Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 166 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

On 8/25/2022 at 2:24 PM, theabsentee said:

Just read their fans forum,  they really rate the kid, best player on the pitch apart from Trippier they say. Most fans seem to want him to be given regular minutes from the bench in the epl.  If this starts Happening i hope we will call him up ASAP for the senior squad.  Make him feel the love so he doesn't switch back to England. 

If he was Welsh they'd be calling him up and capping him so yes don't see why he can't get called in September. Going to take a while to break into Newcastle with all that is happening there but him getting minutes in league cup is very positive. I assume he'll go out on loan to championship club in next few days.

Just seen Bologna lost tonight, anyone know if Lewis Ferguson has played? I looked at their first few games and he wasn't involved so don't know if he's injured or they're giving him time to settle in, would be easier if Hickey was still around.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd agree with this especially as we have plenty of other strikers clearly ahead of him in the pecking order such as Dykes, Adams, Stewart, Christie, Fraser and even Shankland and Burke.

Brown's been unlucky not to feature more so far, double figures for Stoke last season so he's improving at championship level. Really should be tried a bit more in the three games next month.

19 hours ago, syecosse said:

Under 18s prem.

It seems that the Scottish lads are really looking impressive at this level, apparently to good for the level.

Ben Doak was again brilliant as Liverpool won 4-2. 

Rory Wilson got a double in Villas win.

Dire Mebude has again started the season off as the best player at this level.

Doak in particular seems to be impressing. There is a lot of slightly odd revisionism about him, if you read any articles or tweets about him the usually refer to him being a regular starter for Celtic, which obviously was t the case. I’m not quite sure why they are saying that, it’s easy to look up.

9 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

If he was Welsh they'd be calling him up and capping him so yes don't see why he can't get called in September. Going to take a while to break into Newcastle with all that is happening there but him getting minutes in league cup is very positive. I assume he'll go out on loan to championship club in next few days.

Just seen Bologna lost tonight, anyone know if Lewis Ferguson has played? I looked at their first few games and he wasn't involved so don't know if he's injured or they're giving him time to settle in, would be easier if Hickey was still around.

Fergusson carried a suspension from last season with him, last night was his first chance.

19 minutes ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Doak in particular seems to be impressing. There is a lot of slightly odd revisionism about him, if you read any articles or tweets about him the usually refer to him being a regular starter for Celtic, which obviously was t the case. I’m not quite sure why they are saying that, it’s easy to look up.

I'd imagine lazy journalism. Possibly conflated "regular starter for Celtic u19s" and "played in the first team". Which are both true.

He is an exceptional talent. However, we've had plenty of world beating 16 year olds before that didn't amount to much e.g Calvin Miller, Islam Feruz, Danny Wilson etc. Signs are certainly good though.

I wonder how Barry Hepburn is getting on at Bayern Munich. I think he's still only 17/18.

28 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Really hope Clarke trys calling up Anderson was excellent coming off the bench for Newcastle. 

He played for our U21s within the last year, I see no reason why he would turn down a call-up.

If he is a genuine EPL squad player now then he should be considered for a call up. I’m not sure he is quite there but he really isn’t far away. I’d definitely invite him to the next squad training camp, even if he doesn’t get an actual callup.

30 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Really hope Clarke trys calling up Anderson was excellent coming off the bench for Newcastle. 

Totally agree seen enough in his cameo to get him called up & capped. Hope more opportunities come after this impressive cameo. 

Good to see Fraser getting some game time also. 

Big test McKenna against Tottenhams attack today, oh bad start Kane just scored 😬

Scott Wright had a great game against County.  He was probably MOTM.

Leon King came on at half time and did well. Technically he is amazing and will be a star. He seems to have done a lot of work on himself physically this summer. He seems a lot stronger and his leap of the ground has improved. 

Elliot Anderson came on against Wolves and went very close to scoring. I can see England going all in to try and get him to switch to England. 

4 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Scott Wright had a great game against County.  He was probably MOTM.

Leon King came on at half time and did well. Technically he is amazing and will be a star. He seems to have done a lot of work on himself physically this summer. He seems a lot stronger and his leap of the ground has improved. 

Elliot Anderson came on against Wolves and went very close to scoring. I can see England going all in to try and get him to switch to England. 

Good to hear about King in particular, hope Rangers don't sign another central defender this week which might push King further down the pecking order. 

Anderson we will have to just wait & see, there's a good chance he is going to be a top player so it will be quite a koo if he sticks with us especially as i think he qualifies only through grandparents. 

