Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 363 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

4 keepers and 6 centre halves (and that doesn’t include Tierney). Is that really necessary? Can we not find some forwards from somewhere , even the U21s to at least have a look at them eg Conway 

Yep there’s loads of goalies and defenders.

Youd have thought time to get guys like Conway in for a look indeed

10 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yep there’s loads of goalies and defenders.

Youd have thought time to get guys like Conway in for a look indeed

That's a good point. We've plenty of cover in defence and midfield but only three strikers. Injuries happen, and we've still two months of the season left. I'm not saying Conway specifically should have been called up (although I think the boy has potential) but maybe this would have been a good opportunity to look at another forward in case anything happens to Adams, Dykes or Shankland (fingers crossed they're all fit, obviously). 

I didn't expect many surprises and I didn't get many, apart from Liams Cooper and Kelly being included, which is fair enough at this stage. Gunn is nailed on - if he remains free of injury (can you tell I'm getting paranoid here?? 😂) but I guess Clarke is still pondering who his second and third choice goalies might be. Cooper is a bit of a strange one though, considering he hasn't even played much for Leeds lately, but maybe he's in there for cover.

8 minutes ago, LoganRoy said:

Doesn't give him much scope of someone gets injured up top.  The squads settled, and I can see the reasons for picking what he has but would have liked to have seen Conway or Hardie called up. 

Decent cover frommidfield players to push one forward a bit behind Shankland. Christie/Mcginn/Mctominay could perform in that position easily.

Edited by YesTA

If he is only playing one centre forward at a time, then three is plenty. Looks like he wants to try out a few different central defenders, so I think that's all the experimenting he is planning on doing. He obviously wants to see if Gordon has recovered enough to be included in the final squad.

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If he is only playing one centre forward at a time, then three is plenty. Looks like he wants to try out a few different central defenders, so I think that's all the experimenting he is planning on doing. He obviously wants to see if Gordon has recovered enough to be included in the final squad.

Gordon played well in the cup last night. Clarke was present. 

I would defo have Gordon in the squad over Kelly. Kelly brings nothing to the squad whereas Gordon brings international experience, big club experience has will defo have the respect of all the players.

6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Gordon played well in the cup last night. Clarke was present. 

I would defo have Gordon in the squad over Kelly. Kelly brings nothing to the squad whereas Gordon brings international experience, big club experience has will defo have the respect of all the players.

I agree. Even if he doesn't get a game at the EUROS it would be good to have his experience in the squad and around the dressing room.

2 hours ago, saintsparky said:

I think we pretty much know the 23 man Euros squad now..

From the above the changes will be:-

IN.  McGregor, Hickey

OUT. Kelly, Cooper, Ralston, Taylor.

Yeah I think you've nailed it although Hickey is the only major injury doubt currently. If he doesn't make it then it'll be Ralston who will take his spot.

Nothing really unexpected in the squad. I suspect Shankland would have made it in even if Brown were fit but it's clear he doesn’t know who is best CB's are. I suspect this is Cooper's farewell tour as I find his inclusion slightly baffling. 

3 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Nothing really unexpected in the squad. I suspect Shankland would have made it in even if Brown were fit but it's clear he doesn’t know who is best CB's are. I suspect this is Cooper's farewell tour as I find his inclusion slightly baffling. 

Yeah Cooper is pretty pish. 4 goalies when there’s only 3 strikers and 2 games to come is also very odd. 

7 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Nothing really unexpected in the squad. I suspect Shankland would have made it in even if Brown were fit but it's clear he doesn’t know who is best CB's are. I suspect this is Cooper's farewell tour as I find his inclusion slightly baffling. Aye

Agree, Cooper has barely played all season yet still makes the most predictable defence heavy squad that could be picked.

Nothing to get excited about in this selection & when Clarke trims it to 23 there will be almost no players on the bench capable of changing the game when we are inevitably losing.

Sorry but I think it's really telling how average we are when we can't persuade any of the potential qualifying players that could represent us to commit. 

I'm generally a glass half full person but I really fear for us if we lose any of our key players.

6 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Agree, Cooper has barely played all season yet still makes the most predictable defence heavy squad that could be picked.

Nothing to get excited about in this selection & when Clarke trims it to 23 there will be almost no players on the bench capable of changing the game when we are inevitably losing.

Sorry but I think it's really telling how average we are when we can't persuade any of the potential qualifying players that could represent us to commit. 

I'm generally a glass half full person but I really fear for us if we lose any of our key players.

For me, Ryan Fraser (I doubt Doak will make it even if he's recovered on time) is the only one who could offer us something different from the bench.  I hope he makes the final squad but in place of who?

