England at Hampden Sept 2023 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England at Hampden Sept 2023

Fairbairn

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

If those championships were ever reintroduced I can't see them being taken seriously by clubs or fans. The game has changed too much, players wouldn't want to risk injury and they'd want their time off.

Home internationals were fun when all the involved players played in the top flight in Scotland or England. Total waste of time now.

Can't see how anyone would be against a friendly between the two countries who started the whole thing a 150 years ago in what is a date we are probably obliged to have a friendly anyway.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ghorne67 said:

Can't believe folk are whinging that we're getting a home friendly against England for £25 a ticket. Would much rather that than some meaningless p!sh like Turkey away a few miles from the Syrian border. 

100% correct.This Turkey game has been a f..king joke from start to finish.Starting with not telling us where it was going to be played until about 3 weeks before it and now holding up the ticket sales because they can't commit to a price for them.Going that distance to play such a pointless match is just ridiculous.Truly mind boggling decision.It's not as if anything that happens in this game will have any relevance to our our real games in March.Five months down the line is a long time in football(form,injuries) wise.

I feel a bit underwhelmed to have a friendly against England, although I understand the context behind the decision. The fact it's part of the same break as an important qualifier in Cyprus takes the edge of it, imo, similar to the game at Parkhead a few years back coming after the important win over Ireland - the Ireland game was the important one of the two to win.

15 hours ago, Malcolm said:

not at all….  Competing to be champions of Britain.  And there would still be the same number of qualifying spots without the nations league.

There could be an argument to say the Home Internationals stunted our development as a footballing nation, due to the importance placed on getting good results against England (especially) when qualification for major tournaments depended on good results against teams with different styles of play and different relative abilities compared to us.

If we'd been playing against teams like Denmark, Sweden, Portugal, Yugoslavia, Belgium, Greece, Austria, Switzerland, etc. on a more regular basis rather than England, Wales and Northern Ireland each year we may have seen more success in the World Cup and Euros that we actually had during that period.

I think it's great! get them up here and give them a doin. The perfect way to celebrate us giving international fitba it's birth (albeit almost a full year AFTER the first game), remind them where the home of fitba is. 

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

I think it's great! get them up here and give them a doin. The perfect way to celebrate us giving international fitba it's birth (albeit almost a full year AFTER the first game), remind them where the home of fitba is. 

You'll be singing "It's coming home " next. 😉 😂

On 11/4/2022 at 1:36 PM, Bzzzz said:

What was the first game?

39 minutes ago, exile said:

What was the first game?

150 years ago, this st Andrews day 

The anniversary match should have been this year, and if we had qualified it would have been the same weekend as would have played them.

However we are having the anniversary match a year late.

9 hours ago, stocky said:

150 years ago, this st Andrews day 

The anniversary match should have been this year, and if we had qualified it would have been the same weekend as would have played them.

However we are having the anniversary match a year late.

So it was that first match between Scotland and England. So that was more than a match but helped define Scotland as a footballing nation. 

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Can see a lot of these tickets bought by English fans, anyone know their allocation? 

No reason to think that. They will get about 5000 i would think. The last time we played them at Hampden they got that and i don't remember many others around the stadium and that was a world cup qualifier on a Saturday if i remember right.