Bonfire/Fireworks/Guy Fawkes Night - Time To Scrap It ? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bonfire/Fireworks/Guy Fawkes Night - Time To Scrap It ?

Does anyone else get more and more fed up by this stupid "tradition" with every new year that passes ? I certainly do.

Look at the house fires that occurred in Motherwell last night.

Sadly, one of my neighbours dogs died last night from a heart attack caused by the wankers from six doors down who had to have their wee neddy fireworks party.

Is it really worth the hassle our emergency services have to deal with every year, especially at a such a dangerous time like this ?

And don't forget the distress it causes to young kids, the elderly, people who's nerves are on edge and of course animals.

What do you think ?

I say bin this "tradition".

No. Kids young and old love them. Possibly some sort of restriction on how powerful the general public can buy, but ban altogether, not for me. 

Ive had this debate already yesterday/today and where do we stop?

People can behave recklessly (and do) with cars, do we ban them next? 

Some folk can’t train a dog and let it intimidate folks outside, do we ban them?

Alcohol causes a lot of problems, do we ban that too? 

May as well go the full hog and move to North Korea. 

If we are going to keep it then I think there should be strict permit system in place for buying fireworks.

Still far too many neds are getting hold of them and Da's in the suburbs who don't know what they are doing and trying to show off to their kids.

I'd still rather we binned the whole thing.

Could ban public sale and just have displays.

Can't follow the reasoning above, cars and fireworks have totally different cost/benefit profiles. Banning fireworks would be a reason to just go "full hog" and move to North Korea. Is this a pardoy or an actual earnest argument?

Just now, phart said:

Could ban public sale and just have displays.

Can't follow the reasoning above, cars and fireworks have totally different cost/benefit profiles. Banning fireworks would be a reason to just go "full hog" and move to North Korea. Is this a pardoy or an actual earnest argument?

What I meant was, do we just ban things that can be harmful to others? Not everyone that buys and uses fireworks have them for the sole intention of firing at their pals and setting them off at midnight to piss people off. Banning something because it annoys a few dogs it way ott and people are always gonna be having fires, believe me, there’s woods about 1-2 miles from me that’s always being put up in flames. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

What I meant was, do we just ban things that can be harmful to others? Not everyone that buys and uses fireworks have them for the sole intention of firing at their pals and setting them off at midnight to piss people off. Banning something because it annoys a few dogs it way ott and people are always gonna be having fires, believe me, there’s woods about 1-2 miles from me that’s always being put up in flames. 

Well there's no hard and fast rule, some harmful things are banned some aren't. Personally i'm sympathetic towards the responsible folk who end up losing shit cause fannies can't behave, so I wouldn't want to ban them I only ever think about fireworks this time of year for a couple of days cause you hear them.

They can traumatise some people with PTSD and pets etc though, the effect is more than annoyance.

Not really got any real strong beliefs on it though.

16 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

No. Kids young and old love them. Possibly some sort of restriction on how powerful the general public can buy, but ban altogether, not for me. 

Ive had this debate already yesterday/today and where do we stop?

People can behave recklessly (and do) with cars, do we ban them next? 

Some folk can’t train a dog and let it intimidate folks outside, do we ban them?

Alcohol causes a lot of problems, do we ban that too? 

May as well go the full hog and move to North Korea. 

Cars are an essential part of day to day life, a fireworkd isnt

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Cars are an essential part of day to day life, a fireworkd isnt

But in the wrong hands, are a lot more dangerous than a squeeb. 

2 minutes ago, phart said:

Well there's no hard and fast rule, some harmful things are banned some aren't. Personally i'm sympathetic towards the responsible folk who end up losing shit cause fannies can't behave, so I wouldn't want to ban them I only ever think about fireworks this time of year for a couple of days cause you hear them.

They can traumatise some people with PTSD and pets etc though, the effect is more than annoyance.

Not really got any real strong beliefs on it though.

Correct on the part in bold, the people with PTSD I have all the sympathy in the world for, but again, where do we stop with things that can give them horrible flashbacks? So difficult to police and have a right/wrong answer to it all without causing disputes from everyone. 

