EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

EURO 2024 - Discussion Thread

romanticscot

15 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Right I think this is how the seeding pots will look now that the Nations League fixtures are complete:-

POT 1

Croatia

Denmark

Spain

Portugal

Italy

Hungary

Netherlands

Belgium

Switzerland

Poland

POT 2

England

Wales 

France

SCOTLAND

Bosnia H.

Israel

Serbia

Austria

Czech Republic

Finland

POT 3

Iceland

Sweden

Romania

Republic of Ireland

Slovenia

Albania

Montenegro

Armenia

Ukraine

Norway

POT 4

Georgia

Greece

Turkey

Kazhakstan

Luxembourg

Azerbaijan

Kosovo

Bulgaria

Faroe Islands

North Macedonia

POT 5

Slovakia

Northern Ireland

Cyprus

Belarus

Lithuania

Gibraltar

Estonia

Latvia

Moldova

Malta

POT 6

Andorra

San Marino

Liechtenstein

I think I would prefer to avoid Sweden, Norway and Ukraine from Pot 3 and Turkey and Kazakhstan from Pot 4. Apart from that I'm not too fussy.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Euro 2008 qualifiers smashed them first game 6-0, felt like every attack was a goal. Then away game was reasonably comfortable IIRC.

Rather have that than having to trek to Kazakhstan again. Georgia are improving and that is pretty bogey away trip for this nation.

North Macedonia also lurking in pot 4 and qualifying for a euros is very realistic for them these days as they proved last time.

Interesting that you chose to go back 15 years instead of looking at the away game last year where we struggled to a 0-1 win. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Interesting that you chose to go back 15 years instead of looking at the away game last year where we struggled to a 0-1 win. 

Our players looked uncomfortable on that bouncy plastic pitch of theirs.

I think they'd have preferred that old muddy field where we played them in previous games under Brown, Vogts and McLeish.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Our players looked uncomfortable on that bouncy plastic pitch of theirs.

I think they'd have preferred that old muddy field where we played them in previous games under Brown, Vogts and McLeish.

Plastic pitches shouldn’t be allowed in international football. 

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Shouldn't be allowed in club football outside of Iceland.

Top flight clubs aye. I can understand lower league clubs using artificial surfaces.

I don’t even think Icelandic top flight clubs have an excuse as their national stadium has a grass surface. 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We should maybe look to avoid being drawn in Groups A, B, C or D. That will contain the four seeds who are through to the Nations League semi-finals - Italy, Spain, Netherlands and Croatia.

For me, I want a reliable top seed who will thrash everyone else, I think I am more focused on who comes from pot 3. Normally I'd want Belgium but for some reason I think they are on a slide, that might be ignorance of their current squad. 

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

For me, I want a reliable top seed who will thrash everyone else, I think I am more focused on who comes from pot 3. Normally I'd want Belgium but for some reason I think they are on a slide, that might be ignorance of their current squad. 

Yes...point taken. I'd say Belgium are ones who come closest to a team likely to walk away with a group. 

42 minutes ago, supersub said:

Ideally I'd go with Switzerland, Armenia, Faroes, Gibraltar and Andorra

Some dangerous looking sides in pots beneath us who I'd like to avoid i.e Norway, Sweden, Turkey.

Yes but Faroe Islands are no mugs now either. We toiled to win 1-0 against them with a late goal just last year and last week they beat Turkey. From Pot 4 I would much sooner take Azerbaijan, Kosovo or even Luxembourg.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes but Faroe Islands are no mugs now either. We toiled to win 1-0 against them with a late goal just last year and last week they beat Turkey. From Pot 4 I would much sooner take Azerbaijan, Kosovo or even Luxembourg.

Luxembourg and Kosovo have had some decent results recently as well.  Whichever pot 4 team we get won’t be easy. 

I just hope we avoid Slovakia. What a pot 5 team that would be. 

39 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Luxembourg and Kosovo have had some decent results recently as well.  Whichever pot 4 team we get won’t be easy. 

I just hope we avoid Slovakia. What a pot 5 team that would be. 

I haven't seen them, but they must pretty shit at the moment. They lost at home to Azerbaijan and lost home and away to Kazakhstan.  

19 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I haven't seen them, but they must pretty shit at the moment. They lost at home to Azerbaijan and lost home and away to Kazakhstan.  

They obviously can’t be great but they could get their act together in the next 6 months. I’d rather have Gibraltar from pot 5 as we know they’ll definitely be shite next year. 

Remember when we got Wales from pot 6? Or was it 5? Can’t remember but it didn’t work out too well for us  

18 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

They obviously can’t be great but they could get their act together in the next 6 months. I’d rather have Gibraltar from pot 5 as we know they’ll definitely be shite next year. 

Remember when we got Wales from pot 6? Or was it 5? Can’t remember but it didn’t work out too well for us  

I think it was pot 5. We got Macedonia from pot 6 and Belgium from pot 3 in the same group (World Cup 2014 qualifiers). Nae wonder we struggled! 🤣

38 minutes ago, scotlad said:

You might well be right. It was a stinker of a group, that's for sure. Possibly the hardest I've ever known us have!

It wasn't really. We were just shit. Wales were still shit at that time even though they beat us twice. Macedonia weren't really up to much. We beat Croatia home and away but it was too late by then. Belgium were the only really good team in that group and even they weren't at their peak yet.

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Wales were the pot 6 team when they beat us home and away.

4 hours ago, scotlad said:

You might well be right. It was a stinker of a group, that's for sure. Possibly the hardest I've ever known us have!

We had the most Scotland campaign ever, beating the top seeds home and away, yet losing to the bottom seeds twice.

I doubt that feat has ever been matched!

5 hours ago, calum83 said:

seeding doesnt mean that much some teams drop down a pot after a bad campaign then get better again. i want spain and andorra in the group and make it double away header. as for the rest im happy with anyone always a bounce where ever we go

Kind of sums up how we ll happily put up with crap as long as theres a good time on offer