Indyref 2 (2) - Page 201 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

This Grangemouth thing looks to me like a deliberate plot to harm Scotland's ability to thrive.  £80 million to upgrade it is peanuts compared to, for example, the sums they are happy to waste bombing people.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of difficult questions posed to Lawyer Eva Comrie by John

This is what the SNP should be doing more of mainstream

13 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Humza on this morning saying it concerns him we have “national” in our party name 🙈

Even Alex Salmond thought it was a poor choice of name.

One possible alternative was "Party for an Independent Scotland" but he thought folk might take the piss.

23 hours ago, Orraloon said:

One possible alternative was "Party for an Independent Scotland" but he thought folk might take the piss.

Scottish Independence Party, or perhaps a left field idea, the Scottish International Party.  Having the word "national" in the name just allows yoons to make lazy and inaccurate comparisons to 1930s Germany, and the gullible or hard of thinking swallow it.

3 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Scottish Independence Party, or perhaps a left field idea, the Scottish International Party.  Having the word "national" in the name just allows yoons to make lazy and inaccurate comparisons to 1930s Germany, and the gullible or hard of thinking swallow it.

And, it allows them to "mis-say" it as the "Scottish Nationalist Party". In his younger days, Alex Salmond was constantly reminding folk what the real name of the party was. 

On 1/18/2024 at 11:12 AM, Orraloon said:

Did he? I can remember Nicola Sturgeon saying something to that effect (surprise surprise!)

I don't see what the issue is, personally. People in Norther Ireland who support unification (or is it re-unification?) are referred to as "nationalists", without any negative connotations. And in Jamaica, the National Party are left-wing, whereas the Jamaica Labour Party are centre-right.  🙃

12 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Did he? I can remember Nicola Sturgeon saying something to that effect (surprise surprise!)

I don't see what the issue is, personally. People in Norther Ireland who support unification (or is it re-unification?) are referred to as "nationalists", without any negative connotations. And in Jamaica, the National Party are left-wing, whereas the Jamaica Labour Party are centre-right.  🙃

I don’t ever recall salmond saying, I definitely remember sturgo saying it.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

How dodgy and unprofessional is sturgeon now starting to come across? Deleting the covid watts apps, just something not right at all with her, 

It's quisling straw clutching and deflection

GEOQWBmWkAAM9qK.jpg.a809db51b9db6d27e05e74b8ff41da06.jpg

Watching from afar (I left Scotland 11 years ago) it depresses me that we're nowhere closer to independence than when I left..well..compared to 2013 when we had a referendum lined up we're actually further back.

My main fear looks to have become a reality, we've become the careerist's party of choice. What's the pay at Westminster? 85k plus benefits? Pretty cushy especially when the only thing you feel you need to do is repeat the same drivel day in day out... 

"Let's make the case on the doorstep"...."let's have that discussion"..."let's put forward that positive case for independence..."

Having a scroll through Twitter it appears that  rather than being made up of young "edgy" radicals the SNP is now populated with wee suited up nyaffs eyeing up the next council elections repeating the "it's not the priority on the doorstep" lines to avoid actually doing anything to get independence.

Why the SNP MPs keep playing the "good wee parliamentarians" role when they refuse to grant a referendum is beyond me.  I'd have each SNP MP turn up with a vuvuzela, set of bagpipes, or an accordion to make parliamentary business impossible.

It's all gone too New Labour for me.

20 minutes ago, RanelaghScot said:

Watching from afar (I left Scotland 11 years ago) it depresses me that we're nowhere closer to independence than when I left..well..compared to 2013 when we had a referendum lined up we're actually further back.

My main fear looks to have become a reality, we've become the careerist's party of choice. What's the pay at Westminster? 85k plus benefits? Pretty cushy especially when the only thing you feel you need to do is repeat the same drivel day in day out... 

"Let's make the case on the doorstep"...."let's have that discussion"..."let's put forward that positive case for independence..."

Having a scroll through Twitter it appears that  rather than being made up of young "edgy" radicals the SNP is now populated with wee suited up nyaffs eyeing up the next council elections repeating the "it's not the priority on the doorstep" lines to avoid actually doing anything to get independence.

Why the SNP MPs keep playing the "good wee parliamentarians" role when they refuse to grant a referendum is beyond me.  I'd have each SNP MP turn up with a vuvuzela, set of bagpipes, or an accordion to make parliamentary business impossible.

It's all gone too New Labour for me.

Yes and sturgeon has “blairited” the party that will really struggle recover. She has absolutely destroyed the case for independence and once all come out in the wash, she will have put devolution at risk, mark my words

17 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

This,☝️ the gullible don't want to know that.

However it is hard to disprove.

On 1/19/2024 at 5:45 PM, Ally Bongo said:

Correct. The UK government should never have been conducting their business on WhatsApp. Civil servants - those at a low level anyway - have it drummed into them that you don't conduct business or share sensitive information over messaging platforms.

If we take the SG at their word - that there is nothing relevant to see in their WhatsApp messages because everything went through confidential email - then they were doing things properly. The trouble is, the public have grown used to hearing about ministers in the UKG using WhatsApp to conduct their business and probably think it's standard procedure, so when they hear about Sturgeon et al deleting messages it makes them look like they're hiding something.

On 1/19/2024 at 4:28 PM, hampden_loon2878 said:

How dodgy and unprofessional is sturgeon now starting to come across? Deleting the covid watts apps, just something not right at all with her, 

The former first minister of Scotland has said the UK Covid Inquiry “does have messages” between her and those she communicated with during the pandemic.

Nicola Sturgeon says she will “answer questions directly and openly” when she gives evidence to the inquiry at the end of January.

