"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

"UK and Ireland" Euro 2028 bid - Hampden Park

Bzzzz

7 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

If the Tournament is "The UK and Ireland" then Ireland will definitely be one of the automatic qualifiers

This is why it falls down - unless Scotland, England, Wales & NI draw lots

I’d be hugely surprised if that was the case but I guess we will just need to wait and see.

Still think originally it will be England only as the automatic qualifier as they have put forward more of the stadiums and facilities for this. If it is two, then the two best ranked nations which seems the fairest should be the way to go.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m hoping UEFA are looking at this and thinking it’s a ridiculous idea.  There’s never been a lop-sided hosting before has there, never mind one with four hangers-on.  Causes so many problems - either share the venues out, lose a two or three hosts or just give it to England. 

15 hours ago, adamntg said:

I’m hoping UEFA are looking at this and thinking it’s a ridiculous idea.  There’s never been a lop-sided hosting before has there, never mind one with four hangers-on.  Causes so many problems - either share the venues out, lose a two or three hosts or just give it to England. 

It's ridiculous, given the "behaviour" of England fans at the last final at the london echo-dome how the hell can anyone be considering giving them a tournament to host!? 

Don't want anything to do with this for SO many reasons. 

Edited by Bzzzz

I wonder why Spain never seem to bid for anything. Haven’t hosted anything since WC 82?

Maybe a lot of the stadiums a bit too dated? With Bernabeu and Nou Camp getting done up, and new stadiums like Atletico you’d think it would be a great football country for a tournament again. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

On 7/29/2023 at 7:40 AM, adamntg said:

England could easily hold the tournament on their own. They've plenty of grounds that meet the capacity requirements (although there's more to it than that, I'm sure).

I can't see the sense in involving the other FAs, unless money is an issue or they just felt they wouldn't get their bid over the line if they went it alone. If it's the latter that would be quite ironic, considering all the other contenders have pulled out.

3 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

I wonder why Spain never seem to bid for anything. Haven’t hosted anything since WC 82?

Maybe a lot of the stadiums a bit too dated? With Bernabeu and Nou Camp getting done up, and new stadiums like Atletico you’d think it would be a great football country for a tournament again. 

They're bidding for the World Cup in 2030 along with Portugal and Morocco.

8 minutes ago, AlfieMoon said:

Ah, can’t remember if I’d heard that. 

That would be a decent WC to be fair and bit different with Morocco in the mix. 

And a political wet dream as far as Fifa are concerned 

On a broader note, I feel that tournaments are quickly beginning to lose their character and individuality due to having multiple hosts. Neighbouring countries equally sharing a tournament is just about acceptable, but lop-sided bids such as the 2026 WC and the impending Euro 2028 tournament are ridiculous. They also seem to be politically motivated.

Cross continent bids will take things even further. Football is fast losing its soul, if it hasn’t already!!……or maybe we just have to move with the times!?

UEFA and FIFA have certainly limited their future options by increasing the participants to 24 and 48 for each respective tournament. Therefore, it would seem that single hosts may soon be a thing of the past.

To me, it feels like a further dilution of football all in the name of generating more financial gain for those in power.

Edited by Daz1982

3 minutes ago, Daz1982 said:

On a broader note, I feel that tournaments are quickly beginning to lose their character and individuality due to multiply hosts. Neighbouring countries equally sharing a tournament is just about acceptable, but lop-sided bids such as the 2026 WC and the impending Euro 2028 tournament are ridiculous. They seem to be politically motivated.

Cross continent bids will take things even further. Football is fast losing its soul, if it hasn’t already!!……or maybe we just have to move with the times!?

UEFA and FIFA have certainly limited their options by increasing the participants to 24 and 48 for each respective tournament. Therefore, it would seem that single hosts may soon be a thing of the past.

To me, it feels like a further dilution of football all in the name of generating more financial gain for those in power.

Agreed.

Joint bids are sh*t - Unless they come in the form of a logical/regional thing like Benelux, Scandinavia or Balkan.

Cross country bids are good but only if they involve countries that couldnt host on their own.

Ie a Celtic / Scandanavian, Baltic bid etc.

