Netherlands warm up game. - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Netherlands warm up game.

er yir macaroon

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Robbed of a cracking morale boosting win by an utterly disgraceful decision. Then again that ref was an utter fkin tit right the way through.

Made plenty of good chances against them though.  Good performance.  That could've and should've been one hell of a good scalp to take.

The last 20 minutes was like the Alamo so we were probably lucky to come away with a draw in the end but yeah it was a shocking decision. 

If the result had mattered Clarke wouldn’t have taken off Tierney, Robertson and Cooper and we would likely have held on as we looked comfortable until the subs were made.

If we can score a few goals against Luxembourg our confidence and morale will be just where we need it to be going into the finals. 

14 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

And whilst we are at it, quick aside, when was the last time two ex Partick Thistle players ( sum proceeds 200,000) scored for Scotland. Probably never.

Trying to think, Mo Johnston might have played with Alan Hansen but I doubt they both scored.

didn’t really think turnbull did much today.  Mcgregor not up to it today.  Thought Armstrong was good.  We have three similar box to box mids in mctominay, Mcginn, Armstrong.  We really need a great holding midfielder in there.

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If we can score a few goals against Luxembourg our confidence and morale will be just where we need it to be going into the finals. 

Luxembourg are on a decent run at the moment and don't have to worry about having a finals to prepare for, I'm not expecting an easy one.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

didn’t really think turnbull did much today.  Mcgregor not up to it today.  Thought Armstrong was good.  We have three similar box to box mids in mctominay, Mcginn, Armstrong.  We really need a great holding midfielder in there.

Yes. This is where Jack is missed. Billy might provide the missing piece. I cannot understand how McGregor stays on the field for 90 minutes. And Christie, though he was good near the end, is still not the player he was 2 years ago.

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

Luxembourg are on a decent run at the moment and don't have to worry about having a finals to prepare for, I'm not expecting an easy one.

Aye they’ll be no pushovers but not having a finals to prepare for doesn’t necessarily benefit them. They’ll be on holiday mode and as we all know from the last 23 years playing a pre-tournament friendly when you’re not going to the tournament is soul destroying. 

30 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

And whilst we are at it, quick aside, when was the last time two ex Partick Thistle players ( sum proceeds 200,000) scored for Scotland. Probably never.

I was trying to work that out too 🤣

Mo Johnston was the last ex-Jag to score for Scotland before tonight, I'm sure of that.

Edit to say, no he wasn't - Billy Dodds had a season on loan at Firhill in the '80s.

Edited by scotlad
Forgot about Billy Dodds

6 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Yes. This is where Jack is missed. Billy might provide the missing piece. I cannot understand how McGregor stays on the field for 90 minutes. And Christie, though he was good near the end, is still not the player he was 2 years ago.

Completely agree. I'd had enough of him after 20 mins. Just not up to it for that level.

Gilmour absolutely has to take his starting place against Luxembourg.

4 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Superb performance tonight. Couldn’t fault them.

But we need to be streetwise in not conceding free kicks in shite areas, especially with wanker refs who will punish you for merely breathing 

I’m not sure what else could have been done to prevent that free kick. It was never a foul. 

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No he didn't.

He certainly caused us to lose a few though. 

We’ll certainly one anyway, maybe I’m being unfair to him. I’m far too young to remember him playing for us. ☺️

Thistle connection: don't want to derail things but another ex-Jag scored a really famous goal in the 70's.  I'm sure it comes up in pub trivia now and again.  If anyone wants to have a go?

Don't think 2 ex Thistle players have ever scored in the same match, at least in modern times.  Good spot whoever noticed that. 👍

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure what else could have been done to prevent that free kick. It was never a foul. 

Definitely not a foul but perhaps could have stood off a bit, especially after a similar free-kick 10mins earlier. It was a free kick against England that led to their equaliser in the Griffiths game and there is also the likes of Grealish and Sterling that fall over for fun. Would be a sickener for that to happen again once the tourney starts.

22 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Superb performance tonight. Couldn’t fault them.

But we need to be streetwise in not conceding free kicks in shite areas, especially with wanker refs who will punish you for merely breathing 

What can you do though? Look at that burst from Armstrong in the first half when he got felled in the same area and then Dykes got chopped going for the loose ball in the same passage of play and that tit just reached down and patted his fkin guide dug.  It's such a sore one getting denied a victory by a complete moron.

1 minute ago, daviebee said:

What can you do though? Look at that burst from Armstrong in the first half when he got felled in the same area and then Dykes got chopped going for the loose ball in the same passage of play and that tit just reached down and patted his fkin guide dug.  It's such a sore one getting denied a victory by a complete moron.

A win might have been counterproductive, save your angst for the real games.