Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 312 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

2 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Just an observation but Ryan Christie always seems to be a certain starter for Bournemouth.  He's only been a bit part player for Scotland  towards the end of this campaign.  

He gave us the goal v Serbia but is he worth a start 

His work rate is huge. I think he is near the top of the epl in terms of distance covered in a match. 

Probably one of our main strengths right now is having guys like Robertson, Christie and mctominay who are probably some of the best players in the epl in terms stamina and hard work.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Browns goal. 

Maybe a bit of potential there. He's got speed and can finish. He starts scoring more regularly then he could be a useful player eventually.

I think I’d be asking Harvey Barnes. 

If we’re going to have a punt on Livramento and Gordon it should be now. Neither will be going to the Euros with England. 

Also, if we were to have a wing back such as Patterson or Livramento,  what are the prospects of Hickey playing as the right sided centre back. i.e. Hickey, Hendry, Tierney? Is that sufficient aerial ability to deal with corners? I think Hickey is tremendous but I’m not sure wingback is optimum for him. 

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If we’re going to have a punt on Livramento and Gordon it should be now. Neither will be going to the Euros with England. 

Also, if we were to have a wing back such as Patterson or Livramento,  what are the prospects of Hickey playing as the right sided centre back. i.e. Hickey, Hendry, Tierney? Is that sufficient aerial ability to deal with corners? I think Hickey is tremendous but I’m not sure wingback is optimum for him. 

I would say Barnes has much less chance of getting into Engand's squad than Livramento and Gordon. They are not sure of their left back and Livramento can play there. Barnes has to compete with Grealish, Foden, Cole Palmer, Madison, Sterling and his own team mate Gordon. He is left-sided, and can score. We are sadly lacking n both attributes. Oh, we will get the usual Fxx he's English but he is a proper upgrade on our our 2020 squad. Unless Fraser can find his way into Clarke's good books.

4 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Just saying that Cairney had a sublime assist for a Fulham goal against Liverpool yesterday.

Probably too late for him but always a good player to watch. 

I suspect Cairney has said to Clarke that he doesn't wish to be considered for selection. I know we're quite well-stocked in midfield but for someone who plays at the level he does not to have been selected for over four years tells me he's made it clear he isn't interested. Which is a shame, because like you say, his assist yesterday was excellent.

36 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Aye, I'm with you there. Barnes appears to be completely out of the picture with England but Gordon and Livramento are playing regularly and on-form (unlike some players currently making the England squad). Southgate might not even be England manager by this time next year and a new coach might well have a different opinion on who he wants in his squad. 

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

I suspect Cairney has said to Clarke that he doesn't wish to be considered for selection. I know we're quite well-stocked in midfield but for someone who plays at the level he does not to have been selected for over four years tells me he's made it clear he isn't interested. Which is a shame, because like you say, his assist yesterday was excellent.

Aye, I'm with you there. Barnes appears to be completely out of the picture with England but Gordon and Livramento are playing regularly and on-form (unlike some players currently making the England squad). Southgate might not even be England manager by this time next year and a new coach might well have a different opinion on who he wants in his squad. 

Linniker was suggesting on MOTD on Saturday that he gets called up quickly as other nations are sniffing around

Livramento ...

I don't think we will get him tho .

18 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Browns goal. 

Maybe a bit of potential there. He's got speed and can finish. He starts scoring more regularly then he could be a useful player eventually.

I can't see it personally, his poor touch & limited technical ability means at best a cameo role away from home where his pace might be useful is probably his ceiling.

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

Yeh totally agree, Southgate will call Livramento asap not only due to other countries wanting him due to the fact he is more than good enough them. Brilliant player but sadly we just have to forget about him unless his mother threatens to cut of his genitals.

Barnes is definitely a upgrade on what we have English or not , get him in if he wants it.

