David Marshall - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

David Marshall

prideothenorth

Just thought he deserved his own thread (apologies if he has already, but cant see one). 

Penalty save v Israel which helped get us to the final and of course v Serbia, with numerous great saves along the way. Seems to turn up and get on with it, even when he was not first choice. Always easy to praise a great goal or a strikers performance, but Marshall has been instrumental in helping us qualify as have others of course.

4 minutes ago, prideothenorth said:

Just thought he deserved his own thread (apologies if he has already, but cant see one). 

Penalty save v Israel which helped get us to the final and of course v Serbia, with numerous great saves along the way. Seems to turn up and get on with it, even when he was not first choice. Always easy to praise a great goal or a strikers performance, but Marshall has been instrumental in helping us qualify as have others of course.

Plus all the years that he paid third fiddle to McGregor and Gordon. Always showing up, even though he knew that he'd not get any minutes on the park.

Like a goalkeeping version of Scot Gemmill.

Nice to see a goalkeeper getting the praise they deserve. 

If a striker misses a chance it is soon forgotten, but if a goalkeeper makes a mistake which leads to a goal they are hung out to dry. 

We have been lucky to have Marshall, Gordon and McGregor all around the same time.

11 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Nice to see a goalkeeper getting the praise they deserve. 

If a striker misses a chance it is soon forgotten, but if a goalkeeper makes a mistake which leads to a goal they are hung out to dry. 

We have been lucky to have Marshall, Gordon and McGregor all around the same time.

Try telling that to Iwelumo. 

1 hour ago, prideothenorth said:

Could easily have thrown his toys out and retired

Deserves all the credit now getting

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Just thinking where Marshall stands in terms of all-time greatest Scottish goalkeepers - certainly in the top five that I can recall in my lifetime. Top five being Andy Goram, Jim Leighton, Craig Gordon, Allan McGregor and David Marshall.

In terms of what he's contributed in a Scotland shirt then he must be up there with the best. Saying that we haven't had that many great goalies Tbf. 

25 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

In terms of what he's contributed in a Scotland shirt then he must be up there with the best. Saying that we haven't had that many great goalies Tbf. 

Wrong.

In our great-grandfathers and great-great grandfathers time there were Henry Rennie, Peter McBride and Jimmy Brownlie who were all noted for their talent in goal at international level. Rennie in particular was regarded as one of the best goalkeepers of his era.

In the inter war years Jack Harkness, Jerry Dawson and John Thomson all shone in goal for Scotland. Thomson would have undoubtedly won more caps had it not been for his sudden tragic death.

After the war there was Jimmy Cowan who was much celebrated for his Scotland heroics, particularly at Wembley. Cowan's form for Scotland prevented a young Newcastle goalkeeper called Ronnie Simpson from getting a look in at the Scotland team during the early-mid fifties. Tommy Younger was another highly talented goalie for club and country during the mid-late fifties.

The we had the ever reliable Bill Brown keeping us alive in the early-mid sixties and Ronnie Simpson finally got long overdue international recognition.

Into the late sixties and further into the seventies Bobby Clark and Jim Cruickshank were dependable keepers too. David Harvey in his prime was one of the best around and proved it at the 1974 World Cup.

So the Scotland national team can count quite a number of respected, tried, tested and proven goalkeepers among it's ranks down the years.

8 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Wrong.

In our great-grandfathers and great-great grandfathers time there were Henry Rennie, Peter McBride and Jimmy Brownlie who were all noted for their talent in goal at international level. Rennie in particular was regarded as one of the best goalkeepers of his era.

In the inter war years Jack Harkness, Jerry Dawson and John Thomson all shone in goal for Scotland. Thomson would have undoubtedly won more caps had it not been for his sudden tragic death.

After the war there was Jimmy Cowan who was much celebrated for his Scotland heroics, particularly at Wembley. Cowan's form for Scotland prevented a young Newcastle goalkeeper called Ronnie Simpson from getting a look in at the Scotland team during the early-mid fifties. Tommy Younger was another highly talented goalie for club and country during the mid-late fifties.

The we had the ever reliable Bill Brown keeping us alive in the early-mid sixties and Ronnie Simpson finally got long overdue international recognition.

Into the late sixties and further into the seventies Bobby Clark and Jim Cruickshank were dependable keepers too. David Harvey in his prime was one of the best around and proved it at the 1974 World Cup.

So the Scotland national team can count quite a number of respected, tried, tested and proven goalkeepers among it's ranks down the years.

