England vs Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. Can we beat them? - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England vs Scotland🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿. Can we beat them?

Big Ramy 1314

13 hours ago, Montrose97 said:

Don't shout at me...but I'd be prepared for us to shut up shop against England and focus on the other games in the group. We know the Czechs pretty well and have a good record against Croatia. That's who I'd be concentrating on. Right, you can start shouting at me now.

You mean Thin Red Line as opposed to Lady Butler's Scots Greys?

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the outside looking in their strength in depth is massive and with, for want of a better phrase, this golden generation it seems to be distributed across the park fairly evenly without many glaring gaps. From a Scotland perspective their fifth choice right back would piss into our squad whereas probably only Robertson, Tierney and McTominay would get close to double figure caps in theirs.

What I thought was interesting though is with this group is it more the sums of the parts rather than the individual as how many would get in an England side at the moment based on past 25 years?

Seaman/ Hart vs Pickford
Neville vs Walker / TAA / Trip/ James / Wan Bis (How many fucking good right backs does one nation need greedy bastards!)
Adams/Campbell/Terry vs McGuire
Ferdinand vs Stones
Cole vs Shaw

Carrick vs Rice
Lampard vs Henderson
Scholes vs Fodden
Beckham vs Sancho

Shearer/ Owen vs Kane

Bizarrely Sterling at left wing is the only position not probably up for discussion and he’s well out of form so he shouldn’t be near their starting XI at the moment. I think what sums up what they now seem to have is a team rather than individuals is Henderson wouldn’t get in many top XI from the last 25 years but he’s integral to what they’ve now got.

Think I've seen stronger England teams on paper over the last 25 years - it's when its on a green rectangle that bothers me more this time! 

I think we have to hope to beat the Czechs and hope England beat Croatia and then shut up shop v England.

5-4-1 formation along the likes of....

Gordon 

patterson       Hanley. Cooper.  Tierney.    Robertson

Armstrong mctominay.  Mcginn. Fraser

Dykes

or

5-3-1-1

Gordon

patterson.  Hanley. Cooper.   Tierney.   Robertson      
                                  Mclean

Mcstominay.       Mcginn

Fraser

Dykes

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

From the outside looking in their strength in depth is massive and with, for want of a better phrase, this golden generation it seems to be distributed across the park fairly evenly without many glaring gaps. From a Scotland perspective their fifth choice right back would piss into our squad whereas probably only Robertson, Tierney and McTominay would get close to double figure caps in theirs.

What I thought was interesting though is with this group is it more the sums of the parts rather than the individual as how many would get in an England side at the moment based on past 25 years?

Seaman/ Hart vs Pickford
Neville vs Walker / TAA / Trip/ James / Wan Bis (How many fucking good right backs does one nation need greedy bastards!)
Adams/Campbell/Terry vs McGuire
Ferdinand vs Stones
Cole vs Shaw

Carrick vs Rice
Lampard vs Henderson
Scholes vs Fodden
Beckham vs Sancho

Shearer/ Owen vs Kane

Bizarrely Sterling at left wing is the only position not probably up for discussion and he’s well out of form so he shouldn’t be near their starting XI at the moment. I think what sums up what they now seem to have is a team rather than individuals is Henderson wouldn’t get in many top XI from the last 25 years but he’s integral to what they’ve now got.

Think I've seen stronger England teams on paper over the last 25 years - it's when its on a green rectangle that bothers me more this time! 

As an England fan this generation is far more technical than the 04/06 side.  Also we have tariq lamptey and max arrans at right back. U can have one of them two 

I can only remember the England squads from 90, 96 and 98. As I was only really invested because we were there.

If you're talking about individual players, not many of the current England squad would get in the first XI of the class of 90, 96 and 98.

Yes, we could say the same about the Scotland squad, but the point is that we shouldn't build England up to be some superpower. They aren't. Can we beat them? Definitely. 

I was watching the Serbia playoff match last night. Dykes was an absolute battering ram. He won so many flick ons and aerial duels, against 3 good defenders. If Southgate shows that match to his squad, Stones and Maguire will pray that Adams starts.

Win the central midfield battle (Rice and Philips vs McTominay and probably McGregor) and we can get all three points.

The only thing that scares me about England is Kane doing his false number 9 routine and pulling the strings.

I'd probably man mark Kane with Kieran Tierney.

6 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I can only remember the England squads from 90, 96 and 98. As I was only really invested because we were there.

If you're talking about individual players, not many of the current England squad would get in the first XI of the class of 90, 96 and 98.

Yes, we could say the same about the Scotland squad, but the point is that we shouldn't build England up to be some superpower. They aren't. Can we beat them? Definitely. 

I was watching the Serbia playoff match last night. Dykes was an absolute battering ram. He won so many flick ons and aerial duels, against 3 good defenders. If Southgate shows that match to his squad, Stones and Maguire will pray that Adams starts.

Win the central midfield battle (Rice and Philips vs McTominay and probably McGregor) and we can get all three points.

The only thing that scares me about England is Kane doing his false number 9 routine and pulling the strings.

I'd probably man mark Kane with Kieran Tierney.

This squad definitely has more talent than the 90s squads. Best England squad in my lifetime.  We aren't in the same category as France or probably even Portugal but outside of those teams there aren't many squads with the depth we have now.  Im sure Scotland will give us a good game 

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I think we have to hope to beat the Czechs and hope England beat Croatia and then shut up shop v England.

5-4-1 formation along the likes of....