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’d like to see Hickey tried as a defensive/holding midfielder, we are crying out for one. He has all the attributes and is defensively minded. Him alongside McGregor or Gilmour could be ideal. It would allow McTominay to play his more natural and effective role as a box-box midfielder  and would also allow McGregor/Gilmour to    concentrate more on the offensive side of their game. It would also free up the right wingback position for Patterson, who I think is better offensively than Hickey.

Edited by Scot1

1 hour ago, stocky said:

Linniker was suggesting on MOTD on Saturday that he gets called up quickly as other nations are sniffing around

Livramento ...

No, I don't think so either. I know England are up to their oxters in right-backs but the likes of Trippier and Walker and in their thirties now and will surely be replaced sooner rather than later. At that point it's all about getting yourself noticed and in the frame as a potential replacement.

28 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Yeh totally agree, Southgate will call Livramento asap not only due to other countries wanting him due to the fact he is more than good enough them. Brilliant player but sadly we just have to forget about him unless his mother threatens to cut of his genitals.

Barnes is definitely a upgrade on what we have English or not , get him in if he wants it.

Aye, unless he's for some reason decided he isn't interested in playing for England (and to be fair, potential castration is a good motivator!) then I think he'll be picked in the near future.

I'd sooner we get a really good attacking player on board though (we're not exactly short on full-backs ourselves at the moment, albeit most aren't in Livramento's league) and Barnes fits the bill there.

20 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

Yes, I agree with Scot1, Hickey has all the attributes for great holding midfielder, allowing Patterson the freedom to attack. For midfield I would go...

Hickey

McTominay Ferguson McGinn

My choice would be slightly different     
                 Hickey

McTominay.     McGregor (Gilmour)

McGinn

I think one of the problems we had in the last Euros was a lack of a natural defensive midfielder. Jack isn’t world class but I felt he anchored the midfield and gave it a better shape, without him it looked like Clarke had picked his best 4 midfielders  and thrown them in randomly. The proof the midfield wasn’t working was the fact he gave Gilmour his first start in the England game, a huge game to be making your competitive debut.
I’ve been hugely impressed with Hickey’s composure and he has the technical ability to play just about anywhere, just don’t see Clarke experimenting that much.

Our central defence is what worries me most going into the Euros, especially if McKenna doesn’t get a move in January. Not expecting Tierney to play in all 3 games, if any.

A really good defensive midfielder would help protect the defence and give the other midfielders more freedom. That could be Hickey, but as I said, with only 4 friendlies don’t see Clarke doing anything radical.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

No, I don't think so either. I know England are up to their oxters in right-backs but the likes of Trippier and Walker and in their thirties now and will surely be replaced sooner rather than later. At that point it's all about getting yourself noticed and in the frame as a potential replacement.

I guess it depends how much he wants to go to the Euros (all other things being equal). Southgate needs to pick 23 players and there won’t be too many slots available for new caps. Decision time for quite a few players. 

3 hours ago, stocky said:

Livramento ...

Pretty sure there were some people on here fairly recently suggesting he wasn't as good as Ralston or Ramsay. I've advocated for a long time that we ask the question whether he's going to play for us but given performances of late I can't see it happening either.

26 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I guess it depends how much he wants to go to the Euros (all other things being equal). Southgate needs to pick 23 players and there won’t be too many slots available for new caps. Decision time for quite a few players. 

All gone quiet on the Elliot Anderson front and if we had midfield injuries would Hayden Hackney change allegiance? We're not quite so strong in that position as we sometimes think we are.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

All gone quiet on the Elliot Anderson front and if we had midfield injuries would Hayden Hackney change allegiance? We're not quite so strong in that position as we sometimes think we are.

Hackney played recently for England U21; Anderson not getting into the Newcastle team even. IMO we don't need him as much as we need Barnes.

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He’s shite. Miss v Norway was embarrassing and close to Iwelumo-esque

Is there many better options?

Hes only 25, if starts to score a few in the epl and perform reasonable well there or the English championship next season then he will deserve a chance. 

He has got some decent attributes. Writing him off completely is unfair imo.