The news thread - Page 82 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

22 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Well the day of reckoning is finally here….   A triple whammy.

energy prices through the roof

mortgages about to skyrocket…. I mean some peoples payment will quadruple when they come of fixed

imported goods (which is most things nowadays) about to skyrocket 

dont see the safety nets… those struggling already are fucked… those who are just about managing will find real hardship ahead and those that think they are comfortable now will be scraping by.

bleak.

You must be entertaining at dinner parties...

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, King Of Paisley said:

You must be entertaining at dinner parties...

very!  Asset bubbles always come to an end.  Keep printing money and you put off the day of reckoning but it becomes more painful.  In the US there is something like $250k worth of debt per head.

global economic collapse would not be pretty.

16 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I certainly don’t.  Of course I understand the concept of short selling, but it’s in nobody’s long term interest.  I can’t believe that this type of blatant market manipulation exists.

Tories being Tories. 

They'll not care, most their assets will be offshore so if it goes Pete Tong, then they are sound.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Tories being Tories. 

They'll not care, most their assets will be offshore so if it goes Pete Tong, then they are sound.

Apparently certain members of the government moved their assets from sterling into euros and dollars shortly before the "fiscal event".

Kerching!!!

So, Labour have suspended Rupa Huq for calling Kwasi Kwarteng 'superficially black'.  It's not the smartest of comments but she has a point.

A number of Tory MPs from ethnic minorities attended elite schools and/or have been parachuted into very white middle class affluent areas.  A prime example of that is Kemi Badenoch, I taught in her constituency for nearly 30 years and our largest ethnic group of students were a handful of Nepalese kids from the Engineer Regiment base a few miles away.  I would be very surprised if the likes of Kwarteng or Badenoch would be elected in areas like Brent, Newham or Haringey.

32 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

So, Labour have suspended Rupa Huq for calling Kwasi Kwarteng 'superficially black'.  It's not the smartest of comments but she has a point.

A number of Tory MPs from ethnic minorities attended elite schools and/or have been parachuted into very white middle class affluent areas.  A prime example of that is Kemi Badenoch, I taught in her constituency for nearly 30 years and our largest ethnic group of students were a handful of Nepalese kids from the Engineer Regiment base a few miles away.  I would be very surprised if the likes of Kwarteng or Badenoch would be elected in areas like Brent, Newham or Haringey.

Class and a private school education trumps race all the time in England. 

On 9/25/2022 at 9:59 PM, Malcolm said:

yeah, I see the Kings Councillor, Roddy Dunlop, has stated that on twitter today… to a not particularly positive reaction.  Nicola has to bring them in to some kind of alignment or risk losing significant tax at the top end.  it’s too big a disparity now.  Cheaper to just buy a small property over the border, “base” yourself there, and generate income from it.  My company cares not a jot where I live or work.

Judging from his retraction earlier it looks like Roddy Dunlop has had his arse well and truly kicked.

Not a good look for the Dean of the Faculty of Advocates to be talking about moving to England because he’s paying too much tax on earnings over £150k when his English colleagues are out on strike because junior barristers are being paid less than minimum wage. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Judging from his retraction earlier it looks like Roddy Dunlop has had his arse well and truly kicked.

Not a good look for the Dean of the Faculty of Advocates to be talking about moving to England because he’s paying too much tax on earnings over £150k when his English colleagues are out on strike because junior barristers are being paid less than minimum wage. 

I don't know if Dunlop was making a general point but if he was talking about himself he comes across very badly. Here is a man in a very well paid job who doesn't need to worry about fuel bills or rising food prices who says he'll move to pay less tax to help others in need. Pretty poor in my book.

Just now, King Of Paisley said:

Sterling has fallen again against the dollar. 

Meanwhile no sign of that pair of crooks Truss and Kwarteng making any statement. 

This is getting frighteningly ridiculous

Probably taken a leaf out of Johnson's book and hiding in a fridge. Anyone heard from Ross, Davidson, Kerr, Fraser, Jack etc?

7 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Sterling has fallen again against the dollar. 

Meanwhile no sign of that pair of crooks Truss and Kwarteng making any statement. 

This is getting frighteningly ridiculous

It has fallen across the board. Bank of England has announced this morning  it will temporarily buy long dated bonds and delay quantitative easing in order to ‘restore orderly market conditions’ 

Cue Sterling to automatically lose another cent against the usd and euro. 

Me and a mate were discussing all this last night in the pub. He reckons that the Tories know their goose is cookesd at the next GE and are adopting a scorched earth economic policy whilst lining their own pockets.

Don't think he is far off the truth to be honest.

Not sure what the BOE's intervention will do to help us mere mortals in the short term

And yet even just last night the Scotland's epistles FB page posted a Yes Saltire obviously in response to the result rather than politically motivated

Before they realised their boob there were umpteen comments like "losers flag" etc

Westminster could shite in these folks shoes daily without them bothering

15 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Not sure what the BOE's intervention will do to help us mere mortals in the short term

It wont do anything but it allows them to tick a box to say they have tried something whilst the government pretend nothing is happening.

9 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Me and a mate were discussing all this last night in the pub. He reckons that the Tories know their goose is cookesd at the next GE and are adopting a scorched earth economic policy whilst lining their own pockets.

Don't think he is far off the truth to be honest.

I was thinking the exact thing myself. It's like they've figured their time is probably up and thought fuck it, we've two and a bit years left, let's make some dough and leave Labour to clear up the mess!