Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 377 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Livramento has been in the press quite recently speaking of his England ambitions. Other articles out there too like the one below and he is already and England international at several levels:-

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/kieran-trippier-eddie-howe-southampton-magpies-manchester-city-b2510341.html

Doesn't mean he would very happily play for Scotland too. He might end up playing for England but I hope he doesn't. 

If you have a choice to play for a number of countries at youth level and have lots of people advising you at a young age it it makes sense/is understandable that you play for the team with a better set-up/facilities/stronger coaches/players. And this is true even if they have stronger ties to Scotland, see Fletcher's sons, K Dembele, Jensen Weir etc. 

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Doesn't mean he would very happily play for Scotland too. He might end up playing for England but I hope he doesn't. 

If you have a choice to play for a number of countries at youth level and have lots of people advising you at a young age it it makes sense/is understandable that you play for the team with a better set-up/facilities/stronger coaches/players. And this is true even if they have stronger ties to Scotland, see Fletcher's sons, K Dembele, Jensen Weir etc. 

The point is those touted have shown no interest at all and, in all honesty, why should they? Born in England, raised in England with an English culture, with English mates (presumably) and representing England at junior levels is surely enough indication where their loyalties and desires lie. Granted not all cases are like that but the ones constantly sniffed after on here (the Newcastle clan) certainly and should be left to pursue their dream. Continuing to sniff around them is embarrassing and shows low self-esteem in my opinion. Approach if you do not know how they feel and if they do not commit then never ask again. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The point is those touted have shown no interest at all and, in all honesty, why should they? Born in England, raised in England with an English culture, with English mates (presumably) and representing England at junior levels is surely enough indication where their loyalties and desires lie. Granted not all cases are like that but the ones constantly sniffed after on here (the Newcastle clan) certainly and should be left to pursue their dream. Continuing to sniff around them is embarrassing and shows low self-esteem in my opinion. Approach if you do not know how they feel and if they do not commit then never ask again. 

Exactly. 👍

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agree to disagree. 

We need to remember most people aren’t like you or I or the rest on this forum. A lot of football fans and players won’t grow up watching a national teams, let alone attending home or away games. It’s just so unlikely that someone like Livramento or Adams were passionate England supporters (especially because they have mixed backgrounds). And that’s why they’ll happily and proudly play for us. 

But fair enough if they are passionate English fans, and turn down Scotland call ups (obviously Adams didn’t do this and is a successful player for us). 

So I’d always hope that a Scottish qualifying player wants to play for us. 

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

Agree to disagree. 

We need to remember most people aren’t like you or I or the rest on this forum. A lot of football fans and players won’t grow up watching a national teams, let alone attending home or away games. It’s just so unlikely that someone like Livramento or Adams were passionate England supporters (especially because they have mixed backgrounds). And that’s why they’ll happily and proudly play for us. 

But fair enough if they are passionate English fans, and turn down Scotland call ups (obviously Adams didn’t do this and is a successful player for us). 

So I’d always hope that a Scottish qualifying player wants to play for us. 

Gordon, Livramento and Barnes are raging mad passionate Englishmen already on record as to what their international ambitions are. That is to represent England.

Yes Adams is an example that I am not happy or comfortable with but he gets my full support in a Scotland shirt.

The Newcastle clan have clearly no ambition to represent Scotland and would not be suprised at all if this has turnef Anderson's head away from us too.

I think we got a big clue that Clarke had asked at ladt international break when he was asked about Gordon and others and he stated the bus was parked on that front and no pursuits would be made in near future of anyone.

While the usual debate is in full swing from the usual suspects im just reading Steve Clarke is after Joe Taylor who’s a 21 year old Luton striker who’s scored a good few this year on loan to Lincoln.

Surely a Welsh/English/Scottish who’s represented Wales previously. 

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

While the usual debate is in full swing from the usual suspects im just reading Steve Clarke is after Joe Taylor who’s a 21 year old Luton striker who’s scored a good few this year on loan to Lincoln.

Aaaaah yes sounds exactly like how the Gordon rumours surfaced but soon torpedoed as he held true to his morals, desire and principles. This one likewise is newspaper space...no more.

Each to their own but we moved down to England really young - both parents are Scottish and Scotland would be my first choice all day.  

If in a parallel universe if I wasn't good enough for Scotland and England wanted me would I play for them?  Up until fairly recently I'd have said nae chance but suppose it would depend where you are in your career and if it presented an opportunity to improve your stock in the transfer market.  

Luckily a dichotomy I'm unlikely, as a fat middle aged bloke with one good knee, to ever be presented with in reality.  

34 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Each to their own but we moved down to England really young - both parents are Scottish and Scotland would be my first choice all day.  

If in a parallel universe if I wasn't good enough for Scotland and England wanted me would I play for them?  Up until fairly recently I'd have said nae chance but suppose it would depend where you are in your career and if it presented an opportunity to improve your stock in the transfer market.  

Luckily a dichotomy I'm unlikely, as a fat middle aged bloke with one good knee, to ever be presented with in reality.  

In this scenario the player would be around Scotland squads from Under-16s onwards and I think folk wouldn't have any issues with them playing for Scotland.

17 minutes ago, Goozay said:

In this scenario the player would be around Scotland squads from Under-16s onwards and I think folk wouldn't have any issues with them playing for Scotland.

Wasn't what I was meaning mate - say Scotland are top 5 in the world and England are late 20's.  I'm Scottish, played at youth level for Scotland but there are 5-6 left wingers better than me so unlikely to get in the full squad.  I hit 25 and England make a Euros and want to add some depth to their squad in a problem position - qualify through residency, no real affiliation but only chance to play in a major tournament along with boosting the business end of my career.  

I can see why players do it to be honest but equally wonder if it's weird looking back once you've retired and think you've pinched someone else spot really. 

4 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Everton getting horsed 4-0 by Chelsea at halftime. Sean Dyche subs on - wait for it - Nathan Patterson!  😲

Yeh I only put it on as thought if he doesn't make a raft of changes & give Patterson a chance now he never will

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Doesn’t look as bad as he did for us. 

Did at the 6th goal & went off injured making a very poor attempt at a challenge in the lead up to the goal 🥴

7 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Did at the 6th goal & went off injured making a very poor attempt at a challenge in the lead up to the goal 🥴

Tbf it looked like he'd done his hamstring in the build up to the goal.

8 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

He did okay apart from a couple of poor passes until that 6 goal, beaten too easily & injured what looked a pulled hamstring trying to make that challenge 😪

The lads having really bad luck as he might have done enough to get more minutes or even a start at the weekend now it could be touch & go if he'll make the Euros 😪

3 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

To add to the good news it looks like Tierney is no longer Real Sociedad’s first choice left back. Didn’t get off the bench at the weekend. 

He’s less likely to be overplayed and injured I suppose. But he could do with a couple of starts over the next month. 

He'll need to be fit to fill in at right wing back. 

On 4/14/2024 at 10:34 PM, ProudScot said:

Don't know much about Taylor but ex St Mirren & Scotland under 21 midfielder Ethan Erhahon has had a great season for Lincoln apparently . Still only 22 & a natural holding midfielder.