The news thread - Page 225 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Azhar Ali MP got caught suggesting Israel allowed the Hamas attack on 7 October to happen and has now apologised, saying his comments were false. Does anybody believe he doesn’t actually believe what he originally said?
If that is his genuine opinion, is he not allowed to hold and express that opinion?

Is it possible or permitted to distrust Netanyahu / the Israeli government generally and not be deemed anti-Semitic? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's now obvious to anyone that employs critical thinking that the Hamas attack on 7 October was what Israel was waiting and hoping for

Whether they "allowed" it is another matter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

But if they were given advance warning that Hamas were preparing an attack but did nothing (as claimed by Ali), is that not allowing it to happen?

There was a lot of criticism early on and  reported in some Israeli papers, with young female soldiers tasked with reporting suspicious movements saying that they hadn't been listened to by their superiors. Most of was attributed to sexism rather than anything else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

But if they were given advance warning that Hamas were preparing an attack but did nothing (as claimed by Ali), is that not allowing it to happen?

There are two sides to the same coin

Israel knew for a year that this attack was in the planning - Jericho Wall document

They supposedly never knew exactly when it would happen and we are also supposed to believe that Netanyahu and the Americans never saw it

The only explanation they have given is that they were sure Hamas did not have the capability to do what they did

Yet watching what Israel have undertaken since the attack strongly implies they were waiting for a big opportunity to do this and they conveniently got it

Meanwhile Hamas must have had a fair idea of what the likely consequences would be for Palestine if they carried out an attack on that scale - and they got it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

There are two sides to the same coin

Israel knew for a year that this attack was in the planning - Jericho Wall document

They supposedly never knew exactly when it would happen and we are also supposed to believe that Netanyahu and the Americans never saw it

The only explanation they have given is that they were sure Hamas did not have the capability to do what they did

Yet watching what Israel have undertaken since the attack strongly implies they were waiting for a big opportunity to do this and they conveniently got it

Meanwhile Hamas must have had a fair idea of what the likely consequences would be for Palestine if they carried out an attack on that scale - and they got it 

The one thing Hamas & Netanyahu have in common is neither give a rats shit about Palestinian civilians, as per usual it’s the innocent who suffer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

The one thing Hamas & Netanyahu have in common is neither give a rats shit about Palestinian civilians, as per usual it’s the innocent who suffer.

Netanyahu, wanting an excuse for ethnic cleansing?

Hamas, wanting Israel to retaliate disproportionately and get their mates to wipe Israel of the map?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Netanyahu, wanting an excuse for ethnic cleansing?

Hamas, wanting Israel to retaliate disproportionately and get their mates to wipe Israel of the map?

Mental but correct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The yank defence secretary openly said Israel were warned about the attack 3 days prior. 

I stand to be corrected on the time frame

 

Iirc it was also reported that Egyptian intelligence had warned the Israelis and Netanyahu personally that a large attack was coming from Gaza.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Netanyahu, wanting an excuse for ethnic cleansing?

Hamas, wanting Israel to retaliate disproportionately and get their mates to wipe Israel of the map?

That about sums it up 🥴

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Netanyahu, wanting an excuse for ethnic cleansing?

Hamas, wanting Israel to retaliate disproportionately and get their mates to wipe Israel of the map?

Also with Russia’s allies Iran stirring things up via Hezbollah & the Houthi’s the focus on Russia’s Ukraine invasion has been vastly reduced. Win win for Putin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Iirc it was also reported that Egyptian intelligence had warned the Israelis and Netanyahu personally that a large attack was coming from Gaza.

That's pretty much what the Labour candidate said, referencing both Egypt and the US. It's obviously a very bold and incendiary accusation but is it anti Semitism? There never seems to be capability for a neutral perspective. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Netanyahu, wanting an excuse for ethnic cleansing?

Hamas, wanting Israel to retaliate disproportionately and get their mates to wipe Israel of the map?

Taking hostages doesn't seem like that was their strategy to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

Taking hostages doesn't seem like that was their strategy to me.

Hostage taking on each side is a regular occurance between Hamas and the IDF

When they killed 1200 people they would have known taking 250 hostages would not stop massive reprisals

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scotland; the dumping ground for crap:

 

According to this Labour policy wonk.

I don't think this attitude will come as much of a surprise to anyone who has been paying attention over the past few decades to how the inhabitants of the Westminster bubble view Scotland, but they're usually at least slightly more circumspect about it. A classic case here perhaps of saying the quiet bit out loud.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Hostage taking on each side is a regular occurance between Hamas and the IDF

When they killed 1200 people they would have known taking 250 hostages would not stop massive reprisals

'Lord' Cameron now half heartedly suggesting a ceasefire/2 state solution with all the gravitas used for shouting the kids in from playing outside til late. "Right you've had your fun..." rather than acknowledging we're approaching a genocidal situation. Tories accusing Labour of "not being fit for government" because of their candidate's comments. The mind boggles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Scotland; the dumping ground for crap:

 

According to this Labour policy wonk.

I don't think this attitude will come as much of a surprise to anyone who has been paying attention over the past few decades to how the inhabitants of the Westminster bubble view Scotland, but they're usually at least slightly more circumspect about it. A classic case here perhaps of saying the quiet bit out loud.

There is the next SNP party political broadcast handed to them on a plate. Just repeat that passage on a loop. This is what London Labour think of Scotland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, StirlingEgg said:

That's pretty much what the Labour candidate said, referencing both Egypt and the US. It's obviously a very bold and incendiary accusation but is it anti Semitism? There never seems to be capability for a neutral perspective. 

It's not actually anti-semitism.  Anti-semitism is a dislike or hatred of Jews (and logically would include other semitic races, such as Arabs but that's never mentioned).  However recently some folk have tried to conflate a dislike/hatred of Israel with anti-semitism.  The two things are actually very different, but it allows anyone criticising Israel to be tarred as anti-semitic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Steve Wright gone. He probably splits opinion but I liked him even though it’s years since I have listened to the radio regularly. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68287707.amp

 

I liked him as well and i couldn't understand those that were anti him

Bit of a shocker as im sure he was lined up to be part of the new "Absolute BBC Radio shows"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I liked him as well and i couldn't understand those that were anti him

Bit of a shocker as im sure he was lined up to be part of the new "Absolute BBC Radio shows"

Yes I think he was supposed to play a big part in the BBC trying to lure back listeners, so it sounds like its been unexpected, at least to the public. I always found him upbeat and quite funny which is sometimes all you want from the radio. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

I liked him as well and i couldn't understand those that were anti him

He invented the genre of not being funny but surrounded yourself with payed sycophants who would pish themselves laughing at your every word style DJing, the formula which the radio 1 breakfast show has been using for last 40 years. I’m with Morrissey on this one 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...