Turkey (Turkiye?) squad - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Turkey (Turkiye?) squad

N4Footsoldier

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on.

I am all for trying out new players to see if they offer an upgrade on what we have but everyone knows Kelly and McCrorie are not in the same league as Gordon.

They're not, that's very true, but we need to face facts, Gordon is nearly 40 and can't go on forever. 

All it takes is an injury or a suspension and we'll need someone to step in; and what's worse: a lesser goalie with some international experience or a lesser goalie with none?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, scotlad said:

They're not, that's very true, but we need to face facts, Gordon is nearly 40 and can't go on forever. 

All it takes is an injury or a suspension and we'll need someone to step in; and what's worse: a lesser goalie with some international experience or a lesser goalie with none?

^^^ this. No brainer in a friendly.

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm dreading it. I remember feeling the same dread when Kenny Miller and Scott Brown were getting close to retiring. And I was right, because we haven't really replaced either effectively. However, the team has evolved significantly where we don't necessarily need players of the same style as those 2.

Goalkeepers are a bit more straightforward. The guy that is best at keeping the ball out of the goal is in. Gordon is one of our greatest ever goalkeepers. There is no replacing him.

Kenny Miller was fucking dung man, yes he played a pretty thankless role in some terrible teams but he missed some huge sitters too. He was lucky to get so many caps as our forward options were so bad. Although Boyd and Rhodes should have got more games and big Iwelumo too.

1 hour ago, scotlad said:

Exactly give the 2 other guys a half each, we know what Gordon can do

5 minutes ago, Johnnyshaker said:

I really don't see what we learn from that starting line up at all.

We don't learn much, but it is another opportunity to have our core squad members to gel on the pitch. 7 or 8 of them are in most people's first 11. It'll stand us in good stead for the qualifiers in March.

I definitely would have started Ramsay though.

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am guessing its a 352 with tierney as a centre back and fraser as a rwb.

FB_IMG_1668615086695.jpg

Disappointing line up, especially with what appears to be a return to the 5-2-2-1 (unless there’s a surprise in store once the game kicks off). I was hoping the performances in our final Nations League games would mean we’d stick with the 4-2-3-1. I guess it could still be that if Tierney plays right back…

I’m surprised to see Gordon start, as we need to bed in a new goalkeeper. Perhaps Kelly will come off the bench at some point tonight.

Hopefully it stands us in good stead. I get the continuity aspect but I always think you should take the opportunity of a friendly to learn something and so far it looks like a missed opportunity.

It would have been good to get a better look at Ferguson and Porteous deserved another start as well.

Also, if you aren't going to use a friendly to get a full look at Jacob Brown and another keeper then when is the opportunity going to arise.

Edited by Johnnyshaker

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Regarding the panic that 3-5-2 is returning permanently, I doubt it is. He has probably gone back to it for this one match because he's been deprived of three right backs/wing backs - Hickey, Patterson and Ralston.

I would liked to have seen what tierney can do at left wing as we will need use him there or its a case of drop robertson. Or go back to 352 with tierney at centre back.

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Regarding the panic that 3-5-2 is returning permanently, I doubt it is. He has probably gone back to it for this one match because he's been deprived of three right backs/wing backs - Hickey, Patterson and Ralston.

Surely playing Ramsey as a right back is preferable to playing Fraser as a wing back.

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

how do you watch this on social media?

No idea. This game has been subject of very little publicity from the SFA and the media.

The BBC aren't even bothering to do live text updates. Only 1700 people are listening to the radio feed.