England vs Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. Can we beat them? - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England vs Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. Can we beat them?

Big Ramy 1314

Ok here's my thoughts going into the tournament. Maybe it's influenced by not seeing us play for a number of weeks....

Without doing any research to be sure... Haven't we beaten the Czechs in the last three games against them? Haven't we beaten Croatia in the the last two and never lost to them in something like 7 games? Aren't we at home against both of them?

We also have England in the group. Don't we almost always play above ourselves when we go against them? No reason to think we can't give them a game. They have a lot of good players who play in the same position, but this isn't a vintage England side.

Won't we be fielding a team that will include mainly EPL players, including key players from Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal? Our team are no mugs, so it's about time we stopped pretending that we've no more chance than North Macedonia. This tournament is set up perfectly for us do achieve more than any Scotland squad has done before. Let's go in there expecting them to do it. All three games are winnable!

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Southgate’s squad announcement was all a bit weird – SSN were happy clapping whereas Talk Sport are already sharpening the knives. 

Alexander-Arnold would be a nailed on starter for us but to take 4 right backs regardless of trying to dress it up with flexibility shows weakness for me – he’d have been better cutting one and taking the flack because if they have a poor tournament this will be what hangs him ultimately.  It’s even more stranger that they look likely to play a 5-2-3 and he’s picked as many right backs as double pivots – obviously hasn’t read one of Taylor’s lectures on the subject!  Could really bite him on the arse given Henderson and Phillips aren’t even fit yet he’s sent Ward-Prowse home. 

They’ve got Grealish who can’t train every day, Maguire who is at best looking to get match sharpness in the group stages, Henderson same and Rashford obviously nursing something.  I hadn’t realised until yesterday either that if any of these don’t get fit they can’t be replaced before the first game unless they get a ‘new’ injury so they’ve potentially a couple of ticking time bombs in there and all. 

Lingard being dropped for the tournament but asked to play a friendly too seems absolutely bat-shit mental too. 

They’ll still likely have too much for us but if Croatia can put the fear in them first game their media are for the turning I reckon. 

Edited by ThistleWhistle
An inability to count to ten

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

I don't for one minute believe it is reflective of the whole of England, and I wasn't suggesting it was. I am certain England's players and coaching staff won't be as arrogant, and neither will a large segment of the England support.

When I said "they" I meant the English press (I thought that was fairly obvious so I didn't bother clarifying). I don't imagine the broadsheets will be much better either, they'll just use longer words.

Fair enough 😉 I think big ramy should broaden his horizons and meet some English people we’re not all that bad 😉

11 minutes ago, Nobby said:

Fair enough 😉 I think big ramy should broaden his horizons and meet some English people we’re not all that bad 😉

:lol:

I'm surprised he hasn't actually, I believe there are quite a lot of English folk where he's from.

22 minutes ago, Nobby said:

Its "Big Ramy" by the way. To answer your question, I have met plenty english. Over here in Ottawa, I play football, darts, drink in an Irish boozer. I have had many a run in with English. They are not all bad, but when the football is on, they truly show their arrogance, especially when Scotland is involved. As I said before numerous times, I have a couple very close english mates, love them, they know this, they also know my feelings on england.. I have been involved in punch ups defending Scotland to your lot. I dont take kindly to insults, maybe I got a bit over the top. Thing is, when you are not living in the country of your birth, and others feel the same, you feel that wee bit more patriotic. Over the years, in Ottawa anyway, I have not had too many pleasant experiences with folk from england. I dont like yees, never have, never will.... 

Just been told I am golfing the morning of the match with all my Scottish and English pals. Mrs Ramy given me a 24 hour pass, she wants nothing to do with me...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣Golf course is 2 min from the pub where we will be watchin the match.. It is gonnae get messy....🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

10 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Its "Big Ramy" by the way. To answer your question, I have met plenty english. Over here in Ottawa, I play football, darts, drink in an Irish boozer. I have had many a run in with English. They are not all bad, but when the football is on, they truly show their arrogance, especially when Scotland is involved. As I said before numerous times, I have a couple very close english mates, love them, they know this, they also know my feelings on england.. I have been involved in punch ups defending Scotland to your lot. I dont take kindly to insults, maybe I got a bit over the top. Thing is, when you are not living in the country of your birth, and others feel the same, you feel that wee bit more patriotic. Over the years, in Ottawa anyway, I have not had too many pleasant experiences with folk from england. I dont like yees, never have, never will.... 

Empty vessels make the most noise but I suspect you know that 😉 England fans have had feck all to be arrogant about since 1966. Fair enough you don’t like us, that’s your prerogative. I’ve always prided myself on the ability to watch a game of football and treat it as just that , a game of football. Enjoy the tournament 😉

24 minutes ago, Nobby said:

Empty vessels make the most noise but I suspect you know that 😉 England fans have had feck all to be arrogant about since 1966. Fair enough you don’t like us, that’s your prerogative. I’ve always prided myself on the ability to watch a game of football and treat it as just that , a game of football. Enjoy the tournament 😉

You as well mate. Respect...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺

Guest Scot1

To me England seem like a team vulnerable to a counter attacking side. 
Be interesting to see how things play out with regard to the first games results. 
For example if we manage to beat the Czechs and England draw with Croatia, a bit of pressure on them to get the result against us, at Wembley in front of fans. 
our 3-4-2-1 counter attacking style will suit that type of game, get plenty of pace in the forward areas, stick big Gallagher on Kane. Patterson at RWB for his pace. They are set up to be sucker punched 

Just now, Scot1 said:

To me England seem like a team vulnerable to a counter attacking side. 
Be interesting to see how things play out with regard to the first games results. 
For example if we manage to beat the Czechs and England draw with Croatia, a bit of pressure on them to get the result against us, at Wembley in front of fans. 
our 3-4-2-1 counter attacking style will suit that type of game, get plenty of pace in the forward areas, stick big Gallagher on Kane. Patterson at RWB for his pace. They are set up to be sucker punched 

I doubt Gallagher will start at Wembley but otherwise sounds like a plan. 

