U21s - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21s

Hertsscot

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Honestly I thought the gulf in class between us and Belgium tonight might have well have been an ocean. It was every man in the box for most of that match. They attack, we aimlessly punt it clear. Repeat. I found that pretty dispiriting despite the win.

Sounds like we fluked a win. Not very encouraging overall, especially when you consider how poor the u21s usually are under gemmill. 

1 hour ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Doak taken off after an hour. Being called up for the Norway game maybe? 

I would be astonished if that happened.

Jeremiah Chukwuedo Chilokoa-Mullen will cost a few quid to put on the Scotland tops of the future...

Edited by Toepoke

2nd half was backs to the wall but we defended really well. Very disciplined and limited then to 1 real chance and then countless promising positions.

King and Barron were good in midfield again. Barron impresses me everytime ive seen him recently. Kings a strange one. Was meant to be the big hope coming through at Rangers. Had a few difficult performances in a struggling team and now seems nowhere near getting game time. I wonder if he considers defensive mid a long term postion or if he is just doing a job for the U21s.

Doak has talent, bags of it and ive no doubt his time will come but needs some big end product moments if he has any hope of his time coming by next summer.

23 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

2nd half was backs to the wall but we defended really well. Very disciplined and limited then to 1 real chance and then countless promising positions.

King and Barron were good in midfield again. Barron impresses me everytime ive seen him recently. Kings a strange one. Was meant to be the big hope coming through at Rangers. Had a few difficult performances in a struggling team and now seems nowhere near getting game time. I wonder if he considers defensive mid a long term postion or if he is just doing a job for the U21s.

Doak has talent, bags of it and ive no doubt his time will come but needs some big end product moments if he has any hope of his time coming by next summer.

Well he did get a lovely assist, and won the corner that led to the first goal. In a game where chances were going to be limited.

I'm not saying his end product has fully materialised, but it's on its way. Senior international game time could speed up his progress...

Just watched the game on YouTube and have to say that its a tough watch. We couldn't even hold onto possession for more than 4 seconds. 

Basically got a bit of luck with the header and the keeper gifted us the second although doak did do well with the pass through to Cameron. 

Slicker and mullin played well, especially mullin. He was a rock in defence and one of the few positives from the match.

Overall our youth sides seem to struggle. Everytime I watch them they are brutal at doing the basics like controlling a ball and making a pass.

Where are we going wrong at youth level because our main team is quite decent to watch at times.

Gemmill really needs to go, hes had years in the job and hes had relatively talented groups of players to work with but they always seems to struggle.

This result has probably papered over some cracks but overall it's not good enough.

4 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Just watched the game on YouTube and have to say that its a tough watch. We couldn't even hold onto possession for more than 4 seconds. 

Overall our youth sides seem to struggle. Everytime I watch them they are brutal at doing the basics like controlling a ball and making a pass

I only saw the last fifteen minutes and it was backs to the wall stuff. Just annoys me when clearing the ball and losing possession in the process. Yes, priority is to clear the immediate danger but cool heads would keep the pressure off by not giving the ball away.

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Basically got a bit of luck with the header and the keeper gifted us the second although doak did do well with the pass through to Cameron. 

Slicker and mullin played well, especially mullin. He was a rock in defence and one of the few positives from the match.

Overall our youth sides seem to struggle. Everytime I watch them they are brutal at doing the basics like controlling a ball and making a pass.

Where are we going wrong at youth level because our main team is quite decent to watch at times.

Gemmill really needs to go, hes had years in the job and hes had relatively talented groups of players to work with but they always seems to struggle.

This result has probably papered over some cracks but overall it's not good enough.

I think that’s a bit harsh on the players. It was a fairly even game when it was 0-0. When we went 2 up it becomes ones a backs to the wall with the hope of hitting them on the break. It’s not really possible to keep possession effectively when all the players are sitting deep. It was a tactical decision and arguably it worked. Some good defenders in that team, too. 

46 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think that’s a bit harsh on the players. It was a fairly even game when it was 0-0. When we went 2 up it becomes ones a backs to the wall with the hope of hitting them on the break. It’s not really possible to keep possession effectively when all the players are sitting deep. It was a tactical decision and arguably it worked. Some good defenders in that team, too. 

100% this...

Whoever the commentator was (Rory something) suggested at half time that Gemmill had a choice to make, try and kill the game off by getting a 3rd or attempt to defend what he had.

Credit where its due for goodness sake...he got the result.

3 hours ago, syecosse said:

Bowat and Mullen look like they could be a solid pairing together for the future at the back. 

I'm not sure that either were born in Scotland. So let's hope, not only that they continue to develop but that other nations keep their filthy hands off them.

8 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

All Hungary this half. Slicker been excellent to keep us in it

If Slicker can get some game time for Ipswich can see him on the plane to Germany. Fantastic performance so far, as he had against Belgium. looks very confident and assured.  Nobody else in the team can hold onto the ball. 

1 minute ago, marinello said:

Agree with above.

Slicker looking assured, brave and confident. Could he make it into the 'A' team. Wouldn't say no.

Id rather have him in the squad than McCrorie. He isnt getting regular 1st team action but has played 3 times and at least made the move to attempt to get some football. McCrorie shouldnt be rewarded for lack of will / ambition to play 1st team football.

8 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Id rather have him in the squad than McCrorie. He isnt getting regular 1st team action but has played 3 times and at least made the move to attempt to get some football. McCrorie shouldnt be rewarded for lack of will / ambition to play 1st team football.

Don’t know about that one. McCrories played in the champs league qualifiers, old firms and had a run of SPL starts, kept clean sheets in big games & made big saves.

Zander Clark should be binned same as Greg Taylor and Jacob Brown 

16 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I totally agree he should leave Rangers immediately though