Scottish Cup 23 - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Cup 23

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Bobster said:

As I said, I didn’t see the build up to it but how many touches do you give a team before you can put a tackle in?

To be fair, the Partick player signaled he was giving the ball back. If it was justified, Beale would never have allowed the walk in goal..

“We have this evening relieved Ian McCall, Alan Archibald and Neil Scally, of their duties in relation to the first team with immediate effect

The club would like to place on record it’s sincere appreciation to all three for their contributions to Partick Thistle over many years”

Harsh. They’re one point off the play offs. 

Edited by EddardStark

36 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

“We have this evening relieved Ian McCall, Alan Archibald and Neil Scally, of their duties in relation to the first team with immediate effect

The club would like to place on record it’s sincere appreciation to all three for their contributions to Partick Thistle over many years”

Harsh. They’re one point off the play offs. 

Odd timing. They've put it one of their best performances of the season and then sack the manager. I believe they lost their previous three games but the vast majority of football fans would not have expected anything other than a Rangers win today. If they'd sacked McCall before the game that would have made some sense, was he really going to have to have beat Rangers today to keep his job? That's bizarre.

18 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Odd timing. They've put it one of their best performances of the season and then sack the manager. I believe they lost their previous three games but the vast majority of football fans would not have expected anything other than a Rangers win today. If they'd sacked McCall before the game that would have made some sense, was he really going to have to have beat Rangers today to keep his job? That's bizarre.

Very odd timing, with a very un-Thistle like ruthlessness (we tend to hang onto managers until they have well exceeded their best before date). 

I can only guess the board have set their sites on promotion and don't feel McCall is the guy to take the team forward. I kind of agree with that. He's a good fella to bring in to steady the ship (which was required after the near-disastrous Gary Caldwell era) but if you want to go go that bit further, he's not your guy. That said, there was no great clamour amongst the support for him to go (his name was still being sung before and during the game yesterday).

It's ironic that he got his tactics spot on yesterday and gave the second best team in the country a hell of a game on their own turf; if his team has applied itself the same way against Hamilton and Cove then maybe he'd still be in a job!