Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 275 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

56 minutes ago, BookhouseBoys said:

All the more impressive given that a good chunk of them were forward and not just back or sideways. He was really good today.

He's just so neat and tidy in possession, really only appreciated by folk that have actually played the game, goes unnoticed by the majority of knuckle draggers unfortunately.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a huge huge Gilmour fan but ive said it before, his lack of tracking midfield runners will be the reason he is left out of games and not fancied by some managers. 

McTomminay does it aswell. They see the run, they are within catching distance as the play develops but instead of just turning the 60% speed run into a 90% so that they are goal side, they keep the same speed as the runner, meaning that "if" play develops and the player gets put in then they cant stop them.

A simple recognition of the defensive side in those scenarios and he is almost the complete deep lying playmaker.

24 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Im a huge huge Gilmour fan but ive said it before, his lack of tracking midfield runners will be the reason he is left out of games and not fancied by some managers. 

McTomminay does it aswell. They see the run, they are within catching distance as the play develops but instead of just turning the 60% speed run into a 90% so that they are goal side, they keep the same speed as the runner, meaning that "if" play develops and the player gets put in then they cant stop them.

A simple recognition of the defensive side in those scenarios and he is almost the complete deep lying playmaker.

I agree with this point, but felt that today (and also the game vs Georgia) he was starting to add a bit more of that defensive bite. There was one moment in particular where he made the exact kind of run that you’re describing, stole the ball cleanly just outside the box and then turned and and started an attack. Maybe DeZerbi has identified that in his game and is working on it with him.

10 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I actually remember stating this about our midfield in general a few years back, and it was no coincidence that an inordinate amount of our conceded goals came from the centre of the pitch outside the box. Basically once Scott Brown retired. Callum McGregor used to be horrendous for this. But since being made Celtic captain, he seems to have fixed this side of his game. 

You're correct regarding McTominay, and why he is far better suited to being in a more attacking role, where he isn't expected to do the grunt work as often. 

As someone else said, Gilmour has added this to his game recently, and will be the making of him. As virtually every other central midfield attribute of his is world class.

11 hours ago, BookhouseBoys said:

I agree with this point, but felt that today (and also the game vs Georgia) he was starting to add a bit more of that defensive bite. There was one moment in particular where he made the exact kind of run that you’re describing, stole the ball cleanly just outside the box and then turned and and started an attack. Maybe DeZerbi has identified that in his game and is working on it with him.

It’s an interesting observation and I’m not disagreeing with you but a couple of thoughts. De Zerbi was piling on the praise for Gilmour yesterday and claims he is a transformed player compared to last year. Also a good comparison may be Jorginho who I don’t really recall sprinting back tracking runners. He was more about reading the game and making interceptions. That’s more of how I imagine Gilmour to develop. His defensive stats yesterday were quite solid yesterday 

4 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

It’s an interesting observation and I’m not disagreeing with you but a couple of thoughts. De Zerbi was piling on the praise for Gilmour yesterday and claims he is a transformed player compared to last year. Also a good comparison may be Jorginho who I don’t really recall sprinting back tracking runners. He was more about reading the game and making interceptions. That’s more of how I imagine Gilmour to develop. His defensive stats yesterday were quite solid yesterday 

I replied to the wrong comment here! Meant to reply to Diamond Scot!

3 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I watched the game yesterday and Gilmour was amazing. His passing stats were off the chart and was popping it about and dictating play. 

However right at the end Wolves broke down the left, Gilmours starting position was beside the Wolves player in the centre circle. Wolves player did an intial sprint that wasnt matched but then they both ran about 60% pace as play was developing. Ball gets cut back to the player and he gets a shot on target that was saved. Now obviously it was towards the end of a game that they were winning 4-1 so not crucial and no doubt Gilmour would have been tired however it just caught my eye as its been a big concern of mine previously. If Wolves had scored it would have been Gilmours fault. Thats never something you want against your scorecard regardless of the result or how well you have played the rest of the game.

As I said, im a huge fan and just want him to become as good as his talent allows. Something like this is easily fixed which I suppose is why it frustrates me so much.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I watched the game yesterday and Gilmour was amazing. His passing stats were off the chart and was popping it about and dictating play. 

