Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 236 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I really enjoyed reading 'A Season with Verona' by Tim Parks about 10 years ago. A travelogue around Italy, with political and social slant. Right wing fans. Casual racism and hooliganism aplenty. A very interesting study of the reality of football fanaticism. 

I read that and The Miracle of Castel di Sangro in quick succession, probably also ten years ago.  

Verona fans really don’t come across very well. 

13 hours ago, adamntg said:

I read that and The Miracle of Castel di Sangro in quick succession, probably also ten years ago.  

Verona fans really don’t come across very well. 

I remember at the Italy game in Milan back in 2005(ish) there was a massive scrap in the section below the Scotland fans that was reputedly between Verona and Atalanta fans.

1 minute ago, theabsentee said:

He is good enough to be a impact player from the bench at the very least in their squad so what's changed 🤔 

Assume he’s did or said something, or lack of commitment in training etc

Howe played him last season so can’t be because of how he left Bournemouth 

10 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Assume he’s did or said something, or lack of commitment in training etc

Howe played him last season so can’t be because of how he left Bournemouth 

Another in a long list of players who did not realise their full potential due to non-footballing reasons. 

I genuinely think he is a fantastic player that probably should be sitting on over 50 caps by now. He's probably the closest player we've had to a Shaun Maloney or James McFadden replacement. But he's just never been able to get an extended run in the team for various reasons.

At 29, his next move is going to be extremely important. He needs to find the right team to settle into for the next 4+ years. Fingers crossed he doesn't just go to the MLS.

Edited by Tartan blood

53 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Another in a long list of players who did not realise their full potential due to non-footballing reasons. 

I genuinely think he is a fantastic player that probably should be sitting on over 50 caps by now. He's probably the closest player we've had to a Shaun Maloney or James McFadden replacement. But he's just never been able to get an extended run in the team for various reasons.

At 29, his next move is going to be extremely important. He needs to find the right team to settle into for the next 4+ years. Fingers crossed he doesn't just go to the MLS.

Totally agree, great player but unfortunately injury prone & maybe he has lost a yard of pace because of it. 

Shame his relationship with Howe may have soured so let's hope come the summer he has a move to a club in a top European league where he is appreciated. 

12 hours ago, theabsentee said:

He is good enough to be a impact player from the bench at the very least in their squad so what's changed 🤔 

I don't think Howe would have him training with the youngsters without good reason. I would also question his lack of commitment when being picked for Scotland squads. Shame as he is/ was a decent player.

Needs to get away from Newcastle asap if he has any ambitions of playing first team football and for Scotland.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

His next move will be the championship in England , no top level side will touch him 

20 minutes ago, prideothenorth said:

I don't think Howe would have him training with the youngsters without good reason. I would also question his lack of commitment when being picked for Scotland squads. Shame as he is/ was a decent player.

Needs to get away from Newcastle asap if he has any ambitions of playing first team football and for Scotland.

Yeh hopefully a move in summer & back in our squad for the sept fixtures.

2 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

His next move will be the championship in England , no top level side will touch him 

I disagree, mid table club or perhaps one of the promoted clubs such as Burnley would suit him.  His delivery & technical ability are of a premier League level so unless there's a major issue with injury or attitude there is no reason he can't still play at the top level in England.

49 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

I disagree, mid table club or perhaps one of the promoted clubs such as Burnley would suit him.  His delivery & technical ability are of a premier League level so unless there's a major issue with injury or attitude there is no reason he can't still play at the top level in England.

I remember him being interviewed early on in the season when he was starting for Newcastle, seemed to be okay with Howe then but obviously has gone sour. Thought he was being linked to Everton at the last transfer window and they wouldn't have been a bad move for him. Was really good when he first got into the Premier League but that's several seasons back now. I do like him when he's fit and in form but he needs out of the Toon.

5 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

It’s absolutely frightening that we still consider mctominay a significant player for us 

Tbf hes not always been first pick for us and a guy who gets games for man utd will always be considered for our first team and will always be in our squads. Saying that i wouldnt necessarily start him as i think hes mostly been average for us although he did play well in the last round of games.

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf hes not always been first pick for us and a guy who gets games for man utd will always be considered for our first team and will always be in our squads. Saying that i wouldnt necessarily start him as i think hes mostly been average for us although he did play well in the last round of games.

I think this hits the nail on the head.

Realistically a squad player in a top 4 PL team will always make our squad, even though he has played less recently it seems.

In his primary position he has been sitting around 3rd or 4th choice at best for a midfield slot. More likely to play as a playmaking defender when playing weaker teams, but less likely to start in defence against teams where we will be under more pressure, which I think is fair enough.