Indyref 2 (2) - Page 141 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Indyref 2 (2)

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Don't think the shareholders would be for that

5 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Don't think the shareholders would be for that

if you a low wholesale cost (by generating with lots of nuclear power) and have enough market competition at the supply/retail side you will drive cost to the consumer down.

that said, I would be happy to nationalise energy, if it could be run efficiently, and by that I mean not like other public sector organisations where you can’t make folk redundant etc.

3 hours ago, Freeedom said:

How anyone can look at the already devastating consequences of climate change and think that opening up the North sea for further extraction is a good idea is fucking bonkers to me. 

We are in March 2020 of climate change, bodies are starting to pile up and these fuckers are doing the equivalent of going into hospitals and shaking sick people's hands. 

Humanity is fucked

Carbon capture is one peace of the puzzle, Scotland oil is tiny in comparison an whether we ship oil from the other side of the world or produce it very efficiently domestically, we need it unless you want pensioners freezing in their homes???

IMG_3460.jpeg

3 hours ago, Freeedom said:

How anyone can look at the already devastating consequences of climate change and think that opening up the North sea for further extraction is a good idea is fucking bonkers to me. 

We are in March 2020 of climate change, bodies are starting to pile up and these fuckers are doing the equivalent of going into hospitals and shaking sick people's hands. 

Humanity is fucked

Short term profits as always.

Folk seem to forget what lattitude we are at and what drives our warmer climate is being affected as well.

There's all sots of scenarios in play in the next 20 years as well. Eco "terrorism" , 1 billion people mass migrating.

Myself and Hampden have been going back and forth on "Carbon Capture" and 3 years later there is stil no viable at scale mechanism to do this, most small scale is at source of power stations and no effective atmosphere scrubs.

Folk point to China but they're using fossil fuels to completely transfer, huge investments in green technology. Solar farms, huge power storage facilities with the ability to transmit across country. 

We're not even going to get lower costs, our companies are recording huge profits and we're getting fleeced.

38 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Carbon capture is one peace of the puzzle, Scotland oil is tiny in comparison an whether we ship oil from the other side of the world or produce it very efficiently domestically, we need it unless you want pensioners freezing in their homes???

IMG_3460.jpeg

Carbon capture is a technology that is in its early development and it will NOT offset the carbon emissions from extracting further resource in the North sea despite what Alex Salmond says. I support any technology that is going to lower our emissions but the fossil fuel industry and Alba are using it as a greenwashing mechanism to justify their vested interests.

Pensioners are not going to die as a consequence of not giving out more drilling licenses to the oil giants. Pensioners are freezing to death already because these greedy bastards are profiteering and making the resource unaffordable, people are turning the heating off because they cant afford to have it on. The oil giants are responsible for their deaths, they are not the saviours of anyone and if we let them continue to drill they will be the end of all of us.

Do you have any real understanding of the devastating consequences of climate change if we continue to burn fossil fuels at the rate we currently are? The migration crisis that we are currently dealing with is the tip of the iceberg, this is not a problem that is going to be fixed. It's only going to get worse as people migrate in their MILLIONS from countries in North Africa and the middle east that have become completely inhospitable to human life. Wars will be fought over diminishing natural resource, we will have mass famine, disease and the complete collapse of our ecosystem which is already well under way.

Scotland has about 60 years of accumulated emissions that have contributed significantly to our current crisis, further expanding fossil fuel exploitation when we should be putting all of our resource into the investment of our vast renewable potential makes no sense.

This is all about short term profits like Phart says and nothing else.

16 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

Carbon capture is a technology that is in its early development and it will NOT offset the carbon emissions from extracting further resource in the North sea despite what Alex Salmond says. I support any technology that is going to lower our emissions but the fossil fuel industry and Alba are using it as a greenwashing mechanism to justify their vested interests.

Pensioners are not going to die as a consequence of not giving out more drilling licenses to the oil giants. Pensioners are freezing to death already because these greedy bastards are profiteering and making the resource unaffordable, people are turning the heating off because they cant afford to have it on. The oil giants are responsible for their deaths, they are not the saviours of anyone and if we let them continue to drill they will be the end of all of us.

Do you have any real understanding of the devastating consequences of climate change if we continue to burn fossil fuels at the rate we currently are? The migration crisis that we are currently dealing with is the tip of the iceberg, this is not a problem that is going to be fixed. It's only going to get worse as people migrate in their MILLIONS from countries in North Africa and the middle east that have become completely inhospitable to human life. Wars will be fought over diminishing natural resource, we will have mass famine, disease and the complete collapse of our ecosystem which is already well under way.

