U21s - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

U21s

Hertsscot

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

It was almost like one of those old-school senior team performances where we snatched a 1-0 against a much better team. Apart from them scoring, obv

I honestly hope and pray some club is daft enough to take a punt on him. He's had some decent results here and there, but he's had some truly fantastic young players playing absolutely honking old school football.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never saw game but saw plenty of others with gemmill in charge so I can imagine. What I have noticed on this thread though is a majority saying its not about results it's all about development etc etc. 

Imo that is a load of rubbish. A winning mentality if it would ever exist in our underage teams would transfer to when they get to main team and would also I'm sure cut out the likes of hickey not wanting to play for under age teams. 

Boys want to win all the time and our it's all about developing players is certainly not the main attitude of the top teams who play their top players all the time and treat underage groups with the respect they deserve. Our u21 team looking at squad does not have 1 regular starter 1st pick at club football.  I know there are welsh .graham. and others that are in about teams but they are not 1st picks. 

12 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Never saw game but saw plenty of others with gemmill in charge so I can imagine. What I have noticed on this thread though is a majority saying its not about results it's all about development etc etc. 

Imo that is a load of rubbish. A winning mentality if it would ever exist in our underage teams would transfer to when they get to main team and would also I'm sure cut out the likes of hickey not wanting to play for under age teams. 

Boys want to win all the time and our it's all about developing players is certainly not the main attitude of the top teams who play their top players all the time and treat underage groups with the respect they deserve. Our u21 team looking at squad does not have 1 regular starter 1st pick at club football.  I know there are welsh .graham. and others that are in about teams but they are not 1st picks. 

Spot on.

Look at the most successful sportsmen of recent times like Roger Federer, Lewis Hamilton, Andy Murray and Stephen Hendry to name but a few. All have spoken that were driven by the fact they hated to lose - even at simple things like a game of cards between training. That is the mentality we need our players to have instilled in them.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on.

Look at the most successful sportsmen of recent times like Roger Federer, Lewis Hamilton, Andy Murray and Stephen Hendry to name but a few. All have spoken that were driven by the fact they hated to lose - even at simple things like a game of cards between training. That is the mentality we need our players to have instilled in them.

I don't exactly see that mentality instilled in our u21s by Scott Gemmell.

There have been results like this over the years but also tons of bad defeats and dropped points. He's just a poor old school manager. 

If anything playing this horrific way at youth level, would instill the mentality of you aren't good enough. The only way to not lose is to dig in, be hard to beat and clear it instead of passing. 

That's not exactly the message, you want to send to your young players.

6 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I don't exactly see that mentality instilled in our u21s by Scott Gemmell.

There have been results like this over the years but also tons of bad defeats and dropped points. He's just a poor old school manager. 

If anything playing this horrific way at youth level, would instill the mentality of you aren't good enough. The only way to not lose is to dig in, be hard to beat and clear it instead of passing. 

That's not exactly the message, you want to send to your young players.

Oh no of course not. He should be out and should have been axed a long time ago. I am puzzled and bemused as to why he is still in the job.

44 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

That's very much how England have seen it the last few years.  Get winning, get qualified, get used to tournament football. with our present u21 its neither fish nor fowl, neither development (play in a manner suitable for international football, progression into senior team) nor winning.

Always surprises me that the U21 team and all the younger teams dont play the same formation, strategy, tactics and style as the senior team. For the U21 and U19 you would want to be replicating the on and off team process as similar as possible for the first team so the transition up the ladder can be as quick and seamless as possible 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

That's very much how England have seen it the last few years.  Get winning, get qualified, get used to tournament football. with our present u21 its neither fish nor fowl, neither development (play in a manner suitable for international football, progression into senior team) nor winning.

Aye, you could almost forgive Gemmill sending his teams out to play agricultural football if he was getting them to tournaments but he hasn't got us qualified once!

Rainer Bonhoff was the last decent coach we had at U21 level, and that's nearly 20 years ago.

11 minutes ago, borojock said:

Always surprises me that the U21 team and all the younger teams dont play the same formation, strategy, tactics and style as the senior team. For the U21 and U19 you would want to be replicating the on and off team process as similar as possible for the first team so the transition up the ladder can be as quick and seamless as possible 

I think that's what the Dutch did. Every team from the youth teams up to the senior side played 4-3-3, meaning the transition was seamless.

43 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, you could almost forgive Gemmill sending his teams out to play agricultural football if he was getting them to tournaments but he hasn't got us qualified once!

Rainer Bonhoff was the last decent coach we had at U21 level, and that's nearly 20 years ago.

I think that's what the Dutch did. Every team from the youth teams up to the senior side played 4-3-3, meaning the transition was seamless.

Eh?  We went 14 games without a win under him!  Probably our worst run ever.  Big disciplinary problems in his squad as well.

The thing is, his last two games are 0-0 away to Belgium and 1-1 away to Denmark. Which looks decent. Pity about the previous 6 matches which had guaranteed qualification was over the hills and far away.

I'd echo those who suggest we have no idea what the U21s are for. Getting them winning would be good.

52 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Eh?  We went 14 games without a win under him!  Probably our worst run ever.  Big disciplinary problems in his squad as well.

We also won our qualifying group under him, which I don't think we have managed since.

13 hours ago, borojock said:

That was the initial plan under Wotte as performance director, but once he went (due to all the push back on his ideas), We played anything at different levels under horrific coaches. 

• 11 months later...
38 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

It is definitely one of the strongest squads I can remember, especially given the likes of Ramsay, Doig, Hickey, Lowry, Anderson, Devine, Dane Murray and even Rory Wilson could be in the squad.

I think Gilmour and Patterson would still be eligible as well.

• 3 weeks later...