The news thread - Page 164 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

On 8/10/2023 at 7:06 AM, StirlingEgg said:

Sad to hear this news. I used to be a bit obsessed with The Last Waltz so this might rekindle that! 

The Band (self titled album) is a treasure.

As any album that highlights 'drunkards dreams' should be.

RIP Robbie Robertson.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, dan cake said:

What an absolute embarrassment this Asylum seekers on a barge is, these people are human beings ffs. No doubt many believe they deserve to be treated like this and are now frothing themselves at the thought of them becoming ill, Great Britain 😆

Noticed some comments from offshore workers saying what's the problem, they have to live in similar conditions (ignoring the fact that they are doing so by choice and are being paid a shitload for it as well).

Edited by Toepoke

38 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Noticed some comments from offshore workers saying what's the problem, they have to live in similar conditions (ignoring the fact that they are doing so by choice and are being paid a shitload for it as well).

I saw one comment from a guy who had stayed on the same barge in Shetland.  He made the point that they were only on the barge for 10 hours a day to eat and sleep and were all one to a room.   He said they were nowhere near equivalent conditions.

Steve Barclay calling on Scottish and Welsh governments to discuss UK NHS waiting lists and says he's open to possibility of Scottish and Welsh patients being treated in England.

He really is an odious person, even by recent Tory standards. Forget the fact that England has just announced record NHS waiting lists, it will just get a headline in the Express/Mail/Telegraph/ politics programmes on the TV, phone in with Kaye. Get the headline, ignore the facts. Job done.

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

Steve Barclay calling on Scottish and Welsh governments to discuss UK NHS waiting lists and says he's open to possibility of Scottish and Welsh patients being treated in England.

He really is an odious person, even by recent Tory standards. Forget the fact that England has just announced record NHS waiting lists, it will just get a headline in the Express/Mail/Telegraph/ politics programmes on the TV, phone in with Kaye. Get the headline, ignore the facts. Job done.

And, it's not even a new idea. It happens all the time anyway. 

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Ramblings of a government who know they are on their way out. If the SNP cant make some political capital from this there is no chance of them getting one over on the UK government. 

‘’ 

Mr Barclay also said he was open to Scottish and Welsh patients being treated in England.

NHS services are devolved, meaning Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland control them in those nations, while the UK government runs them in England. 

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has made cutting waiting lists one of his "five priorities", and he's said people should hold him to account if NHS waiting lists in England do not fall by January 2025.’’

So Rishis idea to cut waiting lists in England is to offer Scottish and Welsh treatment in England 😆

Would love to hear the English phone ins with the thought of sweaty socks creating longer NHS lists . 

This isnt new news but its the first I have heard of it , through a petition I received . Does anyone know much about it ? Suggestions that the developer has been buying up parts of the area under different company names.

https://news.stv.tv/north/petition-launched-to-halt-plans-for-millionaires-playground-by-loch-tay#

From the petition :

They are currently preparing a planning application to build a biomass plant, sawmill, and commissary building for staff. The current scenario of individual planning applications which are being drip-fed to the community is neither fair nor ethical and could be construed as devious, look up ‘salami slicing’. DLC are known to currently have control over Taymouth Castle Estate, Newhall Woods on the banks of the Tay, Glen Lyon Estate, Loch Farleyer, Kenmore Hotel (has been shut down), Kenmore Beach, Kenmore Beach Parking, the Paper Boat Café (shut down now) and Kenmore Boat Hire (has also been closed). The full extent of land, properties and Estates in their control is unknown as they use over 50 different company names.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

This isnt new news but its the first I have heard of it , through a petition I received . Does anyone know much about it ? Suggestions that the developer has been buying up parts of the area under different company names.

https://news.stv.tv/north/petition-launched-to-halt-plans-for-millionaires-playground-by-loch-tay#

From the petition :

They are currently preparing a planning application to build a biomass plant, sawmill, and commissary building for staff. The current scenario of individual planning applications which are being drip-fed to the community is neither fair nor ethical and could be construed as devious, look up ‘salami slicing’. DLC are known to currently have control over Taymouth Castle Estate, Newhall Woods on the banks of the Tay, Glen Lyon Estate, Loch Farleyer, Kenmore Hotel (has been shut down), Kenmore Beach, Kenmore Beach Parking, the Paper Boat Café (shut down now) and Kenmore Boat Hire (has also been closed). The full extent of land, properties and Estates in their control is unknown as they use over 50 different company names.

By sheer coincidence I was talking to two guys last week, who have been involved with the locals trying to fight this over the last few years. Developments like this have been talked about up there for at least 30 years and nothing has ever come of it. But apparently this time it seems different. These folk (and it's hard to know exactly who are all involved) seem to have mega bucks to spend and money seems to be no object to them. One thing that has come out through their investigations, which I though was interesting, is that the former owners of the Kenmore hotel were two of Gadaffi's henchmen. There used to be a portrait of the pair of them holding up a big salmon in the bar. They have been trying to tell folk that the Kenmore hotel is only closed temporarily for refurbishment, but it seems that the refurbishment plans look more like they are for staff accommodation rather than reopening as a hotel. 

