Craig Gordon - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bzzzz

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Pity he’s not 25. How long do we realistically think he can go on? 

I asked him a couple of weeks ago what his plans were for when he retires and he said he was not thinking about that and that he has no plans on retiring right now, he's just concentrating on making the best of his career. He also referred to his admiration of GIanluigi Buffon - i believe he's still playing at 44 (albeit at a lower level now)

IMO I think he's got his eyes on caps ;) 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd say a couple of years at least. He looks as agile now as he did when he was in his early 20s. 

Could actually see him get close to 100 caps if he stays fit.

Aye fingers crossed he’ll at least reach 90 caps although I’m not convinced he’ll still be playing for Scotland beyond the next qualifying campaign. 

Hopefully he can stay fit though and prove me wrong but the body starts to go downhill pretty rapidly when you hit 40 as I can sadly attest to. 

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

I asked him a couple of weeks ago what his plans were for when he retires and he said he was not thinking about that and that he has no plans on retiring right now, he's just concentrating on making the best of his career. He also referred to his admiration of GIanluigi Buffon - i believe he's still playing at 44 (albeit at a lower level now)

He certainly loves playing for his country. 

A lot of new fathers would have stayed at home after their partners just gave birth but he was on the plane to Poland with no hesitation. 

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd say a couple of years at least. He looks as agile now as he did when he was in his early 20s. 

Could actually see him get close to 100 caps if he stays fit.

Certainly hope so.

I don’t think he’s ever been a better goalie than he is now.

We do need to give some caps out to someone else in the very rare chances to do so soon so that when Gordon misses a game we don’t have an uncapped gk covering for him. Or he just misses no games which is also fine!

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

Did you meet him by chance, or do you know him? Or were you talking to him in a media capacity?

21 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Did you meet him by chance, or do you know him? Or were you talking to him in a media capacity?

No, don't know him unfortunately, was a shareholder's do at Hearts a couple of weeks back, really decent guy.

Got a wee smile out of him when I told him he was "obviouslythe best keeper Scotland's ever had" ;)  

My favourite Scotland Gk however his ability to kick a football is shocking considering he does it everyday lol

Makes no real difference to me as im not a fan on a Gk being judged on his outfield skills however the number of times he slices the ball straight out the pitch isnt great.

Still the best though.

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye fingers crossed he’ll at least reach 90 caps although I’m not convinced he’ll still be playing for Scotland beyond the next qualifying campaign. 

Hopefully he can stay fit though and prove me wrong but the body starts to go downhill pretty rapidly when you hit 40 as I can sadly attest to. 

Leighton has 91, 

He'll be aiming for that I presume...

20 to go

49 minutes ago, stocky said:

Leighton has 91, 

He'll be aiming for that I presume...

20 to go

But for injuries he should be way out on his own as our most-capped player ever.  McGregor has 42 caps, Marshall has 47 and you have to think at least half of that total would've gone to a fully fit Craig Gordon.

Tuesday night was his 73rd cap and in gaining it passed Tommy Boyd (72) and became the 6th most capped Scotsman in history. Ahead of him:

King Kenny 102

Jim Leighton 91

Darren Fletcher 80

Alex McLeish 77

Paul McStay 76

If he stays fit I fully expect that Euro 2024 will be his swansong. I think he will announce that next season (2023-24) will be his last which means he has 3 more opportunities to win something else with Hearts and he will bow out after Germany, where he will realise a career dream of playing for Scotland at a major Championship. Should that all transpire and he remains fit throughout he could get anywhere from 10-20 more caps depending on the Euro draw, play offs, availability and success!

8/10 (dependent on group size) Euro 2024 qualifiers

2 potential play off games for Euro 2024

1 Friendly in November 2022

2 Friendlies prior to Euro 2024

3 games minimum at Euro 2024

He's a certainty now to pass McLeish and McStay and barring injury Fletcher. Ironically despite the success last night of getting into Nations League A he will likely have to continue to play into the 2024-25 season to ever play a match in it, due to the football calendar. 

You really wonder if not for injury how many caps he would have, certainly already surpassed Dalgleish if it hadn't been for injury. During his 'era' Marshall and McGregor won 89 caps! 

18 minutes ago, stocky said:

But I think macgregor would have got more if he hadn't retired.

Craig was 3rd 🤔choice for a while iirc.

Who knows....

Gordon was only third choice when he was coming back from injury and rebuilding his career. 

Had he not been injured then McGregor wouldn't have anywhere near the caps he has. 

Gordon is a better goalkeeper. 

5 hours ago, Bzzzz said:

No, don't know him unfortunately, was a shareholder's do at Hearts a couple of weeks back, really decent guy.

Got a wee smile out of him when I told him he was "obviouslythe best keeper Scotland's ever had" ;)  

Cheers - and I'm sure plenty would agree with the best keeper Scotland have ever had remark.

9 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

My favourite Scotland Gk however his ability to kick a football is shocking considering he does it everyday lol

Makes no real difference to me as im not a fan on a Gk being judged on his outfield skills

I’m always amazed how many goalkeepers are terrible with their feet (not suggesting Gordon is), obviously keeping the ball out of the net is their main priority and being given a hospital pass etc brings panic into the equation. But bye kicks and when kicking from hand under no pressure they should be able to put the ball pretty much anywhere on the park, not a criticism but Gordon passed straight to a Ukrainian the other night. Anyhoo he’s been immense for hertz and Scotland this season, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s still playing in the premier league in 5 years time

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hes better than Leighton.  Better all.round than.goram for me too.

I’d agree he’s better than Leighton but Goram was better than both. 

Gordon is far more professional than Goram ever was obviously so he makes up a lot of ground on him for that reason alone but in terms of pure goalkeeping talent nobody Scottish touches Goram for me. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Whether he’s better than McGregor is also debatable but Gordon has never let us down and loves playing for Scotland so that edges that one for me. 

He's definitely better than McGregor. Absolutely no doubt about it