It comes after the UK Covid Inquiry heard on Friday that all WhatsApp messages sent and received by Ms Sturgeon during the pandemic were erased.

She previously said she never used informal messages to make decisions throughout the pandemic, but was criticised by a number of political opponents who say she is attempting to hide exchanges with key ministers and advisers.

During the pandemic, it had been widely reported in the media that the messages were deleted.

READ MORE

Scottish train services to finish early on Sunday due to Storm Isha

Shrinking size of UK armed forces raises fears over ability to fight

Police force refers itself to watchdog over 999 call before Norfolk deaths

Jamie Dawson KC, counsel to the inquiry, said on Friday that a table submitted by the Scottish Government confirmed that was the case.

On X, formerly known as Twitter, the former first minister wrote on Saturday: “I do not intend to give a running commentary on the ongoing Inquiry.

“Instead, out of respect to all those impacted by the pandemic, I will answer questions directly and openly when I give evidence at the end of this month.

“However, in light of recent coverage, there are certain points I feel it important to make clear.

“Contrary to the impression given in some coverage, the Inquiry does have messages between me and those I most regularly communicated with through informal means.”

She added: “Although these had not been retained on my own device, I was able to obtain copies which I submitted to the Inquiry last year.

“To be clear, I conducted the Covid response through formal processes from my office in St Andrews House, not through WhatsApp or any other informal messaging platform. I was not a member of any WhatsApp groups.

“The number of people I communicated with through informal messaging at all was limited.

“Also, any handwritten notes made by me were passed to my private office to be dealt with and recorded as appropriate. Throughout the entire process, I acted in line with Scottish Government policy.”

READ MORE

Investigation under way after two Navy warships collide in Middle East port

Rejoining EU customs union should be on the table, Sadiq Khan says

Charity founder Camila Batmanghelidjh hailed as a ‘brilliant woman’ at funeral

Ms Sturgeon went on to say that while she did her best to lead Scotland through the pandemic, she admitted she “did not get every decision right – far from it”, but said she was “motivated only, and at all times, by the determination to keep people as safe as possible”.

The Scottish Government was contacted for comment.

INDEPENDENT PODCASTS

11 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

The former first minister of Scotland has said the UK Covid Inquiry “does have messages” between her and those she communicated with during the pandemic.

Nicola Sturgeon says she will “answer questions directly and openly” when she gives evidence to the inquiry at the end of January.

It comes after the UK Covid Inquiry heard on Friday that all WhatsApp messages sent and received by Ms Sturgeon during the pandemic were erased.

She previously said she never used informal messages to make decisions throughout the pandemic, but was criticised by a number of political opponents who say she is attempting to hide exchanges with key ministers and advisers.

During the pandemic, it had been widely reported in the media that the messages were deleted.

READ MORE

Scottish train services to finish early on Sunday due to Storm Isha

Shrinking size of UK armed forces raises fears over ability to fight

Police force refers itself to watchdog over 999 call before Norfolk deaths

Jamie Dawson KC, counsel to the inquiry, said on Friday that a table submitted by the Scottish Government confirmed that was the case.

On X, formerly known as Twitter, the former first minister wrote on Saturday: “I do not intend to give a running commentary on the ongoing Inquiry.

“Instead, out of respect to all those impacted by the pandemic, I will answer questions directly and openly when I give evidence at the end of this month.

“However, in light of recent coverage, there are certain points I feel it important to make clear.

“Contrary to the impression given in some coverage, the Inquiry does have messages between me and those I most regularly communicated with through informal means.”

She added: “Although these had not been retained on my own device, I was able to obtain copies which I submitted to the Inquiry last year.

“To be clear, I conducted the Covid response through formal processes from my office in St Andrews House, not through WhatsApp or any other informal messaging platform. I was not a member of any WhatsApp groups.

“The number of people I communicated with through informal messaging at all was limited.

“Also, any handwritten notes made by me were passed to my private office to be dealt with and recorded as appropriate. Throughout the entire process, I acted in line with Scottish Government policy.”

READ MORE

Investigation under way after two Navy warships collide in Middle East port

Rejoining EU customs union should be on the table, Sadiq Khan says

Charity founder Camila Batmanghelidjh hailed as a ‘brilliant woman’ at funeral

Ms Sturgeon went on to say that while she did her best to lead Scotland through the pandemic, she admitted she “did not get every decision right – far from it”, but said she was “motivated only, and at all times, by the determination to keep people as safe as possible”.

The Scottish Government was contacted for comment.

INDEPENDENT PODCASTS

Just not buying it, something real shady with her. So unprofessional and untrustworthy 

5 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Just not buying it, something real shady with her. So unprofessional and untrustworthy 

In what ‘professional’ capacity would whatsapp messages ever be deemed a safe way of communicating ? In my job I need to email anything with sensitive information securely and in line with company policy which absolutely does not allow WhatsApp messages ,  and I am a lowly banker. I would lose my job if I breached policy. 
It beggars belief the UKG laid themselves open to communicating this way in a pandemic . 

6 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Would also like to add , we all agree that the SG needs to be squeaky clean at all times as unionists will try to beat us with a stick at every opportunity. In this respect, the SG do the right thing in keeping confidential conversations confidential and not giving the opposition ammunition.
Then you and others jump on the unionist bandwagon pointing fingers that something dodgy is going on. You cannot have it both ways . Can you not just accept that perhaps it was an actual good move. NS is a bloody lawyer. She will know the consequences of information getting out.

The media are only making an issue of SG WhatsApp's messages as they cannot possibly let it be seen that only the UKG had no idea what to do and with a bumbling fool at the helm. 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Can't see HL ever doing a volte face on anything to with wee Nicola.

You never know, he might have a lightbulb moment that electrifies the party's election campaign.