Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 175 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

Last year the idea of Greg Taylor starting for Scotland I found unnerving.

Today I would be quite happy to see him get a game.

His improvement this year has been phenomenal and he really looks like he could do a good job in Robertson's place if required.

Should Taylor be ahead of Hickey at left back assuming Patterson starts at right back?

Imo Hickey has played at a higher level, currently plays at a higher level and pretty much every single one of his attributes is higher than Taylor. Added that in the event of there being no clear "winner" id always opt for the player with more potential. Again Hickey is that player hands down.

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Should Taylor be ahead of Hickey at left back assuming Patterson starts at right back?

Imo Hickey has played at a higher level, currently plays at a higher level and pretty much every single one of his attributes is higher than Taylor. Added that in the event of there being no clear "winner" id always opt for the player with more potential. Again Hickey is that player hands down.

Doesn't mean that Taylor should be discarded. He's a totally different player now compared to what he was twelve months ago. We also know that Clarke likes him.

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Doesn't mean that Taylor should be discarded. He's a totally different player now compared to what he was twelve months ago. We also know that Clarke likes him.

Not saying he should be. Only that imo in the event of Robertson not playing that Hickey should be next in line?

54 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I think it should be Taylor.

Its all about opinions but would be interested to hear on what basis?

He has played well for the best team in a very poor league where he is very rarely tested and any mistakes are almost never punished. 

Do you think Taylor could star for Bologna in Italy or Brentford in the EPL?

What attributes do you think he has that are better than Hickey? Pace, tackling, shooting, crossing, tactical etc?

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its all about opinions but would be interested to hear on what basis?

He has played well for the best team in a very poor league where he is very rarely tested and any mistakes are almost never punished. 

Do you think Taylor could star for Bologna in Italy or Brentford in the EPL?

What attributes do you think he has that are better than Hickey? Pace, tackling, shooting, crossing, tactical etc?

Yes, I genuinely think the new and improved Taylor could do a job for a mid table English, French, German, Italian club but he'll likely spend his peak years at Celtic.

I'm not remotely interested in doing the whole top trumps comparison thing. It's boring.

12 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Yes, I genuinely think the new and improved Taylor could do a job for a mid table English, French, German, Italian club but he'll likely spend his peak years at Celtic.

I'm not remotely interested in doing the whole top trumps comparison thing. It's boring.

Its hardly top trumps. When comparing players surely you compare what they each bring to the table.

Ie nobody mentions Burke without mentioning his pace. Im just interested what you think Taylor is better at.

Jesus, one half decent CL performance and a couple of hammering for team vastly inferior to celtic and we are talking of playing Taylor instead of Robertson. 

I get why celtic would be quite proud of their team the other night, they had a go and there's no shame in that result but let's not kid ourselves here. Madrid stepped up a level and destroyed them in the end that includes Taylor. 

Taylor is a competent back up but he isn't in the same league as Robertson or tierney.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Jesus, one half decent CL performance and a couple of hammering for team vastly inferior to celtic and we are talking of playing Taylor instead of Robertson. 

I get why celtic would be quite proud of their team the other night, they had a go and there's no shame in that result but let's not kid ourselves here. Madrid stepped up a level and destroyed them in the end that includes Taylor. 

Taylor is a competent back up but he isn't in the same league as Robertson or tierney.

Spot on. Fair play to taylor for becoming a first team regular at celtic but hes a long way behind tierney and robertson. Even hickeys infront of him imo.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Spot on. Fair play to taylor for becoming a first team regular at celtic but hes a long way behind tierney and robertson. Even hickeys infront of him imo.

I see Taylor as a kind of Mark Wilson type. He'll probably have a few good seasons at Celtic and will always be in the conversation, but he'll ultimately be replaced at Celtic and never quite become a regular starter for Scotland.

That sounds a bit harsh, and I hope I'm wrong, but we are incredibly lucky to have Robertson, Tierney, and now Hickey available.

Anyone wanting Robertson dropped needs to go back and watch our Euros games again. He would be a starter for the majority of nations around the world.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I see Taylor as a kind of Mark Wilson type. He'll probably have a few good seasons at Celtic and will always be in the conversation, but he'll ultimately be replaced at Celtic and never quite become a regular starter for Scotland.

That sounds a bit harsh, and I hope I'm wrong, but we are incredibly lucky to have Robertson, Tierney, and now Hickey available.

Anyone wanting Robertson dropped needs to go back and watch our Euros games again. He would be a starter for the majority of nations around the world

Sure, but that's the problem. The euros games were a fair time ago. Not so sure he has been playing at that level for a while. I'm sure he will start and certainly hope he can get back to that sort of form. Certainly Tierney playing behind him will help big time. 

22 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The "source" was Alan McInallyol, covering a Bristol City game for Soccer Saturday. I have to take that with a big pinch of salt.

There have been false alarms before about supposedly eligible players whom it turns out never were eligible. Remember the infamous David Johnson carry on ? Craig Brown came out of it looking like an absolute idiot.

Called up to the U21s:

https://twitter.com/ScotlandNT/status/1567796136030633985?t=MTOmf9YUkwAIL-ukxBQnvg&s=19

On 9/7/2022 at 2:12 PM, syecosse said:

Rangers youth lost 2-1 away to Ajax, they also missed a Pen. And apparently should and could have won. 

Liverpool youth are winning 1-0 at Half time against Napoli with Doak scoring the goal. Qansah eligible for Scotland also playing at CB.

We hit the bar 3 times. Should have gotten atleast a draw. However at this level it isn't about results and is about performances. We played well and competed 

Rangers u19s went toe to toe with one of the best youth teams in the world and put in an impressive performance. 

Harness at RB and Fraser at LB were great. 

18 hours ago, syecosse said:

King seems to be the 1 positive from a bad night for Rangers. 

He was. Came in out of position and played decent. 

I really wish we just let Goldson go in the summer. King is more than good enough to be a starter. I can honestly see King being another Patterson and leaving for good money before he becomes a starter at Rangers. He's been talked about that long it's crazy to think he's still only 18

Physically he has taken a step up this summer and looks far stronger. Like Scotland did with Gilmour and Patterson, I'd have him called up to the main squad. Not to play but just to be in training and getting used to the squad. Like Patterson, it's clear King will be a star.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

On 9/7/2022 at 10:44 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Last year the idea of Greg Taylor starting for Scotland I found unnerving.

Today I would be quite happy to see him get a game.

His improvement this year has been phenomenal and he really looks like he could do a good job in Robertson's place if required.

I still find it unnerving 

22 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

He was. Came in out of position and played decent. 

I really wish we just let Goldson go in the summer. King is more than good enough to be a starter. I can honestly see King being another Patterson and leaving for good money before he becomes a starter at Rangers. He's been talked about that long it's crazy to think he's still only 18

Physically he has taken a step up this summer and looks far stronger. Like Scotland did with Gilmour and Patterson, I'd have him called up to the main squad. Not to play but just to be in training and getting used to the squad. Like Patterson, it's clear King will be a star.

For Champions League games, I could see Rangers going to a back 3 of King, Goldson and Davies/Barisic with Tavernier and Barisic/Yilmaz as wing backs. Would be great for King’s development if it happened.