The news thread - Page 163 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2 hours ago, aaid said:

She was apparently a big friend of Nicola Sturgeon.  At least that was how it was reported at the time and how BBC Scotland want to frame it judging by the number of photos and film they use of the pair together.  Sorry but you can’t have it both ways. 

Tbf, I didn't mention Nicola Sturgeon (I don't think she had much choice but to suspend her back in 2021). 

However, it isn't unheard of for people to stab so-called friends in the back when it suits them. It's an unpleasant human trait but sometimes it does happen, unfortunately.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Tbf, I didn't mention Nicola Sturgeon (I don't think she had much choice but to suspend her back in 2021). 

However, it isn't unheard of for people to stab so-called friends in the back when it suits them. It's an unpleasant human trait but sometimes it does happen, unfortunately.

I agree with all that but you’re implying that she was forced out by the party hierarchy unfairly, both can’t be true.

Had she done the decent thing and resigned at the time there would probably have been a way back in the fold but she’s dragged it out for an additional two years.  Politics is a rough game and sometimes you need to realise when your time is up.   Her continued presence at Westminster has given the SNP’s opponents an open goal. 

On 8/3/2023 at 9:54 AM, aaid said:

I agree with all that but you’re implying that she was forced out by the party hierarchy unfairly, both can’t be true.

Had she done the decent thing and resigned at the time there would probably have been a way back in the fold but she’s dragged it out for an additional two years.  Politics is a rough game and sometimes you need to realise when your time is up.   Her continued presence at Westminster has given the SNP’s opponents an open goal. 

No, what I find distasteful and unnecessary (at best) was fourteen SNP MPs voting for the petition for her to be recalled. She's been thrown out of the party, she's served a legal penalty and her career in politics has most probably ended - what they did smacked of kicking her while she was down.

Again, I didn't mention the party hierarchy - that's your interpretation - but if they had any bloody sense they'd not be putting themselves in a position where they are having to fight a by-election which they're likely to lose.

BBC reporter this morning really poor. Referring to 'migrants' going onboard the barge down in Dorset. They're 'asylum seekers', people who are seeking the status of being a refugee, someone who has been forced to flee. Maybe she's looking for a job with the Mail or Express.

3 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

BBC reporter this morning really poor. Referring to 'migrants' going onboard the barge down in Dorset. They're 'asylum seekers', people who are seeking the status of being a refugee, someone who has been forced to flee. Maybe she's looking for a job with the Mail or Express.

Asylum seekers are migrants though.  They’re not illegal migrants, that’s the important thing. 

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

Asylum seekers are migrants though.  They’re not illegal migrants, that’s the important thing. 

True but the reporters chosen terminology sends out a signal.  I hope we are not yet at the stage where the word 'refugee', doesn't elicit some sympathy or compassion amongst most people. Migrant is a more neutral term but given its use in recent years I suspect many people automatically link it to 'illegal' or 'economic'. I guess 'asylum seeker' is also subconsciously linked in many people's minds with the adjective 'bogus' so I guess that one would not have helped either 

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

This headline tells us pretty much everything we need to know about current UK politics, IMO.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66449347

Yep - Labour getting in keeps the establishment status quo whilst the mug public think things will change

In other news Hardeep is now Bawdeep as he is charged with sex offences

BBC Scotland's Glenn Campbell has been diagnosed with a brain tumour

Has an operation scheduled for tomorrow which presumably be a biopsy to see what grade it is

On 8/2/2023 at 12:20 PM, aaid said:

Wrong.  Any MP can move the writ, the protocol is that it’s moved by the Chief Whip of the party to which the former MP belonged. 

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on this, although that's not what's being reported in some of the papers.  Which to be fair are prone to distort things to suit their own agenda.

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

I'll bow to your superior knowledge on this, although that's not what's being reported in some of the papers.  Which to be fair are prone to distort things to suit their own agenda.

I think some people might be getting confused - inadvertently or deliberately - as to what happens with independents.   For “genuine” independents, that is people who are elected as an independent then if they resign, it is the government that takes care of it but - for the vast majority of cases it’s the party Chief Whip.

Different “crime” but the circumstances are pretty identical to Ferrier, you’ll note that it was the Labour whip who moved the motion.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2022-10-25/by-election-triggered-to-replace-labour-mp-after-sexual-misconduct-allegations

What an absolute embarrassment this Asylum seekers on a barge is, these people are human beings ffs. No doubt many believe they deserve to be treated like this and are now frothing themselves at the thought of them becoming ill, Great Britain 😆