EPL Fanatics - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Not sure this is worthy of a thread but saw something on Twitter the other night that got me wondering.......

There was a tweet from some media outlet saying Howe to Celtic FC was all signed and would be confirmed in the next few days. Looked at the replies and in the main they were from fans of English clubs like Crystal Palace, West Ham and West Brom with comments such as "farmers league" "joke football" "why would he go there" etc. You get the picture.

So I thought to myself - why the hostility boys and girls? Like what does it matter to you where that particular football manager chooses to work and earn his salary for the next few years. They come across with this superior attitude about how their league is untouchable but never let the chance pass to belittle another league or competition. Clearly Scottish football can't compete with the league down south. We don't have a monster TV deal for a start - but why do these individuals feel the need to comment on it. It's a purely numbers and economics game. When the Euro Super League was proposed there was a sense of some kind of unity between all football fans whether they were season ticket holders at Chelsea or Albion Rovers - everyone realised this was a step too far for football but give it a few weeks and the idiotic comments are out in force. Can't they just enjoy the league they watch without the nasty remarks about?

It also made me wonder if Bundesliga fans disparage the Austrian league, do La Liga fans make similar comments if a Spaniard goes off to manage in Portugal? Do Serie A fans talk trash about the Swiss league?

Love the football you enjoy and don't comment on leagues you don't watch is my motto.

Anyway that's it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Certainly bizarre comments considering the on going demonstrations going on down there.

Manage Crystal Palace to the dizzy heights of 10th place at best or manage in the Champions League with Celtic. 

Quite a few arrogant pricks around but you can also say that about certain Old Firm fans attitude towards us Diddy team fans (apologies for bringing them into another thread). 

19 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Not sure this is worthy of a thread but saw something on Twitter the other night that got me wondering.......

There was a tweet from some media outlet saying Howe to Celtic FC was all signed and would be confirmed in the next few days. Looked at the replies and in the main they were from fans of English clubs like Crystal Palace, West Ham and West Brom with comments such as "farmers league" "joke football" "why would he go there" etc. You get the picture.

So I thought to myself - why the hostility boys and girls? Like what does it matter to you where that particular football manager chooses to work and earn his salary for the next few years. They come across with this superior attitude about how their league is untouchable but never let the chance pass to belittle another league or competition. Clearly Scottish football can't compete with the league down south. We don't have a monster TV deal for a start - but why do these individuals feel the need to comment on it. It's a purely numbers and economics game. When the Euro Super League was proposed there was a sense of some kind of unity between all football fans whether they were season ticket holders at Chelsea or Albion Rovers - everyone realised this was a step too far for football but give it a few weeks and the idiotic comments are out in force. Can't they just enjoy the league they watch without the nasty remarks about?

It also made me wonder if Bundesliga fans disparage the Austrian league, do La Liga fans make similar comments if a Spaniard goes off to manage in Portugal? Do Serie A fans talk trash about the Swiss league?

Love the football you enjoy and don't comment on leagues you don't watch is my motto.

Anyway that's it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Look at the clubs mentioned mate, what in fuck have they ever achieved? They will never win anything. Small clubs with typical arrogant english attitude that the Scottish football league is pish. How many big names came up to Scotland thinking they would walk it? Joey Barton for instance.. Oh, and the TV revenue is massive. You give Celtic or rangers the money that chelsea, manure, arsenal get, we would wipe the floor with them. Celtic is a massive club with a famous history known all over the world.. Eddie Howe can either fight relegation with a shit club, in a shit stadium, or he can come to Celtic, have a new challenge, play in front of 60,000 supporters, win trophies, and compete in Europe every year. It's a no brainer.. Fuckin english arrogance at its best again. Fu k them....Scotland Forever🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

It's not a nuanced issue.

It just boils down to the Scotland and England rivalry. 

That's it.

I've seen it on the main sites of Everton and Arsenal. (But so much Manchester United and Liverpool. Maybe because of their Scottish connections)

Them mocking our football or comparing our football to theirs is silly, given the vast differences in money and resources available.  

They soon fall into silence when you compare the success of the English national team to that of France, Brazil, Italy, etc.

23 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Look at the clubs mentioned mate, what in fuck have they ever achieved? They will never win anything. Small clubs with typical arrogant english attitude that the Scottish football league is pish. How many big names came up to Scotland thinking they would walk it? Joey Barton for instance.. Oh, and the TV revenue is massive. You give Celtic or rangers the money that chelsea, manure, arsenal get, we would wipe the floor with them. Celtic is a massive club with a famous history known all over the world.. Eddie Howe can either fight relegation with a shit club, in a shit stadium, or he can come to Celtic, have a new challenge, play in front of 60,000 supporters, win trophies, and compete in Europe every year. It's a no brainer.. Fuckin english arrogance at its best again. Fu k them....Scotland Forever🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Looking forward to the day Scotland gets independence 

On 5/14/2021 at 2:30 PM, Taylor1996 said:

It's not a nuanced issue.

It just boils down to the Scotland and England rivalry. 

That's it.

I've seen it on the main sites of Everton and Arsenal. (But so much Manchester United and Liverpool. Maybe because of their Scottish connections)

Them mocking our football or comparing our football to theirs is silly, given the vast differences in money and resources available.  

