England vs Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. Can we beat them? - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England vs Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. Can we beat them?

Big Ramy 1314

4 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think there’s a good chance the current England team will win the Euros. 

In general terms most nations have improved technically since the 90s and England certainly have. The young players have spent more time on technique than previous generations. In the 90s, if someone controlled a ball dropping out of the sky with one touch there would be multiple replays. It is taken for granted now. Same with a pinged 40 yard pass that is instantly controlled by the recipient. Even Scotland players can do these things nowadays. 

The likes of Neville and Pearce  were great players, but their technique wasn’t the best. If they had come through now their technique would be far better because the coaches would have made them put the hours in from a young age. 

👍

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

After fluking a semi final in Russia for the first time in 18 attempts, and only the second in your entire history outside of your home country, the feeling is very much mutual ;)

👍

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

England are favourites, they are playing at home

I know. But football's a funny old game. We battered then at Wembley in 99 and barring Seaman would've gotten a draw in 96.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think there’s a good chance the current England team will win the Euros. 

In general terms most nations have improved technically since the 90s and England certainly have. The young players have spent more time on technique than previous generations. In the 90s, if someone controlled a ball dropping out of the sky with one touch there would be multiple replays. It is taken for granted now. Same with a pinged 40 yard pass that is instantly controlled by the recipient. Even Scotland players can do these things nowadays. 

The likes of Neville and Pearce  were great players, but their technique wasn’t the best. If they had come through now their technique would be far better because the coaches would have made them put the hours in from a young age. 

I've only seen bits and pieces of their previous few matches so I'm not an expert on them. I'll I'll probably take in their pre Euro 2020 friendlies. 

Oh. There's no doubt that the coaching as well as the sports science and diets have improved players, generally. But if you were to pick individual combined England teams from 90, 96 and 98, very few of the current England players would get into it.

Agreed, but as food as Shaw and (name aly of their right backs) I think I'd rather choose Neville and Pierce, for their absolute determination and mentality.

I don't think technically, Scotland have advanced. Collins, McAllister, Lambert were European stars. Maybe squad wise we're better, but first XI? No. Probably only Robertson and Tierney would get into the 90s first XI.

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I know. But football's a funny old game. We battered then at Wembley in 99 and barring Geller would've gotten a draw in 96.

I've only seen bits and pieces of their previous few matches so I'm not an expert on them. I'll I'll probably take in their pre Euro 2020 friendlies. 

Oh. There's no doubt that the coaching as well as the sports science and diets have improved players, generally. But if you were to pick individual combined England teams from 90, 96 and 98, very few of the current England players would get into it.

Agreed, but as food as Shaw and (name aly of their right backs) I think I'd rather choose Neville and Pierce, for their absolute determination and mentality.

I don't think technically, Scotland have advanced. Collins, McAllister, Lambert were European stars. Maybe squad wise we're better, but first XI? No. Probably only Robertson and Tierney would get into the 90s first XI.

1 hour ago, Philip N Williams said:

Aye good points. Well here is mines. Fuck them, it england, the auld enemy, never forget it. We will go right fuckin through them !!!  SCOTLAND FOREVER !!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

If Arsenal and Manchester United qualify for the Europa League final Gareth Southgate could be without 11 players for the pre Euro 2020 friendlies.

👍👍👍🙂🙂🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

If Arsenal and Manchester United qualify for the Europa League final Gareth Southgate could be without 11 players for the pre Euro 2020 friendlies.

We have plenty of other options.  We will just call up maddison Watkins tomori trent Bellingham grealish cash trippier etc for the Austria friendly 

22 minutes ago, roverboy said:

We have plenty of other options.  We will just call up maddison Watkins tomori trent Bellingham grealish cash trippier etc for the Austria friendly 

Regardless, Southgate would rather have his main squad members available, for training, tactics, etc, leading up to the Euros.

Looking forward to this Old Enemy game more than any other in my life. Conscious of watching since the early ‘70’s attending first in ‘78. Through the 70’s as we know , the England national football team gave World Cup Finals a miss. Whilst I still am bitter that Scotland were knocked out of WC ‘74 unbeaten ffs. 
on the way through the ‘80s , after the first century of annual contest , it happened that England overtook Scotland in head to head wins . ‘86 was the last time at Hampden I attended a home win and was glad to be there. 
England have the squad talent to justify their favourite position all hype aside. Their problem has long been management. 

a certain Scotland player is the best I have seen and a few others are excellent. Not long now . 

We can also remember that despite being the most money laden country in world football, when it comes to international football success in World and European finals then our opponents England are no Germany or Italy, France , Spain or Portugal. Neither are they the Netherlands, Greece or Denmark. Considering it then we have a better record  against our group opponents the Czechs and Croats. 

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Harry Maguire is a doubt. Ligament damage.

England aren't blessed with quality center backs. If Maguire misses out it'll be a massive blow.

Maguire is key but tomori is playing really well for Milan and konsa is doing well with villa.  

5 hours ago, roverboy said:

Maguire is key but tomori is playing really well for Milan and konsa is doing well with villa.  

Have to admit, don't know anything about Tomori. Had to SofaScore him. He's been impressive for AC Milan, going by the numbers. But he only has one cap. Might be too much of a gamble.

If Maguire misses out then it'll probably be a back 3 to compensate for the loss. Probably with Stones, Mings and someone else.

I don't rate Konsa.

• 2 weeks later...

Coooooooooooooooome onnnnnnnnnnnn!!! Intae they Bastaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaards !!!!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺. No drank in nearly 14 month, on the swallie the day, getting the liver ready !!!!! All ma English pals here in Ottawa have been warned. !!!! Ramy is on the swallie, and he is bringing his Bagpipes... 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👊👊👊👊

This is what we fuckin live for !!!!!!!! Cannae fuckin wait man !!!!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