Angus Gunn - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Angus Gunn

58 minutes ago, scotlad said:

0e47cf1d998652181a9e1f668071b5f5.jpg.ef2e98ecadf20fc8e0b2c8b8a7a42b46.jpg

Way beyond what it should be, as per.

At least he's taken the heat off poor old Oli McBurnie for a while though.

Aye seems to be more folk raging on here about Gunn than the Granny rule chancers in the U21s like Anderson and Fletcher that look to be buggering off the other way but we'll apparently welcome back with open arms if it doesn't work out?!  Baws to that!

It's a shame for guys that have turned up time after time to sit on the bench to be overlooked again but that's professional sport, if there's someone better then they'll get in ahead of you.  That said, it's very much yet to be seen if Gunn is actually better than Clark or Kelly.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

That said, it's very much yet to be seen if Gunn is actually better than Clark or Kelly.

Sure Clarke will go with who he and hos goalkeeping coach feels is best after a couple of days on the training ground.

It was not that long ago that there was talk Kelly would be dropped by Motherwell (though the change in manager has improved his form a bit with 2 clean sheets in 4 games IIRC), and Clark must be looking over his shoulder every time he see's Gordon walking into the gym and lifting weights like he was only coming back from a stubbed toe or something.....

14 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Put me between the posts !! Might no be that athletic looking, but I'd step in front of a freight train fir Scotland !!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

You would probably fill the goal but would need a 6 rung step ladder to touch the cross bar 😉

31 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Aye seems to be more folk raging on here about Gunn than the Granny rule chancers in the U21s like Anderson and Fletcher that look to be buggering off the other way but we'll apparently welcome back with open arms if it doesn't work out?!  Baws to that!

It's a shame for guys that have turned up time after time to sit on the bench to be overlooked again but that's professional sport, if there's someone better then they'll get in ahead of you.  That said, it's very much yet to be seen if Gunn is actually better than Clark or Kelly.

If you're using that analogy then surely we should be saying "you chose England, you weren't good enough, tough tits"... surely THAT'S international sport!? this is our NATIONAL team, not some club team. 

The SFA was founded 150 years ago today, it wasn't founded to give English players another option. 

Edited by Bzzzz

42 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

If you're using that analogy then surely we should be saying "you chose England, you weren't good enough, tough tits"... surely THAT'S international sport!? this is our NATIONAL team, not some club team. 

The SFA was founded 150 years ago today, it wasn't founded to give English players another option. 

Aye I agree with you, I was simply stating that's how International football goes now unfortunately but if he turns up regularly, is good and helps us on the way to the Euros I'm not going to give a shit.  Also no-one has made any comment on my original question about Che Adams who did the exact same thing (minus liking a couple of silly tweets)and only made his mind up when the Euros were on the horizon!  (BTW I like Che Adams and I'm not criticising him just drawing obvious comparisons)

My main point was people seem angrier that someone has decided they actually want to play for us than they are about English lads who have clearly used our U21s as a stepping stone to the English set up and have even been told by the bloody coach that the door to return is always open!!  That IMO is far more worth getting upset about than a lad who is actually half Scottish (and lets be honest was never getting near the England Men's A set up anyway and he knows that) deciding he wants to play for Scotland.

Edited by kwhitelaw

44 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Why should life be as black & white as that? Some player's will make decisions at junior level due to practical reasons as much as what they feel. We have no idea or right to judge young players some of whom are just kids from mixed parentage backgrounds to commit to a national team when all they want to do is  play & learn the game. Quite frankly they have more important things to focus on like trying to prove they are good enough to get pro contracts & their studies.  Absolutely ridiculous idea to say to a teenager you've played for England at kiddie level football so that's it your stuck with them! 

There will always be plenty of examples such as Archie Gray , Fletcher's 2 son's & Jenson Weir,  just let them play if that's junior football for the country of their birth so be it. If when older they decide on us great if not good luck to them.

I would actually go further, young players who qualify for us or any other international team through a grandparent rule arguably show more commitment to wanting to learn & play by turning up at for under 16, 18 & under 21 international games often far away from their homes & school. It shows they have the right mentality to learn, are open minded & probably want to make their grandparent feel proud of them even though they often have very little real connection to that country. Again if they switch back to the nation of their birth later in life what gives us the right to judge!