They soon fall into silence when you compare the success of the English national team to that of France, Brazil, Italy, etc.

Most English fans don't care about the England national team.  They put clubs before country. I don't.  Watching England is the only enjoyment I get. In fact u never see st George's flags being flown in England except maybe at world cup time. London is probably the most un-english city in England.  U see more union flags down there. Which is why I think the national stadium should be in Birmingham.  English people are not patriotic. I am pro English independence.  I think breaking up this union is the best thing.  I'm sure u Scots feel the same.  I don't feel any connection to Scotland or Wales other than living next door.  

3 minutes ago, roverboy said:

Most English fans don't care about the England national team.  They put clubs before country. I don't.  Watching England is the only enjoyment I get. In fact u never see st George's flags being flown in England except maybe at world cup time. London is probably the most un-english city in England.  U see more union flags down there. Which is why I think the national stadium should be in Birmingham.  English people are not patriotic. I am pro English independence.  I think breaking up this union is the best thing.  I'm sure u Scots feel the same.  I don't feel any connection to Scotland or Wales other than living next door.  

Nah. I didn't say that English people were pathetic. 

It's true, though, trawl the Daily Mail, etc, pages when it's an article about Andy Murray, Nicola Sturgeon or Scottish independence, there'll be tens of thousands of disparaging and disrespectful comments. 

I would like to think the hostility is in the minority, though. It's a fallacy when people say the rivalry is one sided, it clearly is not.

More of an age thing than a Scottish v English league thing in my opinion.

The majority of 'supporters' over the last 20 plus years are Sky Sports fan dans that rarely attend matches or support  their local club. Force fed the utter drivel that huge salaries and massive spending = the very best of football. Just as many people in Scotland are dismissive about our game as there are in England, comparing it unfavourably with the top half of the EPL.At least the English have the valid excuse of being genuinely ignorant about what goes on up here. 

A huge chunk of your modern day 'fan' have no awareness at all that they are one of the main causes of the decline in the game in Scotland and to some extent the lower leagues in England. Sky Sports and stats. Thats it. 

In short, arseholes with no fucking idea. 👍

26 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Nah. I didn't say that English people were pathetic. 

It's true, though, trawl the Daily Mail, etc, pages when it's an article about Andy Murray, Nicola Sturgeon or Scottish independence, there'll be tens of thousands of disparaging and disrespectful comments. 

I would like to think the hostility is in the minority, though. It's a fallacy when people say the rivalry is one sided, it clearly is not.

I said patriotic not pathetic

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

More of an age thing than a Scottish v English league thing in my opinion.

The majority of 'supporters' over the last 20 plus years are Sky Sports fan dans that rarely attend matches or support  their local club. Force fed the utter drivel that huge salaries and massive spending = the very best of football. Just as many people in Scotland are dismissive about our game as there are in England, comparing it unfavourably with the top half of the EPL.At least the English have the valid excuse of being genuinely ignorant about what goes on up here. 

A huge chunk of your modern day 'fan' have no awareness at all that they are one of the main causes of the decline in the game in Scotland and to some extent the lower leagues in England. Sky Sports and stats. Thats it. 

In short, arseholes with no fucking idea. 👍

Most of the football fans I know down here are Southampton or Reading fans, the majority of the Reading fans I know prefer the championship to the EPL,  they tell me a lot of championship fans feel the same. They feel the EPL has ruined the game in England. @aaid could probably explain it more as he's had a season ticket there before.

As for English people putting down our game, PAIK is right, social media amplifies this. 

For me, a game of football doesn't need to be an in fuck me super duper HD with 22 multi millionaires on the pitch. Some of the best matches I've seen have involved Highland league sides or lower.

2 hours ago, roverboy said:

Your right. I live in Chester and its mostly Liverpool fans around here with a scattering of Everton and Man United. The national team barely gets a look in but a few flags do come out for major tournaments.  I reckon most of your away support comes from lower league teams whose fans don't get a chance to travel abroad.

That's a good post mate.  I think you will find most of the guys on here are not anti-english and neither am I.  However I would prefer to be run from Scotland than London Tories who we didn't vote for.  But love the English people.

16 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

That's a good post mate.  I think you will find most of the guys on here are not anti-english and neither am I.  However I would prefer to be run from Scotland than London Tories who we didn't vote for.  But love the English people.

👍

I don't know why they care enough to comment but I do wonder how much of a buzz/challenge it is for Gerrard/Rodgers. It's like Spurs & Arsenal taking it in turns to win 9 in a row in a league with Millwall, Brentford, Orient, Wimbledon, Barnet, Dagenham & Redbridge....

Here's the thing. I've bumped socially into people who support big English teams - really big English teams - by which I mean go regularly, season tickets, etc. We've chatted and they've been genuinely interested when I say I watch Kirkie Rob Roy and also Inverness CT (by marriage), asked me about the clubs, their history, etc.

The keyboard warriors mentioned at the start of this thread are post-1992 PREMIAH LEAGUE! fans who never go to games but watch on telly in pubs. And may well not even live near their 'beloved' Liverpool or Man U or Man C.