Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 353 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Shankland supported by McTomminay and McGinn - there’s going to be chaos in Germany  

Warming to that idea myself & I'd previously not fancied Shankland due to the level he plays at.

Depends on the game I reckon, against Germany I don't think so, better the work rate of Adams or Dykes, they can create space for Mctominay or McGinn on breaks forward though in games when we are on the front foot starting with Shankland could be the way to go.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Shankland-sceptic for a long time but this season he has really impressed me. His strike-rate alone is impressive enough but he doesn't just score tap-ins, he's capable of scoring a variety of goals. His second against Airdrie yesterday - a lovely chipped finish over the 'keeper - was top class. Aye, Airdrie are a Championship team, but he's also shown he can score goals in Europe and against the OF, which tells me he's a bit more than a Kris Boyd-style flat-track-bully.

He's shown he can also create chances for others, his hold-up play has improved and he can play in the air. The only thing he lacks, really, is natural pace, which I suspect is why Clarke has been a bit ambivalent towards him. If he can maintain his form and stay fit though, Clarke would be mad not to at least include him in his final squad, if not start him. 

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Fred was & he spent plenty time on the United bench also sometimes due to Scott starting.

Our Scott's a bit of a enigma especially at club level, he isn't good enough to dictate a game, doesn't always track back but he is very good at driving forward, great athletic, gets stuck in and is lethal in and around the box. 

One thing for sure is he will never be a defensive midfielder while there's a whole in his arse!  Looks like the central defender experiment didn't work either.

He is 27 now so let's hope all those alleged expert coaches have finally realised him limitations & will let him flourish in a role that suits him as a box to box midfielder or support striker though I'm still sure there's still time for him to be tried as a number 9! Wonder if it will be us or a club to inevitable try that out.

True, but Fred wasn't the clubs top scorer at the time

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

I've been a Shankland-sceptic for a long time but this season he has really impressed me. His strike-rate alone is impressive enough but he doesn't just score tap-ins, he's capable of scoring a variety of goals. His second against Airdrie yesterday - a lovely chipped finish over the 'keeper - was top class. Aye, Airdrie are a Championship team, but he's also shown he can score goals in Europe and against the OF, which tells me he's a bit more than a Kris Boyd-style flat-track-bully.

He's shown he can also create chances for others, his hold-up play has improved and he can play in the air. The only thing he lacks, really, is natural pace, which I suspect is why Clarke has been a bit ambivalent towards him. If he can maintain his form and stay fit though, Clarke would be mad not to at least include him in his final squad, if not start him. 

Clarke shouldn't be averse to  playing him because of a lack of pace. Very few in our squad have any sort of pace. He is a natural finisher and that should be the reason for his inclusion alone. 

9 hours ago, scotlad said:

Just a shame hes turning 29 in the summer. If he was 23/24 then he would be looking at a much greater career at both club and international level. 

Either way Clarke has to give him a decent chance soon as we are short of goalscoring players and relying on mcginn and mctominay to score most of our goals is a risky business imo.

Can't believe rangers didn't sign him. Not many strikers out there who would score over 30 goals a season who cost 5m or less. Not to mention he's a big rangers fan.

53 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

1-0 down already. Some game to be making his debut, especially out of his usual position.

It's also not his debut. He played the previous 2 games for them (and conceded 5 goals!)

9 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

BBC have got it wrong then.

The BBC sports reporter hasn't googled hard enough. He played in FC Copenhagens last 2 matches in the Atlantic Cup.

https://www.aiscore.com/match-elfsborg-fc-copenhagen/o07dniwe3y0imkn/lineups

https://www.sofascore.com/fc-kobenhavn-molde-fk/lnsJA

This move for McKenna has probably just played him into being in our first 11 at the Euros.

We are pretty close to being able to field a starting 11 with players from teams all playing at a decent level. 

1 CB might have to be from the Championship. The goalie as well, unless Gordon gets back in. The striker as well, though I think Shankland is going to play himself into the first 11, too.

9 players out of 11 is good going.

Lewis Ferguson captaining Bologna to a 2-0 win earlier and with an assist 

Haven’t seen any highlights but the lad is doing well 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

9 hours ago, broraboy said:

Lewis Ferguson captaining Bologna to a 2-0 win earlier and with an assist 

Haven’t seen any highlights but the lad is doing well 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Credited with an assist ,wonder what the Italians will think about him not starting for us. 

Ferguson should get a start in at least one of the friendlies, but that would probably mean dropping McTominay. On current form,  there’s a strong argument that Ferguson deserves a start more. McTominay has lost his place at Man U, he’s now more of a super sub who comes off the bench and still chips in with goals regularly. He could be the same for us but would be a big decision to drop him following his contribution in the qualifiers.

Similar with McGregor, not sure if he warrants starting at the moment. Would like to see Gilmour and Christie in the friendlies. And Shankland. Fraser back in the squad, Tierney & Hickey back fit and I’ll be happy.

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

Ferguson should get a start in at least one of the friendlies, but that would probably mean dropping McTominay. On current form,  there’s a strong argument that Ferguson deserves a start more. McTominay has lost his place at Man U, he’s now more of a super sub who comes off the bench and still chips in with goals regularly. He could be the same for us but would be a big decision to drop him following his contribution in the qualifiers.

Similar with McGregor, not sure if he warrants starting at the moment. Would like to see Gilmour and Christie in the friendlies. And Shankland. Fraser back in the squad, Tierney & Hickey back fit and I’ll be happy.

Tierney & Hickey both fit is crucial come the summer. Yeh the fringe guys you mention all deserve starts or a good amount of minutes in the friendlies, i would especially like to see Christie played in a deeper role.

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

When there was speculation about Ferguson moving to the EPL, it was generally bottom-half teams that were interested. McTominay has lost his place in a Man Utd team hitting form and probably aiming for the top four.  I can understand Man Utd dropping him as, finishing aside, he's probably not quite good enough for them and doesn't have enough to the rest of his game. However, I doubt Lewis Ferguson would get anywhere near the Man Utd starting XI either.  McTominay has that credit in the bank from the last campaign which other players, who should probably be dropped, don't.

I agree on Gilmour and Christie but I'd also like to see Souttar getting minutes in the friendlies as I think he could potentially take the place of Hendry or Porteous.

Of course, Shankland should be starting these upcoming games