Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals - Page 34 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Qatar 2022 World Cup Finals

Just found out that Croatia have only won one game at this World Cup - against Canada in the group stage

Drew 0-0 with Morocco

Drew 0-0 with Belgium

Drew 1-1 with  Japan (won on penalties)

Drew 1-1 with Brazil (won on penalties)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mcguffin said:

I agree. But it's a deeper problem than just the SFA. Let me repost what I wrote on the Croatia thread:

I get the feeling that even the Welsh and Irish are more actively in sport than we are, thinking about rugby teams as well as football. Ireland I think has a younger population so might be an explanation. Success is also important as it breeds further success.

6 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Oh and were also allowed to train them on headers with 3 a month being acceptable, just wait until a kid breaks their nose as they’ve no fucking idea what they’re doing with a ball in the air. 

Was at a boxing show recently, these guys were knocking lumps out of each others heads. As much as I have sympathy with anyone dealing with this horrible condition I don't get how heading a ball can be linked to memory disease in later life and if there is (I'm no expert) the balls now aren't what they were years ago.

1 hour ago, McTeeko said:

It’s still encouraged at primary school level to give everyone equal game time. Even the ones who have been playing for several years who still toepoke passes and who never look to get involved. Utter nonsense. Then you get the messages and calls from those parents asking why their kids don’t get as much game time as the others 😏

Don't know much about the primary schools.  The secondaries are more competitive and the kids (including girls) now choose if they want to play.  It is still our breeding ground of the future.  A gripe I had/have that some of my friends kids played school football.  Next time I was speaking to them some of their kids had signed for a senior team (mainly Dundee Utd) and the parents were so proud.  I would say 'but he is only 12!!'  I think that is also something that was /is wrong with our game.  Parents and these senior teams signing wee kids when they are never going to make it.  All it does is give their parents something to boast about.  Never worked.  They would be better staying with their local teams with decent coaches imo.

4 minutes ago, SamP said:

Don't know much about the primary schools.  The secondaries are more competitive and the kids (including girls) now choose if they want to play.  It is still our breeding ground of the future.  A gripe I had/have that some of my friends kids played school football.  Next time I was speaking to them some of their kids had signed for a senior team (mainly Dundee Utd) and the parents were so proud.  I would say 'but he is only 12!!'  I think that is also something that was /is wrong with our game.  Parents and these senior teams signing wee kids when they are never going to make it.  All it does is give their parents something to boast about.  Never worked.  They would be better staying with their local teams with decent coaches imo.

My biggest irritation with secondary schools is this bizarre thing with basketball. Basketball courts in every gym hall. Who the feck is interested in this sport in Scotland. 

26 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Yup, that’s still happening with us every week, parents can surely see that the kid is doing nothing and still wonder why they don’t get a game. We’re U-15 now and it’s still encouraged, but we’re playing for points now, I’m having the best team I can in that pitch at any given time. 

Don’t even get me started on roll on/off subs either 😂

Oh and were also allowed to train them on headers with 3 a month being acceptable, just wait until a kid breaks their nose as they’ve no fucking idea what they’re doing with a ball in the air. 

I would give kids who really wanted to come along some bounce games at training.  But Scottish Shield or any other competitive matches it was always the best starting 11.  I didn't care what the parents thought.

2 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

My biggest irritation with secondary schools is this bizarre thing with basketball. Basketball courts in every gym hall. Who the feck is interested in this sport in Scotland. 

Nobody in my experience with schools.  We just played 5's over the top of it.

55 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

It's a bit frustrating. Especially the not looking to get involved thing - literally not running so they don't get there in time to make a tackle 😂 (It's not fair on the majority who work their socks off to hold a shape and make even more tackles). Then grief from parents for pointing it out to them. The transition to 11 a side from 9's happens when they go between Primary and High school age groups. Then the equal game time gets binned and the ones who don't fancy the physical side simply won't play. 

Why are you teaching them how to tackle? You should be teaching them how to fall down. Get with it man. 

29 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I get the feeling that even the Welsh and Irish are more actively in sport than we are, thinking about rugby teams as well as football. Ireland I think has a younger population so might be an explanation. Success is also important as it breeds further success.

good points. Lots of food for thought.

3 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Had to play basketball and indoor hockey for P.E. at our high school. Bore the life out of you.

