SNP leadership election - Page 27 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

SNP leadership election

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Humza's track record is dismal to say the least, feck auld to do with religion 

I get that as well.  I just think and in my opinion he answered the questions well.  How do you think you would have done as Health Secretary through the pandemic??  I know that it would be tough and that opponents of the SNP will use statistics against him or anyone else who had that job at that time.  I wish we lived in a country that was free from predudice.  But we don't unfortunately.  You must agree with that.  It is also the same with Kate Forbes.  People here will have their own views on her because of her religion.  We live in and age where records and political achievements don't really matter.  It comes down to the headlines for the common folk.  So, I disagree, it does come down to basics like religion and prejudice.

You would take a balanced look.  Like myself.  But half of Scotland don't do that.  They look at headlines.  Watch the Old Firm game today with the biggest crowd and audience.  One have are for the union and the other for a united Ireland.  And you are saying it is nothing to do with religion?

6 minutes ago, SamP said:

I get that as well.  I just think and in my opinion he answered the questions well.  How do you think you would have done as Health Secretary through the pandemic??  I know that it would be tough and that opponents of the SNP will use statistics against him or anyone else who had that job at that time.  I wish we lived in a country that was free from predudice.  But we don't unfortunately.  You must agree with that.  It is also the same with Kate Forbes.  People here will have their own views on her because of her religion.  We live in and age where records and political achievements don't really matter.  It comes down to the headlines for the common folk.  So, I disagree, it does come down to basics like religion and prejudice.

if we are being honest, there is only one candidate that is having their religion held against them.. 

55 minutes ago, SamP said:

I just watched Laura K interview with Humza and found myself skipping on after watching about 2 mins. 

That’s me, as an independence supporter, SNP voter who is interested in politics. If I can’t be bothered watching an interview with him at this critical juncture, what is his appeal to the wider Scottish public going to be like? To me, that is a huge worry. I don’t have any strong feelings against Humza but don’t think he’s the right man for the job.

Edited by AlfieMoon

43 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

if we are being honest, there is only one candidate that is having their religion held against them.. 

You are probably right.  But the press hold a lot of sway here.  I have a friend who doesn't understand politics but will be swayed with what the press says and the religious side as well.  She will vote on that basis.  Nothing will sway her from that.  Anyway, that's my view on it.  I was broken hearted in 2014 and can't see us doing any better if we even get another one.  Have a good day.  I am moving to Benbecula to plant the saltire there and have our freedom!!!

Just now, AlfieMoon said:

I just watched Laura K interview with Humza and found myself skipping on after watching about 2 mins. 

That’s me as an independence supporter and SNP voter who is interested in politics. If I can’t be bothered watching an interview with him at this critical juncture, what is his appeal to the wider Scottish public going to be like? To me, that is a huge worry. I don’t have any strong feelings against Humza but don’t think he’s the right man for the job.

Agree.  There is not much of a choice I am afraid.

2 hours ago, SamP said:

You are probably right.  But the press hold a lot of sway here.  I have a friend who doesn't understand politics but will be swayed with what the press says and the religious side as well.  She will vote on that basis.  Nothing will sway her from that.  Anyway, that's my view on it.  I was broken hearted in 2014 and can't see us doing any better if we even get another one.  Have a good day.  I am moving to Benbecula to plant the saltire there and have our freedom!!!

nice part of the world that

4 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

nice part of the world that

On another note, I see you are from Portsoy.  Just speaking to my partner there and we are going to hire a campervan in July and go up the North East.  My uncle used to go to Portsoy every year but I have never been.

On 2/24/2023 at 3:13 PM, phart said:

I just read Black's twitter there, not seeing anything wrong with it in general.

If you ignore the part where Black insinuates that Forbes' faith-based belief that marriage should be between a man and woman is akin to opposing mixed race marriage, and some hyperbolic nonsense about her, i.e. Black's, human rights being denied (or words to that effect), then it was pretty fair comment.

I'd not much time for Mhairi Black before her wee "intervention" the other day, and I've even less now.

On 2/24/2023 at 9:30 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

What will lose Ash Regan votes, however, is Ash Regan. 

At first I thought she wasn't very good but it turns out she's actually terrible! She comes across like a better presented, more assertive Liz Truss.

After watching her I wondered how someone whose ideas appeared so interesting in writing could be so bad at expressing them, then I remembered that "her" ideas are actually Robin McAlpine's. 

It might be interesting to see some of these ideas tried out but I doubt Regan would have the competence to execute them properly; and as we've seen south of the border, a puppet leader controlled by unelected advisors doesn't make for a good leader of government.