Edited by theabsentee

14 hours ago, thesaint said:

The only embarrassing comments are from those apologists for this fanny who has taken the right c..t out of us.Will be ashamed when this guy runs out at Hampden and gives it the old applauding the fans shit.Be even more ashamed when some stupid articles clap back.

‘Ashamed’ hahahahaha. Get a life man he’s the best keeper we have and I’m sure he’ll give his all. He’s more Scottish than some of our current squad but was brought up in England, can’t blame him for trying his luck with them.

Some of the toys out the pram reactions in this thread are priceless. What an embarrassment!

The boys dad was a Scottish International and some people are questioning his right to play. Personally I don't think the drop off between him and Zander Clark would be all that noticeable but I hope Gunn goes on to get 50 caps now just to noise up the idiots on here....the Tartan Army's own 'McAryan Race Branch'

Edited by ghorne67

Basically if this boy picks up his debut next weekend and people boo him then that is beyond embarrassing, but I wouldn't put it past our support.

If you disagree with the above and call yourself a Scotland fan then please have a long hard look at yourself.

Having said that, that's him absolutely nailed on to have a howler 😅

20 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Basically if this boy picks up his debut next weekend and people boo him then that is beyond embarrassing, but I wouldn't put it past our support.

If you disagree with the above and call yourself a Scotland fan then please have a long hard look at yourself.

Hopefully we avoid Chris Martin v Slovenia situation (though that was more directed at Strachan and his "poor" subs that night, rather than at Martin himself), or maybe we want that when Gunn saves a Álvaro Morata penalty that gets the whole of Hampden singing "your no English any more" 😂

2 hours ago, kwhitelaw said:

It is a bit, but like you say, it's professional sport, not weans football where someone gets a turn regardless of ability because they turn up on time with clean boots every week.

If I was Clark or Kelly I'd feel grateful to even be in with a sniff of a Scotland cap, because not so long ago they wouldn't even be in consideration.

29 minutes ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I don't think that will happen.  You get plenty of throbbers at Scotland games but I have never witnessed some of the sentiments expressed on here being voiced out in the real world.

Fingers crossed his debut is less eventful than his faither's though!  😬

14 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Hopefully we avoid Chris Martin v Slovenia situation (though that was more directed at Strachan and his "poor" subs that night, rather than at Martin himself), or maybe we want that when Gunn saves a Álvaro Morata penalty that gets the whole of Hampden singing "your no English any more" 😂

The big man had the last laugh that night though.

this is why he should have nominated his national team at 18.  I don’t want England’s cast offs thanks.  In the same way as i berate all the “irish” Scots that play for them.

international football is becoming a joke and meaningless.

2 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Good one. So if i disagree with you then basically i'm not a real Scotland fan. Brilliant. Makes me wonder what i have been doing at Scotland matches home and away for the last 50 years or so. 🙄🙄🙄

45 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

this is why he should have nominated his national team at 18.  I don’t want England’s cast offs thanks.  In the same way as i berate all the “irish” Scots that play for them.

international football is becoming a joke and meaningless.

Just becoming like club football in national shirts. Fail totally to see what anybody will get out of international football if the team is full of guys who don't consider themselves to be from the country they are representing. The whole point of international football and it's difference from club football is lost. It will be totally pointless. The very essence of it will be gone. 😳😳

41 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

it may come to that.  It’s not binary, but I would not feel like I was supporting Scotland watching a team of players who don’t consider themselves Scots.

I can relate to that I suppose. In the same way in theory I would want to see the Scotland rugby team do well but I struggle to care about the rugby (generally) being a toffs day out full of people who couldn't identify less with the national anthem if they tried. I understand there is quite a broadening spectrum on what it means to support the national football team and its relation to club football.

I would just hope anyone who does attend the games would support any player pulling on a shirt, no matter the circumstances.

44 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Good one. So if i disagree with you then basically i'm not a real Scotland fan. Brilliant. Makes me wonder what i have been doing at Scotland matches home and away for the last 50 years or so. 🙄🙄🙄

It might be worth remembering that international football isn't the same as it was 50 years ago then...

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

it may come to that.  It’s not binary, but I would not feel like I was supporting Scotland watching a team of players who don’t consider themselves Scots.

We’ve had a third/half of a team who haven’t become Scottish till a point in their careers for a long time