on a side note Mccoist only has 61 caps. I would have expected more. Mcginn is already on 52

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Not sure what your point is. McCoist scored against similar quality of opposition to Mcginns.. 

on a side note Mccoist only has 61 caps. I would have expected more. Mcginn is already on 52

We had a fair few options in the 80s upfront to be fair and then he had the leg break early 90s when he was at his peak.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

A lot of McCoist's caps were also for coming on as a sub. 

1 hour ago, ghorne67 said:

We had a fair few options in the 80s upfront to be fair and then he had the leg break early 90s when he was at his peak.

It wasn't a criticism of him, I was just surprised but then when you look at the list of our most capped players we only have 1 above 100 and only 3 above 80 ☹️

26 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It wasn't a criticism of him, I was just surprised but then when you look at the list of our most capped players we only have 1 above 100 and only 3 above 80 ☹️

I think with our  current crop of players and with practically the abolition of any meaningless friendlies save 1 or 2 max a year, the 80 cap threshold will be broken at least a handful of times over the course of this decade,

21 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure how many times Law, Dalglish and McCoist got to play San Marino and the likes 

I am stunned. You seem to think international football is easier to succeed than the 60s and 70s? Seriously? Teams that were cannon fodder back in the 60s and 70s are now qualifying for tournaments and are no longer pushovers. Those are teams like Turkey,  Finland, Iceland, Norway and lots more. They were of your San Marino standards today and I'd hazard a guess your idols got their fair share of goals against those teams. Back in the 60s and 70s qualifying campaigns sometimes consisted of as little as four matches now it averages double that and there are countless instances of upsets (not just for us) proving international football has far more depth and more intensity than the 60s and 70s.

12 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

I love how threads on this board always go way off topic. Current Scottish internationals playing in Serie A becomes a debate about goals scored by Ally McCoist and John McGinn and their respective standard of opposition.

Never change TAMB.

Apologies.

I have watched the documentary on YouTube - a very good watch. Ferguson and Doig both speak of it as a big leap and culture change  having to learn a new language etc. It is refreshing that both have embraced that challenge and are amidst an exciting period in their lives. Ferguson feels comfortable and thinks he will be in Italy for a few years. Good on the pair of them.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am stunned. You seem to think international football is easier to succeed than the 60s and 70s? Seriously? Teams that were cannon fodder back in the 60s and 70s are now qualifying for tournaments and are no longer pushovers. Those are teams like Turkey,  Finland, Iceland, Norway and lots more. They were of your San Marino standards today and I'd hazard a guess your idols got their fair share of goals against those teams. Back in the 60s and 70s qualifying campaigns sometimes consisted of as little as four matches now it averages double that and there are countless instances of upsets (not just for us) proving international football has far more depth and more intensity than the 60s and 70s.

As far as I am aware Puskas was the only player in Europe to score more than 50 international goals last centuary. That suggests it is a lot easier now. 

Mcginn scored three in a swimming pool against San Marino and two in a game we stolled against the Faroes.

I could be wrong but the only team on a par with San Marino, Andorra and Gibraltar  in the good old days was Luxembourg.

People going on about McGinns goal scoring rate are simply looking at figures on a piece of paper.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

As far as I am aware Puskas was the only player in Europe to score more than 50 international goals last centuary. That suggests it is a lot easier now. 

Mcginn scored three in a swimming pool against San Marino and two in a game we stolled against the Faroes.

I could be wrong but the only team on a par with San Marino, Andorra and Gibraltar  in the good old days was Luxembourg.

People going on about McGinns goal scoring rate are simply looking at figures on a piece of paper.

McCoist scored 2 against Malta, 1 against Canada, 2 against San Marino. Thats 5 of his 19 against minnows.