8 minutes ago, scotlad said:

If you ignore the part where Black insinuates that Forbes' faith-based belief that marriage should be between a man and woman is akin to opposing mixed race marriage, and some hyperbolic nonsense about her, i.e. Black's, human rights being denied (or words to that effect), then it was pretty fair comment.

The first part is entirely correct though. Both come as prejudices because of an unfounded belief that same-sex and mixed race marriages are lesser in some way. Same sex cause god said it was lesser, miscegenation cause one race is lesser than the other.

There's been research papers written on the similiarities, articles written about it. Studies into miscegenation have been used to inform studies on same-sex marriages.

Thinking they are not at least partially akin is a function of your ignorance and not Black's.

5 hours ago, SamP said:

On another note, I see you are from Portsoy.  Just speaking to my partner there and we are going to hire a campervan in July and go up the North East.  My uncle used to go to Portsoy every year but I have never been.

Not overly much to do in Portsoy,fine chippers,ice cream and bonnie harbour , some really nice fishing villages along coast as well. My favourite place is covie,, it’s like stepping back 200 years 

6 minutes ago, aaid said:

I imagine most MSPs/MPs will be doing the right thing and talking to their brances and/or waiting for the hustings

As i said before it's clear that those that endorsed early havent

Ash Regan will do for me 👍

I’d grudgingly accept Forbes if need be but after watching closely I reckon Humza will provide nothing new. I won’t have a vote but a few of the yoons I’ve spoken to are hopeful Humza gets it, I think that says it all!

8 minutes ago, slasher said:

Ash Regan will do for me 👍

I’d grudgingly accept Forbes if need be but after watching closely I reckon Humza will provide nothing new. I won’t have a vote but a few of the yoons I’ve spoken to are hopeful Humza gets it, I think that says it all!

Whatever you think about Ash Regan the reality is that she is the 8/1 outsider of 3 and it is going to be between Humza plus the SNP machine against Forbes

48 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Whatever you think about Ash Regan the reality is that she is the 8/1 outsider of 3 and it is going to be between Humza plus the SNP machine against Forbes

Based on what?

The members decide as far as I can see so the party machine is irrelevant.

I guess we’re going to find out what this massive membership really want.

edit to say an online poll of members I’ve seen that was pulled has Humza bottom 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by slasher

7 minutes ago, slasher said:

Based on what?

edit to say an online poll of members I’ve seen that was pulled has Humza bottom 🤷🏼‍♂️

Based on how the majority of SNP members view ALBA - which although technically she isnt, she is the face of it 

And that's even before her coming up against scrutiny and not doing well 

You could also imagine Ash Regan as the leader of the SNP that is in opposition - but not as First Minister of Scotland IMO

18 minutes ago, slasher said:

Based on what?

How did this online polling company get the contact details for party members? Did Mr Murrell sell them?

7 hours ago, Orraloon said:

How did this online polling company get the contact details for party members? Did Mr Murrell sell them?

Any polling comes with massive caveats.  There’s some self-selecting online polls which need to be taken with a big pinch of salt.  Even “proper” polls are not of SNP members but rather SNP voters, while that might be an approximation it’s not the same electorate.  You’d imagine by the fact they are members they may have stronger opinions than voters - not suggesting for a second they all share the same opinions.  

It all comes down to what individual members want from the next FM.

More of the same then Humza gets their vote. Forbes seems guilty of foot in the mouth before she is even in power and could be manna from heaven giving yoons lots to attack her on.

The only candidate who seems more focussed on getting us independence is Ash Regan. I get that may be a media ploy by the union-led media but even so I want to hear more independence focussed ideas from Forbes and Humza which, worryingly, I have not heard yet. I am done with pissing around plodding along in this status quo and want a more aggressive approach by the next FM.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

47 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It all comes down to what individual members want from the next FM.

More of the same then Humza gets their vote. Forbes seems guilty of foot in the mouth before she is even in power and could be manna from heaven giving yoons lots to attack her on.

The only candidate who seems more focussed on getting us independence is Ash Regan. I get that may be a media ploy by the union-led media but even so I want to hear more independence focussed ideas from Forbes and Humza which, worryingly, I have not heard yet. I am done with pissing around plodding along in this status quo and want a more aggressive approach by the next FM.

Believe Forbes is having a thing today

I'm actually hoping for that too as aside from all the faith hoo ha last week their wasnt much clear detail about what her ideas are