You canny just get everybody at PE to play football min.  There would be an outcry.  I used to enjoy volleyball and running outside when I was a kid.  Others enjoyed hockey running and the long jump.  It is good to let kids make their own mind up as long as they like sports.  But it's not for everyone as football isn't either.  Used to enjoy tennis as well.  All sports have their value imo.  But football especially !!

33 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Just found out that Croatia have only won one game at this World Cup - against Canada in the group stage

Drew 0-0 with Morocco

Drew 0-0 with Belgium

Drew 1-1 with  Japan (won on penalties)

Drew 1-1 with Brazil (won on penalties)

That's kinda how we qualified for EURO 2020. We only beat Israel (once) and Albania (twice). As Harry Kane now knows you need to be good at penalties in the modern game. 

22 minutes ago, SamP said:

Nobody in my experience with schools.  We just played 5's over the top of it.

I agree. I hated basketball at school. However, this would be an interesting thought experiment. Take Scotland's football squad, and say Croatia (or Serbia's) national squad and ask them to play games against each other in a tournament of the following sports: Basketball, handball, water-polo, volleyball, futsal. Who do you think would win? And why?

Then at the end of all that play a game of 11-a-side football. And ask the same question?
https://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/258263/inter-milan-winger-ivan-perisic-makes-professional-beach-volleyball-debut-photos-video.html

Edited by mcguffin

I genuinely think the quality this time around is pretty pish to be honest.  Neither Frane or Croatia are as good as 2018 and Belgium were quality last time but absolutely honking this.

As good as Morocco have been as a team they're in the semis really because there is a real dearth of quality elsewhere. Loads of the teams seem on a decline.

Modric and Messi, who spends most of the game walking, are on for player of the tournament. Giroud is probably the best number 9 and a championship centre half has a chance of making team of the tournament.

I think we're entering our most promising period in decades and could with a bit of luck have a real shot of qualifying for the next one.

1 minute ago, SamP said:

You canny just get everybody at PE to play football min.  There would be an outcry.  I used to enjoy volleyball and running outside when I was a kid.  Others enjoyed hockey running and the long jump.  It is good to let kids make their own mind up as long as they like sports.  But it's not for everyone as football isn't either.  Used to enjoy tennis as well.  All sports have their value imo.  But football especially !!

That was kind of my point. Most kids know what they're into by high school. Most lads were football obsessed. It was awful for the few lads who weren't. There should  have been an alternative sport for them to choose. We should be pushing youngsters in their sporting ambitions more. (I'm aware there would have been financial/staff/ restraints)  Not feckin hockey tho! Giving kids large sticks for sport at our school was never going to end well.

I think England have done not too bad for a team that got relegated just a couple of months ago. I've always said they are a QF team. I always wait until after the QFs until I say that though. 😂

If they get further than that they have over performed. Last time round they only managed it because they got such an easy draw. If they get papped out before the QFs then they have under performed. This time again, they got an easy draw all the way to the QF then got papped out by the first half decent team they had to play.  

Pretty standard stuff for them. It's just a pity Scotland can't be as average as them.

23 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think England have done not too bad for a team that got relegated just a couple of months ago. I've always said they are a QF team. I always wait until after the QFs until I say that though. 😂

If they get further than that they have over performed. Last time round they only managed it because they got such an easy draw. If they get papped out before the QFs then they have under performed. This time again, they got an easy draw all the way to the QF then got papped out by the first half decent team they had to play.  

Pretty standard stuff for them. It's just a pity Scotland can't be as average as them.

England are better than that, they went toe to toe with the likely winners yesterday.  And Bellingham, what a footballer- he will be the best player in the world soon. The may well win euro 2024.

40 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

England are better than that, they went toe to toe with the likely winners yesterday.  And Bellingham, what a footballer- he will be the best player in the world soon. The may well win euro 2024.

They might be one day but certainly not yet, or they would still be in the competition. Which they are not.

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I genuinely think the quality this time around is pretty pish to be honest.  Neither Frane or Croatia are as good as 2018 and Belgium were quality last time but absolutely honking this.

As good as Morocco have been as a team they're in the semis really because there is a real dearth of quality elsewhere. Loads of the teams seem on a decline.

Modric and Messi, who spends most of the game walking, are on for player of the tournament. Giroud is probably the best number 9 and a championship centre half has a chance of making team of the tournament.

I think we're entering our most promising period in decades and could with a bit of luck have a real shot of qualifying for the next one.

Got to agree. Possibly down to the lack of preparation time with it being played mid-season. 

Hopefully not the begining of the demise of player interest in international football. A lot of players looked totally uninterested.