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

By sheer coincidence I was talking to two guys last week, who have been involved with the locals trying to fight this over the last few years. Developments like this have been talked about up there for at least 30 years and nothing has ever come of it. But apparently this time it seems different. These folk (and it's hard to know exactly who are all involved) seem to have mega bucks to spend and money seems to be no object to them. One thing that has come out through their investigations, which I though was interesting, is that the former owners of the Kenmore hotel were two of Gadaffi's henchmen. There used to be a portrait of the pair of them holding up a big salmon in the bar. They have been trying to tell folk that the Kenmore hotel is only closed temporarily for refurbishment, but it seems that the refurbishment plans look more like they are for staff accommodation rather than reopening as a hotel. 

Just waiting for the SG to call it in and the usual suspects complaining that it’s woke nonsense and they want to destroy the highlands. 

8 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

From the petition :

My cousin's husband was working on the renovations.at the Kenmore hotel etc and it seems to be some Americans thst are pumping money into it. Planning some mega fancy hotels and cabins etc. He was making silly money working on it. Is back down the road just now though. They have plans to buy most of the stuff in that area and create some sort of millionaire type resort. 

20 hours ago, Orraloon said:

14 hours ago, Kirk said:

My cousin's husband was working on the renovations.at the Kenmore hotel etc and it seems to be some Americans thst are pumping money into it. Planning some mega fancy hotels and cabins etc. He was making silly money working on it. Is back down the road just now though. They have plans to buy most of the stuff in that area and create some sort of millionaire type resort. 

Thanks.

Its sometimes hard to know the actual facts with petitions but this does seem to stink a bit. Obviously you want to encourage tourism to the highlands and there is job creation for the infrastructure, but this is a bit short term thinking  if its going to end up but nothing more than a rich man’s playground which , if anything , will reduce the number of visitors that could be attracted. 
Thats not even taking the environment into account . 

19 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Thanks.

Its sometimes hard to know the actual facts with petitions but this does seem to stink a bit. Obviously you want to encourage tourism to the highlands and there is job creation for the infrastructure, but this is a bit short term thinking  if its going to end up but nothing more than a rich man’s playground which , if anything , will reduce the number of visitors that could be attracted. 

I think that's exactly what they are building, an exclusive resort basically taking up most of Kenmore. 

22 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Thanks.

I saw the petition via Twitter and signed it as we go up to Loch Tay now and again. You used to be able to cycle/walk through the grounds of Taymouth Castle but it's been shut off for a while. You could peer in the windows and see some of the (garish) refurbishment but think that may even have been previous owners where the money ran out?? I've only heard rumours about the place but it always sounded dodgy (allegedly). The marketing from the new owners reads a bit iffy; referring to the 'Western Grampians'...The wee Kenmore post office/shop across from the hotel is closed too now so may have been snapped up as part of the whole affair. Maybe the rich visitors intend to pop up to Ben Lawers/Beinn Ghlas by helicopter...

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Michael Parkinson has died aged 88.  Used to see him in M&S in Maidenhead from time to time. 

Could never warm to him but there is no doubting his legacy when it comes to TV interviews

The damage done to the body after "beating" prostate cancer is massive irrespective of ones age 

41 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Hope his family had SunLife over 50 life insurance, free pen 

Did you not notice that the bit where June says to Derek "Ive seen the ads with Parky on TV" was cut a while back to remove "Parky" ?

Expanding on what i said earlier i always thought when Parkinson was being interviewed himself he was excellent but particularly in a lot of his interviews with the stars he came across as quite awkward

We in the UK had never heard of Dick Cavett however if you go on youtube and watch his interviews with the same stars it comes across more relaxed and friendly even whilst asking the same sensitive questions - they seem to open up to him more

Parky's interview with Helen Mirren (when she was an absolute ride) is a classic example 

Edited by Ally Bongo

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

We in the UK had never heard of Dick Cavett however if you go on youtube and watch his interviews with the same stars it comes across more relaxed and friendly even whilst asking the same sensitive questions - they seem to open up to him

Watched a few of his rock star interviews Hendrix Lennon Bowie etc I’m sure he was the last person to interview Janis Joplin before she joined “the club”

30 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Watched a few of his rock star interviews Hendrix Lennon Bowie etc I’m sure he was the last person to interview Janis Joplin before she joined “the club”

If i recall Raquel Welch was on that show too - one extreme to another !

His interview with Burton was also great

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Shocking reflection on the hospital. Absolutely awful for the families and also the people who showed concern but were ignored. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66120934

Just saw this on the news

Absolutely horrific - how could anyone do that never mind a young woman