Indyref 2 (2) - Page 100 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Amusing watching the snp inflighting on twitter already about the leadership.

There's been infighting in the SNP for as long as can remember (ie the 1970s). Understandable given the wide range of political opinions coalesced around the shared desire for independence. 

They've been fortunate to have had two very strong leaders for the past 20 years to keep the ship relatively steady, but I can see that being a major challenge now.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Be extremely hypocritical if they didn't call an early election. 

It would also be hypocritical of the opposition to call for one, when they have only just stopped moaning about the the cost of a potential referendum. But we are talking about politicians here, they don't mind being hypocritical. 

16 hours ago, scotlad said:

Sounds similar to how it works in the Netherlands and Germany, I believe.  People go to the supermarket, deposit their bottles and cans, and get a voucher that can be used towards their paying for their shopping.

I'm about the laziest cunt I know but even I can manage to store up my recycling and every week take it with me when I go my messages. The only practical difference I can see is instead of sticking it in the recycling it goes in a wee machine which will provides a receipt that you can use when you're paying for your shopping. I really don't see what the big deal is here.

It's not difficult at all and if you don't want to do it you dont need to. When I lived in Canada depending where our accom was we sometime saved up a whole load and took them back at once and sometimes we just stuck them in the recycling in our building if we couldnt be arsed.  The supermarkets in whistler and the recycling center did the returns manually, so there was a wee person not a machine but that was 11 years ago so it may have moved on since then I would imagine. 

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

its a ball ache.  And will require a vehicle and number of large bags to do.  If you order from england presumably it will not have this tax

It's really not a massive hassle and as I said above you dont have to do it. You can just shove the stuff in the recycling as normal. 

6 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Do you have to take the bottles back to the same shop that you bought them in? Or is the system more clever than that?

In canada you could just take them anywhere that operated a return centre

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

You seriously think that Joanna Cherry is a uniting force?

Depends what you mean by Uniting

She would split the SNP but unite half the SNP and Alba

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

There definitely will be a transfer of responsibility and that in itself is a fairly big change to address.

I do forget that not everyone gets the luxury of recycle bins . It’s probably one of those things that falls into the category ‘ if it aint broke don't try and fix it’ for some, but for others its a gentle encouragement to recycle. Any kind of hybrid of the 2 is probably unworkable. 

People’s behaviour needs to change. There are messy, lazy bassas in this country that cant even put a sweetie paper in the bin .

Spot on. I welcome anything that makes the place a bit less clatty.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

It's not difficult at all and if you don't want to do it you dont need to. When I lived in Canada depending where our accom was we sometime saved up a whole load and took them back at once and sometimes we just stuck them in the recycling in our building if we couldnt be arsed.  The supermarkets in whistler and the recycling center did the returns manually, so there was a wee person not a machine but that was 11 years ago so it may have moved on since then I would imagine. 

It's really not a massive hassle and as I said above you dont have to do it. You can just shove the stuff in the recycling as normal. 

In canada you could just take them anywhere that operated a return centre

I think the charge is going to be 20p, which is the same as it costs for a carrier bag. Most people use reusable bags now but I still occasionally pay the 20p for a single use bag if I don't have a resuable one on me. I imagine people will view the single use bottle and cans the same way, i.e. use the deposit return where practicable or just go "fuck it, it's only 20p" and take the hit when it isn't.

43 minutes ago, aaid said:

You seriously think half the SNP membership or even support are against Sturgeon?

I might have been saying half the SNP hate ALBA .....which i was

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

I’d say that’s an underestimate 

What's your view now ?

Do we force a new FM on an elecorate that hasnt voted for him/her or do we have a Holyrood Election where the SNP run on a No Ifs/No buts Independence Manifesto 

I think the chances of Independence are at a major crossroads - one load leads to deflation after today and support withering away - the other is the invigoration of a plebiscite election

6 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

What's your view now ?

Do we force a new FM on an elecorate that hasnt voted for him/her or do we have a Holyrood Election where the SNP run on a No Ifs/No buts Independence Manifesto 

I think the chances of Independence are at a major crossroads - one load leads to deflation after today and support withering away - the other is the invigoration of a plebiscite election

I think the whole plebiscite referendum becomes intertwined with the leadership election.   The special conference is in four weeks time, no dates on the timing of the leadership election yet but it would be hard to see it being anything other that after that event.

It could be that whichever candidate makes a strong case for whichever option comes out of the conference goes on to win the leadership election or alternately, a preferred candidate could impact the decision at conference.

It would be an odd situation, although not impossible, if you ended up with a situation where the new leader did not support a decision made at conference. 

Personally, I think there’s now an opportunity to kick the can down the road a bit and I think that will be what will happen.

Anyone who thinks there will be a Holyrood election any time soon does not live in the real world.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Spot on. I welcome anything that makes the place a bit less clatty.

I think the charge is going to be 20p, which is the same as it costs for a carrier bag. Most people use reusable bags now but I still occasionally pay the 20p for a single use bag if I don't have a resuable one on me. I imagine people will view the single use bottle and cans the same way, i.e. use the deposit return where practicable or just go "fuck it, it's only 20p" and take the hit when it isn't.

Yeah that's exactly it, people will moan at first but get used to it. When I first went to canada it took me a while to get used to it and defos moaned too. But Eventually you get on with it. You will also notice junkies etc cleaning the streets as they will get money for the cans etc they pick up.

Dougie Donnelly outed himself by retweeting notorious Unionist Facunda Sivola

Tweeted that he was a Quisling and have been blocked

Life complete - always hated the cunt

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Dougie Donnelly outed himself by retweeting notorious Unionist Facunda Sivola

Tweeted that he was a Quisling and have been blocked

Life complete - always hated the cunt

Not the least bit surprised , he has ‘British Establishment ‘ tattooed on his forehead. 

Edited by TDYER63

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Yeah that's exactly it, people will moan at first but get used to it. When I first went to canada it took me a while to get used to it and defos moaned too. But Eventually you get on with it. You will also notice junkies etc cleaning the streets as they will get money for the cans etc they pick up.

They will have to out run my husband as this is going to supplement his pension. 

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

What's your view now ?

It has made me even more determined for independence. These bastards will stop at nothing till they turn our Parliament into a tourist attraction and  suck us dry , I for one will not give in. 

13 minutes ago, aaid said:

State of this.   

The only people I've personally heard gloating today were 3 men, all over the age of 70. If anybody really thinks Scotland would have been better served with Sarwar, Ross, Harvey or Cole-Hamilton then they're really living in cloud cuckoo land. If anybody thinks Scotland is better served under Sunak or Starmer or whatever non-entity is currently Lib Dem leader then they're also living in cloud cuckoo land!