Lol your going back to the war. I was more talking about last 30/40 years. Yes theres been some good ones like Leighton and goram but we haven't countless great keepers in the last 30 years. I also wasn't talking about respected, tried and tested keepers. I was talking about genuine top class keepers who could play at a big European club. 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol your going back to the war. I was more talking about last 30/40 years. Yes theres been some good ones like Leighton and goram but we haven't countless great keepers in the last 30 years. I also wasn't talking about respected, tried and tested keepers. I was talking about genuine top class keepers who could play at a big European club. 

No, you said "we haven't had that many great goalies". I proved to you that we did. 

If you meant the last 30/40 years then perhaps you should have said so originally ?

Gordon, Marshall and McGregor have done us just fine despite never playing for any big European clubs ........ unless you count the Old Firm (some will say Celtic & Rangers are big European clubs, some will say they aren't).

13 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Since the 80s:

Leighton (Aberdeen, Man Utd)

Goram (Rangers, Man Utd)

Douglas (Celtic)

Gordon (Hearts, Sunderland)

McGregor (Rangers, Hull)

Marshall (Celtic, Hull, Derby)

I'd say we've done very well for keepers over the years. Plenty big clubs in amongst that lot and other than the Rab Douglas era there hasn't been a time when keeper has been a worry for us.

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

You do have a fixation with what clubs players play for don't you?

Lets get this straight - the highest level in football is international level. Making it at international level is the ultimate. Ask professional footballers and their ultimate goal is to represent their country not to say they played for Man United or Barca or Juve. That being the case judge players on how they do at international level and in my lifetime Scotland's best have been Goram, Leighton, Gordon, McGregor and Marshall. All are amongst our most capped goalkeepers of all-time.

Lets get this straight where players play (club-wise) really does not matter. For tonight example if we did a poll on who'd we want in defence Gallagher or Cooper I'd bet Gallagher would win out. Gallagher a Motherwell player and before that lower league whilst Cooper currently plays in the EPL.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

No, you said "we haven't had that many great goalies". I proved to you that we did. 

If you meant the last 30/40 years then perhaps you should have said so originally ?

Gordon, Marshall and McGregor have done us just fine despite never playing for any big European clubs ........ unless you count the Old Firm (some will say Celtic & Rangers are big European clubs, some will say they aren't).

Lol, most ppl don't trawl back to our great grandfathers times when discussing our great players. 

Gordon, Marshall and mcgregor have been decent goalies for us. I wouldn't exactly call them top class in terms of achievements and playing at the highest level. 

Only two I can think of in the last 30/40 years are goram or Leighton. They were genuine class and played at the top level(rangers were a top team in the 90s). 

Gordon could of been a top class keeper but for that bad injury. 

4 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

Since the 80s:

Leighton (Aberdeen, Man Utd)

Goram (Rangers, Man Utd)

Douglas (Celtic)

Gordon (Hearts, Sunderland)

McGregor (Rangers, Hull)

Marshall (Celtic, Hull, Derby)

I'd say we've done very well for keepers over the years. Plenty big clubs in amongst that lot and other than the Rab Douglas era there hasn't been a time when keeper has been a worry for us.

Lol Douglas. I am talking about Scottish goalkeepers who were considered to be top class keepers and played at a high level. The only two that did that were goram and Leighton. Sorry but Gordon, Douglas Marshall and mcgregor are not at the same level as Leighton and goram in terms of level they played at and achievements. If we are discussing just performances for Scotland then Marshall is up there with the best. If we are talking about who was the best Scottish goalies(ability wise) in the last 40 years then goram and Leighton would be the only two who were genuinely top class and widely respected as such. 

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

You do have a fixation with what clubs players play for don't you?

Lets get this straight - the highest level in football is international level. Making it at international level is the ultimate. Ask professional footballers and their ultimate goal is to represent their country not to say they played for Man United or Barca or Juve. That being the case judge players on how they do at international level and in my lifetime Scotland's best have been Goram, Leighton, Gordon, McGregor and Marshall. All are amongst our most capped goalkeepers of all-time.

Yeh if we are discussing who has been Scotlandd best keeper in our lifetimes then Marshall would be up there with the best due to his recent performances. The only point I made was that we haven't had alot of great goalies. 

Your right international football is the highest level and we have absolutely sucked at that level for the last 20 years. Not sure how that is relevant to whether we have had great goalkeepers or not. 

In terms of our first choice or very regular keepers, I'd go as far as saying we haven't had a bad one for a very long time. In my football watching memory (which stretches back to David Harvey), the only regular keeper of ours that I'd even remotely have put in the "dodgy" category would be Rab Douglas and even he wasn't that bad.

Not one of the best, but I thought another very dependable keeper was Neil Sullivan.