Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 232 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 hour ago, csinclair said:

Would definitely have him over Jack & Mclean. They've done a job in the past but we need to start looking to the future. 
McGregor & McTominay (if fit) would be my midfield duo after their performances against Ukraine & Ireland but I'd like to see Ferguson & Hackney as the backups. 

I'm not sure we have many midfield players we have that should start ahead of Ferguson apart from the two you mention and Mcginn.

Agree with you regards Jack and Mclean allthough I would still have the latter on the bench.

Looking at our last three games Armstrong to me is the most easily replaced starter. Nearly 31 and hasn't started  since November for the team bottom of the EPL.

I think I probably over rate Ryan Christie having said that.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I'm not sure we have many midfield players we have that should start ahead of Ferguson apart from the two you mention and Mcginn.

Agree with you regards Jack and Mclean allthough I would still have the latter on the bench.

Looking at our last three games Armstrong to me is the most easily replaced starter. Nearly 31 and hasn't started  since November for the team bottom of the EPL.

Armstrong will keep getting picked because he's scored some important goals in the past and we don't have many other options for wide attacking players. This is why we really need to hope the likes of Anderson, Doak, Mebude, McKinstry, Hepburn can kick on since Armstrong is getting on now
I wouldn't even be against playing Doig as a wide man given how far up the pitch he plays for Verona

43 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I've seen nothing of Hackney. What sort of midfielder is he?

I'd describe him as a box-to-box midfielder.  He can put a tackle in but he can also bring the ball forwards and he has an eye for a quick forward pass.

On 2/14/2023 at 11:32 AM, Diamond Scot said:

McBurnie is 26. He got the vast majority of his caps for us between the ages of 21 and 24. 

Do you accept that is young for an international player?

Do you accept that players reguarly get better with age and experience?

Is it your position that nowmatter what McBurnie does in his club career from now or, regardless of form etc that he should never get another call up.

To the extent that you would rather player a midfielder out of position, who has never shown any form anywhere near the level of McBurnies club form, is currently having a horrible season and isnt starting any games for his club side. Is that really your argument?

On the point about him playing against lesser teams. I think you may be being selective about the facts. He has has played Isreal 4 times but came off the bench on 3 off these occasions I believe, getting 16 mins, 29 mins and 14 mins. The only game he started he got 73 mins and it was the semi final we won on pens against them. He got 17 mins against Faroe Islands and 6 mins against Hungary and 28 mins against Cyprus. He also played 61 mins away to Kazakstan.

So really of the games against teams you would expect us to beat its really only Isreal im the semi and the awful Kazakstan game where you could say he had a fair crack of the whip. Thats not me saying his record is good. Clearly its not but theres more to it than saying he has had 17 caps and no goals. He has only started 7 times for Scotland.

Costa Rica, Mexico, Portugal, Russia and Slovakia included so all of this should be taken into consideration. Plus he has his the woodwork on at least 3 occasions that I remember so sometimes its fine margins.

The way I see it is that Adams is our clear number 1. Dykes clear number 2. After that there is very little difference between Stewart, Shankland, Nisbet and McBurnie. You could make an argument for any of them to be in the squad. 

^^^this.

37 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Armstrong is injured and has been for weeks.  Watched that lad Hackney in the most recent under 21 games. Looked a long way from the full team to me 

4 minutes ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Armstrong is injured and has been for weeks.  Watched that lad Hackney in the most recent under 21 games. Looked a long way from the full team to me 

Armstrong like you said has been injured but now fit & partly due to their league position I'll be surprised if he isn't starting sooner rather than later . He is a popular player with the Soton fans & certainly one of our better midfielders. No way is he close to being dropped from our squad.

I've never seen Hackney play but if he is good enough get him in & committed to us as don't forget I think he qualifies for us only through a grandparent.

I'm a fan of Ryan Jack & though he may be past his best I would rather McLean was fazed out first.

7 hours ago, csinclair said:

Armstrong will keep getting picked because he's scored some important goals in the past and we don't have many other options for wide attacking players. This is why we really need to hope the likes of Anderson, Doak, Mebude, McKinstry, Hepburn can kick on since Armstrong is getting on now
I wouldn't even be against playing Doig as a wide man given how far up the pitch he plays for Verona

Good call. He is more like a midfielder asked to track back. Has been sensational going forward in an average team in Serie A. Very surprised if he's not attracting interest elsewhere. 

Looking into some of our injured players:
Patterson is due to play for Everton U21s this evening
McTominay should be back in time for Carabao Cup final on 26th
McKenna looks like he's definitely out of the March games as he's out for 6 weeks.
Dykes is out of hospital but QPR boss says he's out 'for the foreseeable'
Nisbet could play against Kilmarnock tomorrow
Souttar looking like he won't play again this season with Rangers saying they're keen to not rush him back

Also good to see the likes of McGinn & Hickey back in action

56 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

The last couple of pages of this thread dominated by the progress of Jacob Brown & Oli McBurnie 😂

Hardly a couple of pages about Jacob brown more like a couple of posts. He is playing well though and if his good form continues Clarke will remain loyal, probably at the expense of McBurnie