Countries like Italy, Spain, England or Germany dont need to do a cross country bid and for me just doesnt sit right because you know fine well that the final and most of the focus will be in the big country.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

There was talk in the media at the weekend that the Northern Irish FA are proposing a mini tournament to select the 2 hosts that would qualify automatically. 

Any mention of the format? If they did it as a round robin tournament, surely you would have to play everyone home and away to make it fair, that would be a lot of games. Would have to be played before the actual qualifying draw was made as well. 

Also, if England didn’t finish in the top two, it would have to be replayed😉

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

There was talk in the media at the weekend that the Northern Irish FA are proposing a mini tournament to select the 2 hosts that would qualify automatically. 

Getting more ridiculous as time passes

35 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Getting more ridiculous as time passes

Totally agree.  Why not just have everyone qualifying as normal?  

It’s just horrible, so many problems with it.  Just give to England, let them qualify automatically. 

12 hours ago, Daz1982 said:

On a broader note, I feel that tournaments are quickly beginning to lose their character and individuality due to having multiple hosts. Neighbouring countries equally sharing a tournament is just about acceptable, but lop-sided bids such as the 2026 WC and the impending Euro 2028 tournament are ridiculous. They also seem to be politically motivated.

UEFA and FIFA have certainly limited their future options by increasing the participants to 24 and 48 for each respective tournament. Therefore, it would seem that single hosts may soon be a thing of the past.

Couldn't agree more. It's all about fkin money. 

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Bugger that. Should be decided on the Fifa Rankings.

What's that? We're up to 30th now above Wales. Great timing. 

22 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

Couldn't agree more. It's all about fkin money. 

It is all about the money - but not in the way I think you mean. The reason we are getting all these multi-country bids is the perceived economic benefit of hosting these tournaments has declined markedly in recent years. If we discount Qatar which was a massive anomaly in terms of the cost of hosting (they spent over $200bn!) then the cost of hosting a WC as an example is around $10-20bn, probably at the higher end for a country like the UK (the last couple of 'normal' tournaments were Brazil 2014 at $20bn and Russia 2018 at $16bn). This outlay was historically balanced by the expectation that the additional tourist visits and the boom in construction to build the infrastructure would essentially pay for the hosting cost and perhaps even turn a 'profit'. In actual fact what has been found is that visitor numbers actually drop - during the London Olympics for instance visitor numbers decreased markedly, the same in Beijing. Significant tourist attractions saw their visitor numbers fall by more than 20% in these major tournament years. In addition, the legacy of stadiums as significant infrastructure projects is challenging to say the least. Even in a global city like London, the Olympic stadium essentially had to be given away (West Ham paid around £15m for a £700m stadium) after the event as the demand for it was so low. So what do hosts actually get for their huge expenditure on these events? A bit of soft power and a chance to put their country on the TV of every house on the globe - that is definitely worth something but the value is diminishing compared to the cost. 

All of this considered, you still get the soft power and the publicity if you split the cost between two or three countries. You still get the jobs-boom from infrastructure development during the construction period but you are left with fewer white elephants. You also get a more sustainable number of visitors who detract less from the traditional tourist sector in your major tourist centers.

All this is very difficult to write about though as the level of available sources of information on it are pretty sparse. It's a pretty long winded way of saying I don't think the move to multi-country bids is an attempt by either FIFA/Uefa/whomever to money-grab, nor is it the same from the host countries, I think it is simply drawn from a growing realisation that spending billions of pounds on stadiums for a month of use is economically unjustifiable especially in times of economic hardship.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:55 AM, wanderer said:

They could do it League Cup-style: five teams, two home games and two away games, three points for a win, one point for a draw after 90 mins then straight to a penalty shootout with a bonus point for the winner.

I know it's daft but it's no dafter than the alternative of having a tournament with five host nations. 🙃

11 hours ago, scotlad said:

They could do it League Cup-style: five teams, two home games and two away games, three points for a win, one point for a draw after 90 mins then straight to a penalty shootout with a bonus point for the winner.

I know it's daft but it's no dafter than the alternative of having a tournament with five host nations. 🙃

This idea will die a death as soon as the English say they get one of the host places regardless (and tbf 90%+ of the matches are in England anyway).