Scotland vs England: Match thread - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs England: Match thread

Taylor1996

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Tonight was a far better effort, like i or not England are one of the top ten teams in the world were as Serbia are at pretty much the same level as us.

Haven't felt that competitive against a  top team since 1999, hopefully we can push on from here.

You've convinced me. Tonight was better. You're right, England are an elite side, especially their attacking players, and we more than held our own.

In years gone by, we might have gotten a draw but it would have been hanging on for dear life and our goalkeeper would have been man of the match. But not yesterday. We created lots of sumptuous chances, passed the ball well and battled all over the park. England were lucky to get a draw out of that.

We definitely won in the tactical/mindset stakes. Clarke got his tactics spot on and our players' mindset was spot on too. England, on the other hand, were lethargic and Southgate's words afterwards gave us a clue to the mindset he had instilled in his players who feared a defeat more than wanted a win. Southgate said if you can't win a match at a tournament then you don't lose it. But that aside this game was about us and the pride and skill, mindset and tactics also our support won too.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We definitely won in the tactical/mindset stakes. Clarke got his tactics spot on and our players' mindset was spot on too. England, on the other hand, were lethargic and Southgate's words afterwards gave us a clue to the mindset he had instilled in his players who feared a defeat more than wanted a win. Southgate said if you can't win a match at a tournament then you don't lose it. But that aside this game was about us and the pride and skill, mindset and tactics also our support won too.

Still buzzing but why didn't Clarke go out with same mentality last Monday?  Baffles me.  Everyone on here was saying to play an attack minded team.  He did it last night and look what happened.  Anyway things are what they are and we still have a chance.  Scotland Forever.

4 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Still buzzing but why didn't Clarke go out with same mentality last Monday?  Baffles me.  Everyone on here was saying to play an attack minded team.  He did it last night and look what happened.  Anyway things are what they are and we still have a chance.  Scotland Forever.

Well he couldn't as Tierney was injured. He was a massive loss. If he had of played it would have changed the whole complexion of that game and our team line-up. Just wonder whether this will encourage Clarke to keep McTominay in defence for the Croatia match.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well he couldn't as Tierney was injured. He was a massive loss. If he had of played it would have changed the whole complexion of that game and our team line-up. Just wonder whether this will encourage Clarke to keep McTominay in defence for the Croatia match.

Canny blame a whole game on Tierney being out.  It was still a defensive line up.  But anyway, that is past now and in the past it shall remain.  Just need to get our striking boots on against Croatia and take advantage of our opporchancities.  Still got my Scotland top on.  My new girlfriend is in the other bed.  Had a couple of Glenlivets last night and she hasn't seen a Scotland supporter roaring at the TV before!

4 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Canny blame a whole game on Tierney being out.  It was still a defensive line up.  But anyway, that is past now and in the past it shall remain.  Just need to get our striking boots on against Croatia and take advantage of our opporchancities.  Still got my Scotland top on.  My new girlfriend is in the other bed.  Had a couple of Glenlivets last night and she hasn't seen a Scotland supporter roaring at the TV before!

I can and I am. Tierney is one of our best players who'd get into any of the Euro squads here and start in a lot of the sides. You take away a player of that stature away from Scotland and it affects you massively.

I'd love for us to do one on Croatia. Watching their game yesterday in the last quarter and I got the distinct impression that Croatia sat back and settled for the point thinking it will be an easy three point pickings against us in their final game. Lets give them a shock.

Scotland have created the more chances than their opponents in both their matches so far. Croatia have created far less and their attitude has stank the place out so its no surprise their press have been slating them.

Guest ElChris04

Still wrapping my head around the result, I’m incredibly happy. To a man we where outstanding. We deserved a win more than anything but I can’t complain, just so happy. O’Donnell answered his critics last night, myself included and gave everything he had.

Gimour Tierney Adams and Hanley where absolute warriors. I honestly could name the whole team really who played their part, and for billy to get his motm against England on his first start for Scotland speaks volumes off just how special a talent he is, delighted for him. 

Edited by ElChris04

The better team, getting all the plaudits (rightly) while England are booed off (also rightly). Yet they're on 4 points and will go through while we have to do it all over again - and score this time - on Tuesday.

Last night's work-rate, intensity, passion should be for every game, whether it's San Marino or Engerlundland. Let's see it again on Tuesday.

19 minutes ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

The better team, getting all the plaudits (rightly) while England are booed off (also rightly). Yet they're on 4 points and will go through while we have to do it all over again - and score this time - on Tuesday.

Last night's work-rate, intensity, passion should be for every game, whether it's San Marino or Engerlundland. Let's see it again on Tuesday.

I fully agree.

In a match with so match riding on it against high-ranked opposition then it is probably our best performance in a match since beating England in 1999 in the Euro play-off second leg. I know we beat France twice since but we rode our luck a lot in those games.

13 hours ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Disappointing we didn't get the win, but the boys did ok. Fingers crossed we do the business on Tuesday.

Hopefully we don't need to here anymore form the Rangers bigots about how little Steve Clarke knows bout football. We know he is sad and catholic. But my goodness, he's a manager and a half. Despite what you all say.  

Stephen O'Donnell one of the best players on the park. 

Tyder and VA.  Here is the person who mentioned Rangers on a Scotland v England thread.  Just thought I would clear that up for you..  Stand on.