Scotland has about 60 years of accumulated emissions that have contributed significantly to our current crisis, further expanding fossil fuel exploitation when we should be putting all of our resource into the investment of our vast renewable potential makes no sense.

This is all about short term profits like Phart says and nothing else.

No the technology is there for the carbon capture that acorn will provide as in using omissions and pumping it back into the depleted golden aye gas reserves, the carbon capture you talk about is sucking it from the air and storing it there after. 

you think scotland stopping producing oil and gas will change the climate,, come awa

2 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

No the technology is there for the carbon capture that acorn will provide as in using omissions and pumping it back into the depleted golden aye gas reserves, the carbon capture you talk about is sucking it from the air and storing it there after. 

you think scotland stopping producing oil and gas will change the climate,, come awa

This is a really lazy response so I'll give you the same in return. 

The bottom line for you is your salary and that's about it, not much else to add.

The technology also isn't there at scale.

I already ran through the calculations on here years ago and nothing has changed. Just saying it exists doesn't make it so.

It's obfuscation by oil and gas while they try and squeeze out the last drops of profit before things get really noticeable and the game is up for them.

We'll still need oil though, I think it was orraloon who said his chemistry teacher said that oil is too scarce a resource to actually set it on fire.

55 minutes ago, Freeedom said:

This is a really lazy response so I'll give you the same in return. 

The bottom line for you is your salary and that's about it, not much else to add.

Sorry I have visitors in. Can’t be rude with my head in my phone however my response is more than adequate 

42 minutes ago, phart said:

The technology also isn't there at scale.

I already ran through the calculations on here years ago and nothing has changed. Just saying it exists doesn't make it so.

It's obfuscation by oil and gas while they try and squeeze out the last drops of profit before things get really noticeable and the game is up for them.

We'll still need oil though, I think it was orraloon who said his chemistry teacher said that oil is too scarce a resource to actually set it on fire.

It was a wise man called Professor Tedder. At one time he probably new more about the chemistry of oil than any other person on the planet. He was one of the few folk that I have met in my life, that I would describe as a true genius. 

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Going by the example of Hinkley Point, you're talking over £30bn and a 20 year lead time for just one nuclear station.

correct.  Going to cost lots of tax dollars and better get moving now.  Any way you look at this problem it’s going to cost allot of money.  People will need to be happy with less.  Difficult sell that for a politician.

12 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Sunak pushing for North Sea oil and gas extraction,this will more than likely win the tories the northeast.  While the snp go on self destruct, turning the west coast against them (HMPA’s) turning the northeast against them (HMPA’s) and oil and gas stance, and losing public confidence left right and centre over the GRA madness, juryless trials ect,, it’s so obvious what’s going on 

Yep; traps so huge and obvious that even Wile E. Coyote would immediately flick past them in the ACME catalogue.

Our oil and gas reserves are a drop in the ocean compared to those held by the US, Russia, Saudi and China. Unless everyone buys into it we're wasting our time (and can anyone really see Saudi Arabia winding down its oil industry, considering that's basically what made the place?).

11 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

The Tories have certainly got great strategists, they've weaponised environmental issues. It was only two years ago they hosted COP26 proclaiming themselves as world leaders in tackling climate change. That was a lie then and every policy since has been regressive. Hey, forget the planet, so long as we can keep in power.

They'd usually run on the economy but it's so obvious they've made a pig's ear of that they've had to find alternative battlegrounds. 

The other battleground, naturally, is the "culture wars", although I see Labour have, possibly sensibly, done a reverse ferret on gender self-ID, leaving the North British branch office looking even more glaikit that usual in the process.

Why aren't scottish politicians challenging the tories decision to grant these licenses. I though us dumb jocks were told the oil would be gone by 2019? All of sudden the tories want to drill for more. 

9 hours ago, Malcolm said:

correct.  Going to cost lots of tax dollars and better get moving now.  Any way you look at this problem it’s going to cost allot of money.  People will need to be happy with less.  Difficult sell that for a politician.

Offshore wind would generate the same for around half the cost, and be a lot safer for the environment...

https://renews.biz/61228/uk-offshore-wind-cheaper-than-new-nuclear/#:~:text=Though the £60%2FMWh,costs such as reactor design

35 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The tories have offered north east oil workers security - The SNP did not. They've been played like a fiddle

Anyone who believes the Tories are the ones being played like a fiddle.