Gordon 

patterson       Hanley. Cooper.  Tierney.    Robertson

Armstrong mctominay.  Mcginn. Fraser

Dykes

or

5-3-1-1

Gordon

patterson.  Hanley. Cooper.   Tierney.   Robertson      
                                  Mclean

Mcstominay.       Mcginn

Fraser

Dykes

I like both of these line ups (don’t see a massive difference between Gordon & Marshall), just don’t see Patterson making it or Clarke dropping McGregor.

3 hours ago, roverboy said:

As an England fan this generation is far more technical than the 04/06 side.  Also we have tariq lamptey and max arrans at right back. U can have one of them two 

I’ve no idea who the England right back is, but Nathan Patterson will be better 2 years from now. Trent Arnold? 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’ve no idea who the England right back is, but Nathan Patterson will be better 2 years from now. Trent Arnold? 

No. Reece james.  He won't reach taa or reece james level in my opinion 

I hope u Scots don't get like the taffys.  I've a lot of respect for u lot. U have a good football pedigree for a small nation. The welsh, ever since they fluked a semi final 5 years ago are deludedly in the belief they are all of a sudden a big football nation.  U have better players than wales in my opinion but don't get ahead of yourselves

Just now, Big Ramy 1314 said:

And why is that exactly??

Because these two guys have been doing it in the  champions league regularly for the last 2 or 3 years. They are regarded as two of the best rightbacks in the world 

2 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

And why is that exactly??

Maybe he will. I dont know. Its quite possible he won't. But the guy who posted the original comment said he will be better than trent which is a huge statement to make yet he says he doesn't know anything about him. Maybe foden will be better than iniesta. Who knows?

54 minutes ago, roverboy said:

Because these two guys have been doing it in the  champions league regularly for the last 2 or 3 years. They are regarded as two of the best rightbacks in the world 

Fuck me, you english really are full of yourselves.. Question.. Are there any players in the current england squad who are NOT regarded as the best in the world at their positions? Asking for a friend..

1 hour ago, roverboy said:

Maybe he will. I dont know. Its quite possible he won't. But the guy who posted the original comment said he will be better than trent which is a huge statement to make yet he says he doesn't know anything about him. Maybe foden will be better than iniesta. Who knows?

look, no doubt that since the 1970s, player for player england have been better than Scotland.  We have still had the odd result notably in 1985 and 1999. So in a one off game there is always a chance.  In the 70s we were better than you.

at long last, we have a pipeline of players coming through.. yes, we are behind England but are getting better, as we do our chances in a one off game get better.

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

look, no doubt that since the 1970s, player for player england have been better than Scotland.  We have still had the odd result notably in 1985 and 1999. So in a one off game there is always a chance.  In the 70s we were better than you.

at long last, we have a pipeline of players coming through.. yes, we are behind England but are getting better, as we do our chances in a one off game get better.

Agreed

42 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Fuck me, you english really are full of yourselves.. Question.. Are there any players in the current england squad who are NOT regarded as the best in the world at their positions? Asking for a friend..

Er no. Our centrebacks aren't top class and our midfield isn't amongst the best but our fullbacks and attacking players are

Anything can happen in these games, although my head says it’s come a bit early for us. 

Mason Mount and Foden are two seriously good players and there are many more. In a couple of years I’d quite fancy us to hold our own but it would take quite a performance to get a result in just over a month from now. 

16 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Anything can happen in these games, although my head says it’s come a bit early for us. 

Mason Mount and Foden are two seriously good players and there are many more. In a couple of years I’d quite fancy us to hold our own but it would take quite a performance to get a result in just over a month from now. 

👍

7 hours ago, roverboy said:

I hope u Scots don't get like the taffys.  I've a lot of respect for u lot. U have a good football pedigree for a small nation. The welsh, ever since they fluked a semi final 5 years ago are deludedly in the belief they are all of a sudden a big football nation.  U have better players than wales in my opinion but don't get ahead of yourselves

I hate everyone !!!!!!

11 hours ago, roverboy said:

This squad definitely has more talent than the 90s squads. Best England squad in my lifetime.  We aren't in the same category as France or probably even Portugal but outside of those teams there aren't many squads with the depth we have now.  Im sure Scotland will give us a good game 

Better squad? Probably. 

Better first XI? Definitely not.

Those 90s teams would thrash your current team. One of those teams almost won the world cup, one almost won Euro 96.

This current team might not even make it out of the first group. Croatia are better than England and we've never lost to Croatia. 

So, I'm banking of Croatia and Scotland to get through.*

*Best case scenario. 

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Better squad? Probably. 

Those 90s teams would thrash your current team. One of those teams almost won the world cup, one almost won Euro 96.

This current team might not even make it out of the first group. Croatia are better than England and we've never lost to Croatia. 

*Best case scenario. 

England are favourites, they are playing at home

14 hours ago, roverboy said:

After fluking a semi final in Russia for the first time in 18 attempts, and only the second in your entire history outside of your home country, the feeling is very much mutual ;) 

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Better squad? Probably. 

*Best case scenario. 

I think there’s a good chance the current England team will win the Euros. 

In general terms most nations have improved technically since the 90s and England certainly have. The young players have spent more time on technique than previous generations. In the 90s, if someone controlled a ball dropping out of the sky with one touch there would be multiple replays. It is taken for granted now. Same with a pinged 40 yard pass that is instantly controlled by the recipient. Even Scotland players can do these things nowadays. 

The likes of Neville and Pearce  were great players, but their technique wasn’t the best. If they had come through now their technique would be far better because the coaches would have made them put the hours in from a young age. 

Edited by er yir macaroon