Clarke wanted by celtic?? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clarke wanted by celtic??

hampden_loon2878

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I would be surprised if Clarke wanted to take a step down to go to Celtic but if he does I want him gone now and not after the Euros.

I don't think celtic is a step down. They will offer more money and are a huge job in club football. Certainly the biggest club job Clarke will ever get offered imo. 

I think he deserves to take us to the euros. Its not like Walter Smith where he left mid campaign. 

It is a worry.

It's a worry because Celtic are not naming a replacement as the assistant John Kennedy is going to be in charge until the end of the season. That sets the alarm bells ringing for me.

I suppose a lot will depend on how our early World Cup qualifying matches go. If we get off to a flyer and we are in a good position then Clarke may feel there is a job to be completed on that front and may turn down Celtic. Time will tell I feel.

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'd heard rumours earlier in the month. If they're to be believed it's a done deal.

Hmm like the kind of rumours that were placing one manager in the job at Bristol Rovers and then the next day somebody totally different got the job?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Hmm like the kind of rumours tat were placing one manager in the job at Bristol Rovers and then the next day somebody totally different got the job?

That's the nature of rumours. This one apparently did come from a source close to Clarke, we'll just have to wait and see...

14 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well he has probably made the commitment of taking us to the euros. Would you prefer he just ditched the job now and take charge of celtic. 

And to add to that I have come to accept we'll never get anyone totally committed to the Scotland job. Heck commitment and football does not really go together in any case. Players and managers alike contracts mean zilch.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

I don't think celtic is a step down. They will offer more money and are a huge job in club football. Certainly the biggest club job Clarke will ever get offered imo. 

I think he deserves to take us to the euros. Its not like Walter Smith where he left mid campaign. 

If clarke does well at the euros and starts well in the WC qualifiers, he will get a decent gig in England. The celtic job is a big gig in Scotland, nowhere else.

He was very outspoken about the sectarian issues surrounding the old firm last season so I'd be surprised if he put himself directly in that firing line.

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If clarke does well at the euros and starts well in the WC qualifiers, he will get a decent gig in England. The celtic job is a big gig in Scotland, nowhere else.

He was very outspoken about the sectarian issues surrounding the old firm last season so I'd be surprised if he put himself directly in that firing line.

Celtic job is massive in terms of the UK. Only long established epl teams are bigger. 

If he does well in the euros and these upcoming qualifiers then the best he will get offered is a decent English championship team or maybe at a push a relegation battler in the epl. 

Let's be honest celtic is probably the biggest club job he will ever get offered. 

He's only ever managed wba for a season and had a few seasons at killie. That's hardly a stellar club career in management. 

I don’t think Celtic fans would be happy with that appointment nor do I think he would be suited to that club. 

Clarke is a manager of the underdogs & when expectations are low he excels. 

Im not sure he would want the job given the security of his current role & the likelihood that Celtic will turn over a couple of managers in quick succession as they inevitably remain well behind Rangers for the foreseeable. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Celtic job is massive in terms of the UK. Only long established epl teams are bigger. 

If he does well in the euros and these upcoming qualifiers then the best he will get offered is a decent English championship team or maybe at a push a relegation battler in the epl. 

Let's be honest celtic is probably the biggest club job he will ever get offered. 

He's only ever managed wba for a season and had a few seasons at killie. That's hardly a stellar club career in management. 

Youve just basically repeated what you already said

I think he can do better and as I said there are other reasons he may decline the Celtic job

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

Didn't Clarke say that when he was at Kilmarnock that he wasn't interested because of the sectarianism associated with the Old Firm and the impact on his family.

He said something along those lines

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

Didn't Clarke say that when he was at Kilmarnock that he wasn't interested because of the sectarianism associated with the Old Firm and the impact on his family.

Yes, so it would be hypocrisy for him to take the job now. If he goes, unless we get Moyes we will have somebody unproven.

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

What job could he realistically get that would be bigger than celtic?

Yes but that job is tainted just now considering the mess they are in. Heck at present they are much closer to finishing 3rd or 4th than they are to top. Appealing? I don't think so.

Edited by Caledonian Craig