Turkey (Turkiye?) squad - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Turkey (Turkiye?) squad

N4Footsoldier

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Taylor has been celtics player of the year by all qccounts. 

He possibly is but he's third choice left-back as far as the national team is concerned.

11 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I know folk who know/knew mcgeady and that's not the perception they gave but one was related to him!  Whether we like it or not, both those players had more links to Ireland than some of our squad have to Scotland.  They wanted to play for Ireland, that's their preoperative. 

Doubt there's many England fans losing sleep over Anderson. If he chooses yto commit to us then all the better but fuck calling up players in order to convince them to commit. They shouldn't need convincing. If they are holding off in hope for England then leave them to it.

Did they? I thought they both qualified to play for Ireland through a grandparent - that's more tenuous than a lot of our team, e.g. Dykes and McTominay who qualify through parentage.

On Anderson, I don't think there's any harm in trying to make him feel wanted; Wales did that with a few of their players who were eligible for other countries and it appears to have worked out well for them.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Not happy with that at all. The SFA should have stood their ground, the rules were in their favour.

Now that we are minus a few players, if I were Clarke, I'd tell Gemmill that Anderson, Conway, Doig and Ramsay are going with the senior squad to play Turkey. He won't do that of course but I'd love it if he did.

They should have stood their ground, you're right, but come on, this is the same organisation who once allowed a league fixture to be rearranged because Celtic had agreed to play a friendly in Asia! 😂 Nae chance of them putting their foot down over an international friendly.

To be honest I'd rather see some of those youngsters get minutes against Turkey. Ralston's got a few caps under his belt now, Forrest is past his best and Turnbull is out of form - none are a huge loss to Scotland at this moment in time. Best of luck to them flogging replica shirts to ex-pats.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Postecoglu says no Celtic players will be in the Scotland squad for the turkey match so that rules out Taylor, Ralston & Forrest 

This is the key reason why I'm happy we have the Nations League - clubs cannot decide their players can't play for their country as they're considered competitive games.

Celtic aren't playing any competitive matches and have about a month before their next competitive game following this; they shouldn't be preventing their players from playing international football. The SFA really shouldn't be taking no for an answer.

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Not allowing themselves to be pushed around is definitely not the SFA's strong suit in any regard

Anyway, I'm hardly raging about missing our two 3rd choice full backs and about our 10th choice midfielder

Well Patterson might not be available as he's just getting back to fitness and Hickey is injured. So Ralston may have been our first choice right back for this game.

Not really sure who I'd play at right back if all 3 aren't available. Ramsay is the most obvious choice.

10 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Strange squad. Ramsay is there but why not more youngsters. How is Ryan Jack in there also. 

I thought Jack was supposed to be injured ?

At least Ramsay is there, that is something.

I would rather have had Dominic Hyam in over Grant Hanley and Alan Campbell in over Kenny McLean. Hanley and McLean two players whom I think we should move on from.

Has Liam Cooper retired or is he injured again ?

Expect three or four withdrawals.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

2 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Thats a pretty strong squad considering its a meaningless friendly. Pretty much all our best players are there. 

My team would be 

Gordon  

Patterson  mckenna hendry robbo

mctominay          

Fraser   Armstrong  mcginn  tierney

Adams

Unlikely tierney plays left midfield/wing but i would like to see him tried there as it allows robertson to play as well. Make 5 or 6 subs around the 60min mark. A chance for hendry and mckenna to build on their recent success. Just hope both teams take it seriously as turkey can potentially be a good test for our players and help the players gel.

I'd go with

Gordon (sub for Kelly at H/T)

Ramsay

Hendry

McKenna

Robertson (sub for Tierney at H/T)

Ferguson

McTominay

Armstrong

McGinn

Christie

Adams

I'm concerned about Patterson. Looks like he's been rushed back too soon after injury by an under pressure manager and is not fully fit or playing well.

2 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Cooper has been playing so he should be called up. 

Possibly he has now decided to retire from international football ?

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Why are the Celtic players exempt from this match?

Because the SFA are stupid, weak, cowardly bastards.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Possibly he has now decided to retire from international football ?

Because the SFA are stupid, weak, cowardly bastards.

It's cos it's not an official international window. Sfa can do fuck all about it.

Celtic have refused other players to play for their countries in order to play in the provofest for expats.

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Why are the Celtic players exempt from this match?

No club has to release players for a friendly outside the window. 

Ifs pretty poor from them to be honest but they probably need the money from this friendly in Oz to pay for their court cases 😂

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I thought Jack was supposed to be injured ?

At least Ramsay is there, that is something.

I would rather have had Dominic Hyam in over Grant Hanley and Alan Campbell in over Kenny McLean. Hanley and McLean two players whom I think we should move on from.

Has Liam Cooper retired or is he injured again ?

Expect three or four withdrawals.

Jack is a funny one, considering he's 30 and hasn't played for Rangers for a month.

Liam Cooper I'd have expected to see in the squad too; he played and scored for Leeds at the weekend so either he's injured himself subsequently, has surgery or something scheduled and asked to be left out, or he's chucked international football altogether (or Option D - Leeds are doing a Celtic and prostituting themselves during the international break!)

Edited by scotlad

17 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Pathetic bigots? That's a bit OTT 

Is it? I’ve seen plenty of vile comments online. In here? More veiled comments about needing money for paedo cases, provo fests and McCarthy & McGeady being trawled out again. It’s entirely predictable and pathetic.