Like you imply, I think we have a strong first XI but injuries to key players (in defence above all) and we go back to what we were like three or four years ago.  I have no faith in Patterson as a defender and his lack of gametime only worsens that. Taylor has shown time and time again that he's not up to it but I suppose there is nobody else. In terms of CB's, I'm a bit more confident as none of them are worldbeaters but you could lose one or two (NOT TIERNEY) and still be OK.

I don't know about the English players who could have joined. Over at Pie and Bovril the rumour is that Elliott Anderson was getting teased quite a lot and that's why he left. I don't know if there's any real truth in that but you'd think it would have had to have been quite bad for him to down tools.

11 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

For me, Ryan Fraser (I doubt Doak will make it even if he's recovered on time) is the only one who could offer us something different from the bench.  I hope he makes the final squad but in place of who?

Like you imply, I think we have a strong first XI but injuries to key players (in defence above all) and we go back to what we were like three or four years ago.  I have no faith in Patterson as a defender and his lack of gametime only worsens that. Taylor has shown time and time again that he's not up to it but I suppose there is nobody else. In terms of CB's, I'm a bit more confident as none of them are worldbeaters but you could lose one or two (NOT TIERNEY) and still be OK.

I don't know about the English players who could have joined. Over at Pie and Bovril the rumour is that Elliott Anderson was getting teased quite a lot and that's why he left. I don't know if there's any real truth in that but you'd think it would have had to have been quite bad for him to down tools.

I'm actually pretty happy with the squad. It is very versatile. We have players like McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Christie, and Ferguson who are good attackers but can also play a deeper role if needs be. 

Doak is the long term solution to our lack of wingers, Fraser would be the short term solution. It's just deciding who to drop to make way for him.

Saying that, Patterson and Robbo are essentially deployed as wingers anyway, so plenty of width on the pitch. I'm quietly optimistic.

28 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm actually pretty happy with the squad. It is very versatile. We have players like McTominay, McGinn, Armstrong, Christie, and Ferguson who are good attackers but can also play a deeper role if needs be. 

Doak is the long term solution to our lack of wingers, Fraser would be the short term solution. It's just deciding who to drop to make way for him.

Saying that, Patterson and Robbo are essentially deployed as wingers anyway, so plenty of width on the pitch. I'm quietly optimistic.

I agree in that there aren't any standout players who I think should have been picked but haven't. Fraser is the only one and he's injured.  I also know that some of these players are very unlikely to make the Euros squad.

I'd be quite curious to see what future squads look like. I think there are some players who might be playing, or maybe not playing, in their last campaign (McLean, Hanley, Cooper, Armstrong, and, obviously, Gordon). I also wonder if Dykes might be transitioned out as there are probably some better options now.

I'm also curious to see who plays at CB as I don't think we should be considering anyone an automatic pick apart from Tierney.

8 hours ago, theabsentee said:

That's the spirit! 

4 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Surely that can't be true. Would hate to think that a 22 year old man couldn't take a bit of ribbing in a dressing room environment without throwing the toys out the pram.He's not playing at schoolboy level for f.. ks sake. It just can't be true. 😂😂

17 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Surely that can't be true. Would hate to think that a 22 year old man couldn't take a bit of ribbing in a dressing room environment without throwing the toys out the pram.He's not playing at schoolboy level for f.. ks sake. It just can't be true. 😂😂

60 is the new 50,50 is the new 40, 40 is the new 30.

By my reckoning 22 is the new 15. 20-30year olds  today are pathetic, most of them still play with children’s toys. 

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Anthony Gordon's dream coming true called up for England today. Maybe this will bring an end to him being sniffed around by some Scots.

Screenshot_20240314_150034_BBC Sport.jpg

Should keep the tartan army racists happy 👍

On 3/13/2024 at 8:50 AM, BryanBlessed said:

I agree in that there aren't any standout players who I think should have been picked but haven't. Fraser is the only one and he's injured.  I also know that some of these players are very unlikely to make the Euros squad.

I'd be quite curious to see what future squads look like. I think there are some players who might be playing, or maybe not playing, in their last campaign (McLean, Hanley, Cooper, Armstrong, and, obviously, Gordon). I also wonder if Dykes might be transitioned out as there are probably some better options now.

I'm also curious to see who plays at CB as I don't think we should be considering anyone an automatic pick apart from Tierney.

Gordon aside, most of those players you mentioned are still only in their early 30s. That shouldn't really be any reason for them to be thinking about retiring.

Saying that, with the relative conveyor belt of talent we seem to have been creating the past few years, I think they'll very soon be transitioned out to make way for fhe next wave.

I'm super glad the vast majority of our squad have half a dozen or more years ahead of them. 3 of our best players - Hickey, Gilmour and Patterson have over a decade each. 

(By "best players" I mean the core group of 15ish guys that are guaranteed picks for every squad)

Edited by Tartan blood