3 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Good to hear about King in particular, hope Rangers don't sign another central defender this week which might push King further down the pecking order. 

Anderson we will have to just wait & see, there's a good chance he is going to be a top player so it will be quite a koo if he sticks with us especially as i think he qualifies only through grandparents. 

I am very excited about King. Who was the last genuine top-level centre back we produced? Tierney is excellent but isn't really a centre back. If we manage to produce one we will be a much better side - then we'll only be short of a genuine top class striker!

4 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

I am very excited about King. Who was the last genuine top-level centre back we produced? Tierney is excellent but isn't really a centre back. If we manage to produce one we will be a much better side - then we'll only be short of a genuine top class striker!

King is a very good player but I worry slightly he might not be quite tall enough to match the huge strikers and defenders we seem to come up against at international level. He’s 18 so might yet grow a bit. I reckon he’s about 6ft. 

7 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Colin Hendry i reckon, 20 years since his last cap but i can't think of anyone better since. 

As well as King there's a fairly big crop of promising teenage centre backs just now so let's hope the long wait will soon be over. 

8 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Colin Hendry i reckon, 20 years since his last cap but i can't think of anyone better since. 

As well as King there's a fairly big crop of promising teenage centre backs just now so let's hope the long wait will soon be over. 

There are a lot kicking around but I wouldn't rate many as highly as King at this point.

In the 21+ age group (1999 and 2000) you have Welsh (Celtic), Mayo (Rangers) and Porteous (Hibs). All will have decent if unspectacular careers. All 3 will probably be in and around a few Scotland squads (Porteous already has been) without really challenging to be starters, much like Halkett or Gallagher.

From 2001 you have Ross Graham (Dundee United) who again, looks decent but not brilliant. I wouldn't expect to see him around a Scotland squad any time soon.

From 2002 there is Jamie Hamilton who I like. He is playing regular Championship football. He might get a decent move next year but no one seemed willing to pay a development fee for him this year. There is also Josh Doig who obviously usually plays at left back but who might just have the ability to play left centre-back, if he can do that in Serie A then he will be a Scotland regular fairly quickly.

In the 2003 group there is Neilson (Hearts) Devine (Rangers), Murray (Celtic) and Morrison (Bayern II). Only Neilson has really played much football and he has some promise for sure, although it's hard to say what his ceiling is at this point. If he stays in the Hearts first team this season then he might just be a real player and he might be looking at Scotland recognition in 3 or 4 years. Devine and Murray have played little but both are blocked in terms of path to first team by both older pros breaking through and for Devine, younger pros (i.e. King) too. It's hard to see them making much impression for 4 or 5 years to be honest. Morrison I have no idea - he has progressed to Bayern II which is great, but he seems to have had a few bad injuries that have knocked his progress. I believe he has one year left at Bayern, it'll be interesting to see if he is kept on beyond that.

In the 2004/5 age groups you have Smith (Aston Villa) and McArthur (Newcastle). Both are very good for their age, but they have a long way to go to even make it pro, let alone at the top level. 

I do agree there are more coming through than has been the case previously, but to be honest going through the list I am not that excited about many troubling the full Scotland squad within the next few years other than King at this point. Any I've missed or does anyone see a higher ceiling/quicker ascent for any of those mentioned?

Edit: I have no real visibility of English based players so would be interested to hear about the best of them.

Edited by Scots_Wha_Hae

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

In the 2003 group there is Neilson (Hearts) Devine (Rangers), Murray (Celtic) and Morrison (Bayern II). Only Neilson has really played much football and he has some promise for sure, although it's hard to say what his ceiling is at this point. If he stays in the Hearts first team this season then he might just be a real player and he might be looking at Scotland recognition in 3 or 4 years. Devine and Murray have played little but both are blocked in terms of path to first team by both older pros breaking through and for Devine, younger pros (i.e. King) too. It's hard to see them making much impression for 4 or 5 years to be honest. Morrison I have no idea - he has progressed to Bayern II which is great, but he seems to have had a few bad injuries that have knocked his progress. 

Very detailed however I would add that Devine is more of a full back than centre half. Well thought of at Rangers and seems to be seen as long term replacement for Tav.

1 hour ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

There are a lot kicking around but I wouldn't rate many as highly as King at this point.

In the 21+ age group (1999 and 2000) you have Welsh (Celtic), Mayo (Rangers) and Porteous (Hibs). All will have decent if unspectacular careers. All 3 will probably be in and around a few Scotland squads (Porteous already has been) without really challenging to be starters, much like Halkett or Gallagher.

