Indyref 2 (2) - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Interesting results. There is a narrative from Unionist politicians that England subsidises Scotland and that is reinforced by years of media portrayal of Scots as feckless, alcohol addicted etc. Having lived in England most of my life I'm surprised more people in England don't think that England would be better off without us.

Wonder what Scottish unionists make of those figures and those that swear Scotland could not survive alone. I mean here we have English thinking they'd be worse off without subsidising us. How the hell does that work? 🤨

4 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Still at the condescending pish I see 

If the thread hadn’t been deleted, I’d have gone back and pulled out the last time six months or so ago when you came out with the same rumour.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Rumours there is away to be a push to replace blackford as Westminster leader, but who is behind it

Getting quoted in the notional now 

Might be more than a rumour..

18 minutes ago, stocky said:

Getting quoted in the notional now 

Might be more than a rumour..

Just spoke to a “source close to” Stephen Flynn who says he’s no idea about it.

First time that I’ve seen a name linked as a potential challenger though. 

7 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Interesting results. There is a narrative from Unionist politicians that England subsidises Scotland and that is reinforced by years of media portrayal of Scots as feckless, alcohol addicted etc. Having lived in England most of my life I'm surprised more people in England don't think that England would be better off without us.

I've had the same experience and I'm also surprised by these figures. Perhaps the arguments from Scotland are slowly making their way down south.

7 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

i would be slightly worried if i were a snp msp/mp in glasgow at the moment,, i have had this worry for a while... it will be squeaky bum time come the next election

Just to be clear what’s happened here.  First of all it’s a ward where Labour are the strongest party, so it’s no surprise that they won.  Secondly, turnout is way down on the elections and all parties total votes are down on the elections in May.  The reason for that is likely twofold, firstly by-elections generally have lower turnout and secondly, it’s in November.   

Labour appears to have been better at getting their vote out which is why their vote share has gone up but it doesn’t represent a physical crease in their vote rather they’ve got a bigger piece of a smaller pie. 

9 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

i would be slightly worried if i were a snp msp/mp in glasgow at the moment,, i have had this worry for a while... it will be squeaky bum time come the next election

Doubt it.  They'll be too busy celebrating that Alba didn't make any kind of a breakthrough.

Unexpected sweaty expletive ridden rant from a pensioner in Tesco this morning. Cause? Daily Express headline about SNP giving free phones to prisoners and how prisoners were using said phones in crime related activities. 

I didn't read the article and certainly not buying a rag like the Express so I can't comment on the policy, except I'd be suspicious of anything in that paper. What is likely is it reinforces pensioners belief that SNP are rubbish and that Indy is rubbish and no doubt potty mouthed pensioner tells everyone else. It's this sort of stuff that SNP needs to refute. Once upon a time Wings over Scotland used to be very good at that, I don't know who's doing it now.

The Daily Express, as far as I can tell, does nothing but produce absurd, semi-hysterical, anti-SNP/ anti-Scottish Government/anti-independence stories on an almost daily basis to a point where it's almost comical.

Anyone attempting to refute their drivel would spend little time doing anything else. We shouldn't be complacent but most of the stuff they come away with is so ridiculous surely no one other than cast iron No-voters will pay the remotest bit of attention anyway.

Article is in the Daily Mail and relates to the policy during covid - when visits were stopped - that prisoners were given mobile phones to keep in touch with families.   For all sorts of reasons that seemed to me like a good idea at the time but I’m assuming that visits have been restarted and maybe the phones should be taken back but I can understand that’s easier said than done.

I don’t buy the “organising crime from inside” angle, I bet that’s the case regardless.

20 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Unexpected sweaty expletive ridden rant from a pensioner in Tesco this morning. Cause? Daily Express headline about SNP giving free phones to prisoners and how prisoners were using said phones in crime related activities. 

I didn't read the article and certainly not buying a rag like the Express so I can't comment on the policy, except I'd be suspicious of anything in that paper. What is likely is it reinforces pensioners belief that SNP are rubbish and that Indy is rubbish and no doubt potty mouthed pensioner tells everyone else. It's this sort of stuff that SNP needs to refute. Once upon a time Wings over Scotland used to be very good at that, I don't know who's doing it now.

Any supermarket I visit I head for the newspaper stand and that’s the first paper I turn over so the sport pages are showing first, petty yes but makes me feel good those headlines don’t see the light of day for an hour or so, read somewhere that there sales are dire in Scotland, a few thousand only.

5 minutes ago, Broath Boy said:

Any supermarket I visit I head for the newspaper stand and that’s the first paper I turn over so the sport pages are showing first, petty yes but makes me feel good those headlines don’t see the light of day for an hour or so, read somewhere that there sales are dire in Scotland, a few thousand only.

A few months ago I was in M&S and noticed an old guy furtively hanging around the newspaper stand . He looked very suspicious so when he moved away I walked over to see what he had been doing. Turns out he had covered copies of The National with the paper he was buying. It was The Express 😂

I just took them off again and stuck them at the very bottom. Supermarket workers must have a laugh at the skullduggery around the newspaper stands. 

52 minutes ago, Broath Boy said:

Confession time. I have been known to do that as well, not least because papers like the Express seem to occupy a more prominent position.