However right at the end Wolves broke down the left, Gilmours starting position was beside the Wolves player in the centre circle. Wolves player did an intial sprint that wasnt matched but then they both ran about 60% pace as play was developing. Ball gets cut back to the player and he gets a shot on target that was saved. Now obviously it was towards the end of a game that they were winning 4-1 so not crucial and no doubt Gilmour would have been tired however it just caught my eye as its been a big concern of mine previously. If Wolves had scored it would have been Gilmours fault. Thats never something you want against your scorecard regardless of the result or how well you have played the rest of the game.

As I said, im a huge fan and just want him to become as good as his talent allows. Something like this is easily fixed which I suppose is why it frustrates me so much.

Understand why that would frustrate you. The boy has all he needs to be world class. Under the right manager, that’s fixable and from what I’ve seen so far, he does seem willing to learn

1 hour ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Understand why that would frustrate you. The boy has all he needs to be world class. Under the right manager, that’s fixable and from what I’ve seen so far, he does seem willing to learn

For me players like Pirlo are like a Rolls Royce - you don't ask them to plough the field but get Gatusso in his tractor to do it for them whilst they cruise about effortlessly.

I think Gilmour's career will always depend on the bloke the manager pairs him with.  Fingers crossed Brighton is the start of something beautiful because I've never seem a Scottish player like him.

Edited by ThistleWhistle

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

For me players like Pirlo are like a Rolls Royce - you don't ask them to plough the field but get Gatusso in his tractor to do it for them whilst they cruise about effortlessly.

I think Gilmour's career will always depend on the bloke the manager pairs him with.  Fingers crossed Brighton is the start of something beautiful because I've never seem a Scottish player like him.

Pirlo's positioning was 2nd to none and he also never shirked the hard work. Nobody is saying playmakers primary job is to break up play etc but if your position in the park is right in front of the back 4 then you will be required from time to time to track runners. 

6 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Pirlo's positioning was 2nd to none and he also never shirked the hard work. Nobody is saying playmakers primary job is to break up play etc but if your position in the park is right in front of the back 4 then you will be required from time to time to track runners. 

Totally mate - he regularly covered the most ground on the pitch looking for transitions before they were even a thing.   Italian systems back then though pretty sure he'd defend the width of the box and drop back to the edge of it waiting turnover rather than getting dragged out wide if possible.

The defensive side for Gilmour will hopefully improve with games too as that's really the only place he'll learn.  

Interesting parallels too in that Pirlo broke through early but was going nowhere at Inter as the midfield didn't suit him.  It wasn't until a loan at 21-22 to Brescia where the coach played him deeper that his potential shone through and AC took a punt - he was probably in last chance saloon on that loan and if that hadn't worked might have turned out a journeyman only spoken about by Championship Manager geeks! 

Nathan Patterson - Everton looking like in for another terrible season which is not great for him.Seen the highlights yesterday and he wasn’t at fault for any of the 4 goals by looks of it. And looked decent somewhat but the whole team was slagged by Dyche. Ironically if Liverpool are planning to move TAA centrally, Patterson seems a pretty decent shout for their right back position - loves to get forward and def fits the Klopp mould imo.

24 minutes ago, JECK said:

Nathan Patterson - Everton looking like in for another terrible season which is not great for him.Seen the highlights yesterday and he wasn’t at fault for any of the 4 goals by looks of it. And looked decent somewhat but the whole team was slagged by Dyche. Ironically if Liverpool are planning to move TAA centrally, Patterson seems a pretty decent shout for their right back position - loves to get forward and def fits the Klopp mould imo. 

Struggling team or not he needs to prove himself as a EPL level player before any of the top clubs will touch him. I love him for us but he isn't the finished article & needs to start performing well or he will be back on the bench when Coleman is fit.

35 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Struggling team or not he needs to prove himself as a EPL level player before any of the top clubs will touch him. I love him for us but he isn't the finished article & needs to start performing well or he will be back on the bench when Coleman is fit.

I would say he’s done relatively well compared with the rest of the team since returning late last season,  especially compared with the rest of the back line. Michael Keane especially looks out of his depth at EPL level and he appears to be there main centre back. Everton were  one of those clubs you’d be happy for a Scot to sign for, but not anymore. Look certs for relegation.

58 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Suggests that he's now fourth choice left back there. Essential that he gets a move out of there this month. 

Will Tomiyasu serve a ban for his red (2x yellows) today? Tierney needs to move, I am not sure if the Ukraine lad is even 100% fit and he was on the bench. It is of course possible Tierney is working on paperwork today..l