Guest Scot1
6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt Gallagher will start at Wembley but otherwise sounds like a plan. 

I still think Gallagher deserves a starting slot, he’s never let us down and I’d like to see him give Kane a tough time of it

6 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I still think Gallagher deserves a starting slot, he’s never let us down and I’d like to see him give Kane a tough time of it

I’m not saying I disagree. I’m not 100% sure who I would start yet but I reckon Clarke will go with Tierney, Cooper and either Hendry or Hanley. Could be different in each game to be fair. 

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

Not sure Gallacher deserves a starting slot considering Cooper played in his position the last game and Hanley the previous 2 games before that. 

Guest Scot1
2 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Not sure Gallacher deserves a starting slot considering Cooper played in his position the last game and Hanley the previous 2 games before that. 

Out of our centre halves I’d choose Gallagher to match up against Kane

23 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Out of our centre halves I’d choose Gallagher to match up against Kane

Even though he’s largely untried against that standard of striker?

I don’t think Cooper has faced Kane this season but the best Gallagher has faced is Morelos and Edouard. 

It’s a tough one but I think Gallagher would’ve started the Netherlands if he was going to play against England. Cooper was decent the other night as well so won’t have done his chances any harm. 

Guest Scot1

I only seen the highlights against Holland, I was working. But by all accounts Cooper played well. But I think Gallaghers physicality is what is needed against Kane

On 6/2/2021 at 4:19 AM, COLT NY said:

Ok here's my thoughts going into the tournament. Maybe it's influenced by not seeing us play for a number of weeks....

Without doing any research to be sure... Haven't we beaten the Czechs in the last three games against them? Haven't we beaten Croatia in the the last two and never lost to them in something like 7 games? Aren't we at home against both of them?

We also have England in the group. Don't we almost always play above ourselves when we go against them? No reason to think we can't give them a game. They have a lot of good players who play in the same position, but this isn't a vintage England side.

Won't we be fielding a team that will include mainly EPL players, including key players from Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal? Our team are no mugs, so it's about time we stopped pretending that we've no more chance than North Macedonia. This tournament is set up perfectly for us do achieve more than any Scotland squad has done before. Let's go in there expecting them to do it. All three games are winnable!

how often do we beat a nation like the czechs 4 times in a row. thats my worry, we are due a bad result v them. also whats the chances we beat croatia for 3 times in row. 

41 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Even though he’s largely untried against that standard of striker?

I don’t think Cooper has faced Kane this season but the best Gallagher has faced is Morelos and Edouard. 

It’s a tough one but I think Gallagher would’ve started the Netherlands if he was going to play against England. Cooper was decent the other night as well so won’t have done his chances any harm. 

i thought we looked defensively sound against the dutch, i would be tempted to keep that defence together.

15 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

i thought we looked defensively sound against the dutch, i would be tempted to keep that defence together.

Yeah I thought the original back 3 were pretty solid. A couple of hairy moments but they kept out a decent team and very good striker for most of the match. 

Will be interesting to see who plays on Sunday. I would guess Hanley or Gallagher might get a start. Tierney should be rested (or protected would probably be a better word) in my opinion. We know what he can do and need him fit and fresh for the start of the tournament.

Would be good to see Patterson get a run out as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

WE FUCKIN CAN, AMD WE FUCKIN WILL !!!!!!!!   COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN !!!!!!

Intae the bastaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaards!!!!!!!  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧

Ramy oan the swallie 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

3 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

WE FUCKIN CAN, AMD WE FUCKIN WILL !!!!!!!!   COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN !!!!!!

Intae the bastaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaards!!!!!!!  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧

Ramy oan the swallie 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Having  lived in England for the best part of 30years I can categorically say that all of my English friends that I watch,  play and discuss football with all want Scotland to get to tournaments and do well - except if we are playing each other of course. The fact is they have the bragging rights because we haven't beaten them for over 20 years whilst they have been regularly entering tournaments and getting as far as the semifinals. 

Unless Clarke can perform a miracle with his current preferred formation and players or decides to do something drastic and pick a young,  fast, skillful team that can cause them problems with pace and energy we are now odds on to be on the wrong end of a humping and go on to be the whipping boys of the tournament. 

Hope to gawd I'm wrong and Clarke can pull it out the bag. 😖😖

Edited by gkm_vancouver

46 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Having  lived in England for the best part of 30years I can categorically say that all of my English friends that I watch,  play and discuss football with all want Scotland to get to tournaments and do well - except if we are playing each other of course. The fact is they have the bragging rights because we haven't beaten them for over 20 years whilst they have been regularly entering tournaments and getting as far as the semifinals. 

Unless Clarke can perform a miracle with his current preferred formation and players or decides to do something drastic and pick a young,  fast, skillful team that can cause them problems with pace and energy we are now odds on to be on the wrong end of a humping and go on to be the whipping boys of the tournament. 

Hope to gawd I'm wrong and Clarke can pull it out the bag. 😖😖

I agree with much of this except 'whipping boys'? I still hold out hope of us beating Croatia regardless of how tomorrow night goes.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree with much of this except 'whipping boys'? I still hold out hope of us beating Croatia regardless of how tomorrow night goes.

Above all else we still have hope agreed. Whether we end up as whipping boys is now up to Clarke and his team. Another fault we have is underestimating other teams because we think they don't want to win or as capable of winning as much as us