Scotland vs England: Match thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs England: Match thread

Taylor1996

Immensely proud of that - don’t think I’ve been so proud of a Scottish performance since Paris in 2007. Not one Scottish player would fall short of 9/10. A win would have been the icing on the cake but they can hold their heads high after that.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably knocked a couple of months off my life. I liked Souness take on it, emphasising Scotland's quality and not just out passion and commitment. Thought the much maligned O'Donnell and McGregor did particularly well tonight bit great all round performance after the disappointment against the Czechs.  Everyone in a blue jersey did well tonight.

3 minutes ago, neilser said:

Immensely proud of that - don’t think I’ve been so proud of a Scottish performance since Paris in 2007. Not one Scottish player would fall short of 9/10. A win would have been the icing on the cake but they can hold their heads high after that.

Absolutely. We did so well. 

21 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

There were some immense performances, particularly Hanley, McTominay, McGinn, Robertson and Tierney. Gilmour was good without being too penetrative in attack. O'Donnell also had one of his better games, though is a full-back and not a wing back suited to a back 3. But I have to disagree everyone emerges with great credit, as for me McGregor is a glaring weakness. Off the ball when the opposition has possession he NEVER EVER marks anyone, or tracks runners. He is always ball-watching in a zone completely by himself. In possession he does not demand the ball like Gilmour, and invariably plays backwards. This adds huge pressure on the rest of the midfield. Once upon a time under Brendan Rodgers he was a good player, but no longer. Clarke is obsessed with him, and after that result is sure to play him against Croatia. We cannot afford to be carrying a passenger.

I'm not normally a McGregor fan, but I thought he did exactly what he is played for well tonight. Probably his best game in about 18 months. Plus, tonight is not a night to be criticising anyone. 

Gilmour looks like he'll take over for McGregor, very probably after this tournament. So I'll let McGregor enjoy it.

O'Donnell was superb. I think we can chalk that Czech display up to nerves. A 9 out of 10 tonight. 

What a player Hanley is. Arguably man of the match in both of our games so far. 

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm not normally a McGregor fan, but I thought he did exactly what he is played for well tonight. Probably his best game in about 18 months. Plus, tonight is not a night to be criticising anyone. 

Gilmour looks like he'll take over for McGregor, very probably after this tournament. So I'll let McGregor enjoy it.

O'Donnell was superb. I think we can chalk that Czech display up to nerves. A 9 out of 10 tonight. 

What a player Hanley is. Arguably man of the match in both of our games so far. 

Fully agree. Our lads, to a man, were excellent tonight. 

Tierney was my MOTM. World of difference to composure at the back when he's there, world class tonight.

Have to credit O'Donnell aswell, would've benched him after Monday but showed tremendous character and came as close to scoring as anyone. Performances like tonight are why Clarke trusts him.

Overall very good. Keeps everything alive for final game which is key. Team had a freshness about it tonight so need to keep as much as it starting as possible although personally I'd take Dykes out and put in extra midfielder otherwise Croatia will dominate too much centrally.

They however again looked very average today and nowhere near the force they were in 2018. Desperately need the first goal on Tuesday but get that and anything is possible...

An absolutely magnificent performance. Not a single less than 8 out of 10 in that team tonight. Even better than Serbia. Only needed a goal to make it perfect.

Where was the shredding of our right-hand side?  SOD was immense, they all were.

Let's hope Grant Hanley takes Kane out of his back pocket so it doesn't slow him down on Tuesday.

Andy Robertson? World class.  Really proud of every single one of them.

2 minutes ago, daviebee said:

An absolutely magnificent performance. Not a single less than 8 out of 10 in that team tonight. Even better than Serbia. Only needed a goal to make it perfect.

Where was the shredding of our right-hand side?  SOD was immense, they all were.

Let's hope Grant Hanley takes Kane out of his back pocket so it doesn't slow him down on Tuesday.

Andy Robertson? World class.  Really proud of every single one of them.

:lol: Excellent.

I thought Hanley was one of our best players tonight.

5 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Tierney was my MOTM. World of difference to composure at the back when he's there, world class tonight.

Have to credit O'Donnell aswell, would've benched him after Monday but showed tremendous character and came as close to scoring as anyone. Performances like tonight are why Clarke trusts him.

Overall very good. Keeps everything alive for final game which is key. Team had a freshness about it tonight so need to keep as much as it starting as possible although personally I'd take Dykes out and put in extra midfielder otherwise Croatia will dominate too much centrally.

They however again looked very average today and nowhere near the force they were in 2018. Desperately need the first goal on Tuesday but get that and anything is possible...

Absolutely. An extra attacking midfielder could be the key. The tactics and formation worked well tonight, and we even created a lot of chances, but we could have done even more, and will do against Croatia. An extra midfielder will allow for Tierney to get forward more as well.

England overachieved in 2018. But not taking anything away from Scotland tonight, because we were excellent.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

My big worries about the Croatia match is two-fold at present. The lads tonight worked their socks off tonight and ran themselves into the ground. Will they be able to fully recover to put in an all-energy performance next week? Also will we manage to find the net?

My big worry about Croatia is Ivan Perisic. :lol:

He is a fantastic player. Better than any English player.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

My big worries about the Croatia match is two-fold at present. The lads tonight worked their socks off tonight and ran themselves into the ground. Will they be able to fully recover to put in an all-energy performance next week? Also will we manage to find the net?

I disagree that they ran themselves into the ground, reason being I felt it was a complete team performance - not one person was over extending themselves today would have been trying mentally.  As long as they don't go drinking until 7 in the morning they will be fine for Tuesday. Finding the net - yes we can. 

Clarke won the tactical battle definitely. He had us set up to frustrate and we did that and for spells bossed the midfield. Heck we had a few passages of play when we strung loads of passes together and looked composed. England fans were raging by it. Clarke (as Collins said) had our midfield working hard to close down their wingers forcing them to go short or long.

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I disagree that they ran themselves into the ground, reason being I felt it was a complete team performance - not one person was over extending themselves today would have been trying mentally.  As long as they don't go drinking until 7 in the morning they will be fine for Tuesday. Finding the net - yes we can. 

Think Fraser would be interesting pick for Tuesday. Have him running off Adams who showed tonight how decent he can be dropping short and linking up with midfield. Get the feeling Armstrong will be in instead but Clarke pleasantly surprised me tonight.

Midfield  base of McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn simply shouldn't be touched at all and will be needed to be as good tonight against Modric and co.

7 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Think Fraser would be interesting pick for Tuesday. Have him running off Adams who showed tonight how decent he can be dropping short and linking up with midfield. Get the feeling Armstrong will be in instead but Clarke pleasantly surprised me tonight.

Midfield  base of McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn simply shouldn't be touched at all and will be needed to be as good tonight against Modric and co.

Dykes a key part of the system tonight. Won his fair share of 50:50 balls and did a thankless shift up front with little quality service. A real focal point when required. Would be a mistake to drop him as dynamic of the team would change immediately.