England at Hampden Sept 2023 - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England at Hampden Sept 2023

Fairbairn

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Do you want to do the same to commemorate Wales and the six counties first matches against Scotland ?

Guarantee you the world media won't care about this match against England at all.

No. Only one can be the FIRST one. The concept is pretty simple. If the world media don't care about this commemoration of the first ever International match i think that says more about their lack of interest in the history of the game than anything else. I'm proud of the crucial part we played in football history. 

42 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Bet they have Mr Windsor on the pitch shaking the players hands and the crowd being encouraged to join together to sing GSTK 🙄

It's being played one month before we are supposed to be having our second independence referendum.

So that would be interesting...

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Bet they have Mr Windsor on the pitch shaking the players hands and the crowd being encouraged to join together to sing GSTK 🙄

😀 Pfft. You are the billybrit wanker whose nose gets out of joint anytime I say anything bad about Winnie Churchill. “Oooh have you been reading David Irvine books”. 

Not enormously interested in one off Scotland v England games, although I will likely go.  Would  prefer we had the British International championship back on a four year rotation.  I used to love that week at the end of May where it was Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday, playing England at the end.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Not enormously interested in one off Scotland v England games, although I will likely go.  Would  prefer we had the British International championship back on a four year rotation.  I used to love that week at the end of May where it was Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday, playing England at the end.

If those championships were ever reintroduced I can't see them being taken seriously by clubs or fans. The game has changed too much, players wouldn't want to risk injury and they'd want their time off.

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If those championships were ever reintroduced I can't see them being taken seriously by clubs or fans. The game has changed too much, players wouldn't want to risk injury and they'd want their time off.

quite probably.  I think the national team plays too much football as it is. Just talking my preference, I would prefer no nations leaguebut home internationals every four years but that’s just me.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

quite probably.  I think the national team plays too much football as it is. Just talking my preference, I would prefer no nations leaguebut home internationals every four years but that’s just me.

You'd prefer home internationals which essentially mean fuck all now instead of a tournament which cam give countries like scotland a better chance to qualify for the Euros. Yup, you're definitely at it again

22 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You'd prefer home internationals which essentially mean fuck all now instead of a tournament which cam give countries like scotland a better chance to qualify for the Euros. Yup, you're definitely at it again

not at all….  Competing to be champions of Britain.  And there would still be the same number of qualifying spots without the nations league.

45 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Funny you should say that because I was going to say the complete opposite on another thread. A few  have been suggesting we give a lot of our first-teamers a break for the Turkey game, but when you only get around 10 games a year, it doesn't make sense to disrupt the group. It's worth having everyone together in training for further camraderie at the very least. 

No one is telling John McGinn to skip out on another cap. He would refuse.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Funny you should say that because I was going to say the complete opposite on another thread. A few  have been suggesting we give a lot of our first-teamers a break for the Turkey game, but when you only get around 10 games a year, it doesn't make sense to disrupt the group. It's worth having everyone together in training for further camraderie at the very least. 

No one is telling John McGinn to skip out on another cap. He would refuse.

if you look at the olden days of yore… back in our hey day of 70s, national team played far less.  Games felt a bit more special then. Only three teams in our qualifying section