From 2001 you have Ross Graham (Dundee United) who again, looks decent but not brilliant. I wouldn't expect to see him around a Scotland squad any time soon.

From 2002 there is Jamie Hamilton who I like. He is playing regular Championship football. He might get a decent move next year but no one seemed willing to pay a development fee for him this year. There is also Josh Doig who obviously usually plays at left back but who might just have the ability to play left centre-back, if he can do that in Serie A then he will be a Scotland regular fairly quickly.

In the 2003 group there is Neilson (Hearts) Devine (Rangers), Murray (Celtic) and Morrison (Bayern II). Only Neilson has really played much football and he has some promise for sure, although it's hard to say what his ceiling is at this point. If he stays in the Hearts first team this season then he might just be a real player and he might be looking at Scotland recognition in 3 or 4 years. Devine and Murray have played little but both are blocked in terms of path to first team by both older pros breaking through and for Devine, younger pros (i.e. King) too. It's hard to see them making much impression for 4 or 5 years to be honest. Morrison I have no idea - he has progressed to Bayern II which is great, but he seems to have had a few bad injuries that have knocked his progress. I believe he has one year left at Bayern, it'll be interesting to see if he is kept on beyond that.

In the 2004/5 age groups you have Smith (Aston Villa) and McArthur (Newcastle). Both are very good for their age, but they have a long way to go to even make it pro, let alone at the top level. 

I do agree there are more coming through than has been the case previously, but to be honest going through the list I am not that excited about many troubling the full Scotland squad within the next few years other than King at this point. Any I've missed or does anyone see a higher ceiling/quicker ascent for any of those mentioned?

Edit: I have no real visibility of English based players so would be interested to hear about the best of them.

Very comprehensive report 👌 Would agree King is the most likely at this stage, seems to have been around the Rangers first team squad for quite a while so was surprised to hear he is still only 18.

Morrison probably the other most likely due to him playing for Bayern B team, let's hope he can stay fit & impress enough to get a contract extension. 

Dane Murray did very well in his couple of games for Celtic last year then think he got a bad injury, hope he gets back challenging for a first team spot this season. 

Devine is highly thought of also at Rangers but i thought he was a right back? 

I like the idea of Doig playing left centre back or left of a 3, the Italians will certainly develop him in those positions if they think he is capable. 

Your right the rest of the teenagers mentioned are probably a few years from being ready & are nothing more than potential currently but I'm positive due to the shear quantity of them at top level clubs

Here are a few English based ones maybe missed. The boy Nelson has played for us but has now switched back to his country of birth so chances are if he turns out top quality we won't get him back but you never know. 

Collage_20220830_122910.jpg

2 hours ago, Scots_Wha_Hae said:

Since we don't have the Like button anymore, it is hard to know if posts like this are well read. I assure you that analysis like this is very much appreciated and part of the reason I visit this forum. 

To respond to the post, I think we are actually in quite a healthy position in terms of Centre Backs, where we aren't in panic stations about young players breaking through. The likes of McKenna, Souttar, Hendry and Tierney are more than good enough to hold the fort for the next few years. So Morrison, King, Smith etc can all take their time and develop before being thrown in the deep end.

Right back also seems to be resolved as well. I'm much more worried about goalkeeper and striker than centre back.

Interesting comments from Ryan Fraser:

https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/hopefully-that-can-change-newcastle-united-winger-admits-an-important-two-weeks-are-ahead-3823352

Fraser is also wanting to get back into the Scotland squad as it is approaching a year since his last international call-up for his country.

"Yeah I don't see why not,” he admitted. "Obviously, that's three weeks away, the next game.

"I don't know if I am in his [Steve Clarke] thoughts. We will see, I probably need to start playing a little bit more.

"Obviously, the other boys are doing well for their clubs. Do I deserve to be picked on form? Probably not.

"Other boys are playing and doing well and should be ahead of me. If I am honest about it, if I do well in the next two weeks hopefully that can change.

“I want to go and play for Scotland and want to score goals. A couple of years ago I done really well for them so we will see.”

Just looking at some of the line ups announced for tonight Gilmour on the bench for Chelsea.

Patterson looks like even with  Coleman back he is keeping his place.

Rangers starting with a young striker up front Ure,  Devine and King also start. 

8 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Just looking at some of the line ups announced for tonight Gilmour on the bench for Chelsea.

Patterson looks like even with  Coleman back he is keeping his place.

Rangers starting with a young striker up front Ure,  Devine and King also start. 

Yeh just saw it, Billy in from the cold, suppose its good news. 

Going to watch Patterson i think & good news about the 3 youngsters starting for Rangers.