23 Years... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

23 Years...

scotsgary1

4 hours ago, scotsgary1 said:

All,

Not been on this board for a long time...but thought I would share how I feel.

for the time we have not qualified I been to many games wishing and wishing...watching crap mainly 

BUT MONDAY MAKES IT WORTHWILE CMON SCOTLAND....

Try living in England for the best part of 30 years and playing football with English mates whilst they have qualified for virtually every tournament for the last 23 years. I got a postcard sent from Wembley in 1996 by my workmates and then stood at Villa Park watching McCoists goal v Switzerland in front of the boxes where the Eng v Holland result was showing and for about 15mins we were through - Agony. Luckily I had a bet with them on both the result, the goals scored and the team line-ups. Due to their ignorance of the Scottish based players, I won £20 off them :bouncy:

I've had to bide my time each tourney until they fecked it up. Brazil 2002 was pure class when Seaman got lobbed and Iceland 2016 was the business. 

Damn right it's time to enjoy it and with a decent squad and manager it could be our time for a wee bit of glory after the wilderness years

I remember France 98 like it was yesterday. 

It's amazing how sport (football) has a way of making you regress, as how I feel now is as I did back then. My stomach will be like a tumble-dryer prior to the match. Least it's not Brazil this time. 

My advice to everyone (especially tournament virgins) is to savour every second of it, as it might be another couple of decades till the next opportunity crops up.

Edited by Taylor1996

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

"Now's the day and now's the hour"...

The first tournament game in the TAMB's history :ok:

And no, ah cannae sleep.

Not ashamed to admit I struggled to sleep after the England game last night down under.

10 hours to KO now and trying to keep busy instead of opening a beer and getting the tunes on. 

Cant believe how nervous I am. Couldn't watch any of the other matches yesterday.

Its been a right hard road ( Georgia twice, Italy, Netherlands, England when we had chances ) and then the terrible qualifying campaigns, so come on Scotland today.

It is really quite emotional. 

53 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Cant believe how nervous I am. Couldn't watch any of the other matches yesterday.

Its been a right hard road ( Georgia twice, Italy, Netherlands, England when we had chances ) and then the terrible qualifying campaigns, so come on Scotland today.

It is really quite emotional. 

Agree with that.

Have been excited and nervous (and annoying to anyone that’s had to read me / be around me) however haven’t felt emotional yet. Until this morning. Feeling it today.

Let’s hope the players have been through the cycle and are ready.

Time to go daft. 

20 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

Agree with that.

Have been excited and nervous (and annoying to anyone that’s had to read me / be around me) however haven’t felt emotional yet. Until this morning. Feeling it today.

Time to go daft. 

I honestly have a tear in my eye just now after reading all the comments.  Emotional as a well.  Thinking of great times in the past. Wish I was going to Hampden but the people that have tickets will deserve them.  Here is to my big mate Pete from the Cairngorm Hotel in Aviemore.  You could always here a roar from his room abroad.  IIIIIIIIITS MAAAAAAAATCHDAY.  Here's to you Big Pete.

13123238_1017256321644772_5940359574646924990_o.jpg

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Not ashamed to admit I struggled to sleep after the England game last night down under.

10 hours to KO now and trying to keep busy instead of opening a beer and getting the tunes on. 

What time's KO where you are?

1 hour ago, GaryWood34 said:

Agree with that.

Time to go daft. 

I can't go daft until Friday. I'll still need to remain professional at work today, although I've warned my class of 10-11 year olds to stand well back if Scotland score 😂

Nervous, excited & on edge emotionally already and it's only 8am. 

Never been to see us at a major tournament, was only 11 at France '98, but today's the day.

We've a team we can believe in to go and get the win we need today. Let's hope we perform and get the little pieces of fortune we may need. 

COME ON SCOTLAND!!

6 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

I can't go daft until Friday. I'll still need to remain professional at work today, although I've warned my class of 10-11 year olds to stand well back if Scotland score 😂

Glad I am not at school now.  Took early retirement and starting a business soon.  Enjoy your day anyway!!

On 6/12/2021 at 11:52 PM, gkm_vancouver said:

Try living in England for the best part of 30 years and playing football with English mates whilst they have qualified for virtually every tournament for the last 23 years. I got a postcard sent from Wembley in 1996 by my workmates and then stood at Villa Park watching McCoists goal v Switzerland in front of the boxes where the Eng v Holland result was showing and for about 15mins we were through - Agony. Luckily I had a bet with them on both the result, the goals scored and the team line-ups. Due to their ignorance of the Scottish based players, I won £20 off them :bouncy:

I've had to bide my time each tourney until they fecked it up. Brazil 2002 was pure class when Seaman got lobbed and Iceland 2016 was the business. 

Damn right it's time to enjoy it and with a decent squad and manager it could be our time for a wee bit of glory after the wilderness years

I was looking at our history of hopeful minutes.

1978: After Archie Gemmill's goal the impossible looked possible. For 3 minutes... Then Johnny Rep scored.

1982: Having for once won our opening game, for 15 minutes we led Brazil....

1996: For 15 or 16 minutes, we were in a position where we could have gone through....

6 minutes ago, exile said:

I was looking at our history of hopeful minutes.

1978: After Archie Gemmill's goal the impossible looked possible. For 3 minutes... Then Johnny Rep scored.

1982: Having for once won our opening game, for 15 minutes we led Brazil....

1996: For 15 or 16 minutes, we were in a position where we could have gone through....

That's plenty...