When I was a wean you got a wee box of fireworks (standard was the make I think) it had a couple of rockets a Catherine wheel a few Roman candles and some sparklers. As a teenager you done well to get a packet of bangers. Now you walk into any supermarket and they're selling things akin to stalin's organ 😆. I don't think I would ban them but I wonder how teenagers can afford them?

I nearly had a heart attack when a load went off last night on my way home from work. I had  forgotten it was Guy Fawkes night . The first thing I thought of was how frightened animals must be , and I dont even have a dog.

I think banning them is too far though as most kids love them and the vast majority of people are responsible. Organised displays only may be the way forward as Phart says. 

Fireworks were banned in my house the year Mr Tidy set off 2 rockets under a tree. He clearly overestimated the strength of the fireworks and underestimated the strength of the tree. The rockets ricocheted off the branches, changed direction, and shot round the garden like a bullet. The kids and their pals had to run for their lives.  I was watching from inside the house as one of the kids was frightened of fireworks. 

Despite the heat from the fireworks it was a chilly night in the Tidy household that night. 🔪👱🏻‍♂️🪓

23 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I nearly had a heart attack when a load went off last night on my way home from work. I had  forgotten it was Guy Fawkes night . The first thing I thought of was how frightened animals must be , and I dont even have a dog.

I think banning them is too far though as most kids love them and the vast majority of people are responsible. Organised displays only may be the way forward as Phart says. 

Fireworks were banned in my house the year Mr Tidy set off 2 rockets under a tree. He clearly overestimated the strength of the fireworks and underestimated the strength of the tree. The rockets ricocheted off the branches, changed direction, and shot round the garden like a bullet. The kids and their pals had to run for their lives.  I was watching from inside the house as one of the kids was frightened of fireworks. 

Despite the heat from the fireworks it was a chilly night in the Tidy household that night. 🔪👱🏻‍♂️🪓

That's exactly what I was getting at earlier with the "Da's in the suburbs" bit !

Yeah, dad's are under pressure.   In typical Grim hypocricy, I thought we should take our kids to an organized bonfire night and went armed only with sparklers and a lighter.   On applying said lighter, one o' the barstewards exploded in my hand didn't it and I got a nasty phosphorous burn in my thumb   :hammer:

Fukc karma!

Edited by Grim Jim
messy

YES. My wee dog is sitting behind the sofa shaking because some arsehole is still setting them off. Not just that, the carry on in Greenock last night when the riot police had to get involved. Too many bangers (pardon the pun)can't be trusted with them, ban them. When i was younger it was only on the 5th Nov. Now, it's weeks before, weeks after and we still have Christmas and new year to come.

If it could be kept to the one night and possibly organised displays then fair enough. We and I am sure many other places have had fireworks, bangers etc getting let off most nights for the last week and most likely more to come over the weekend as well. Our poor dog is absolutely terrified, I don't suppose some people would understand this if they don't own a dog, but it is awful to see the state they get in over fireworks. Already planning to get away somewhere quiet next year so she don't have to go through this again.

9 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

YES. My wee dog is sitting behind the sofa shaking because some arsehole is still setting them off. Not just that, the carry on in Greenock last night when the riot police had to get involved. Too many bangers (pardon the pun)can't be trusted with them, ban them. When i was younger it was only on the 5th Nov. Now, it's weeks before, weeks after and we still have Christmas and new year to come.

2 minutes ago, prideothenorth said:

If it could be kept to the one night and possibly organised displays then fair enough. We and I am sure many other places have had fireworks, bangers etc getting let off most nights for the last week and most likely more to come over the weekend as well. Our poor dog is absolutely terrified, I don't suppose some people would understand this if they don't own a dog, but it is awful to see the state they get in over fireworks. Already planning to get away somewhere quiet next year so she don't have to go through this again.

Hope your beloved canine friends are feeling better in the next couple of days guys :ok: 

It's actually kind of a blessing that my elderly cat is now deaf as a post, he can't hear the fireworks anymore.

6 minutes ago, prideothenorth said:

Our dog was loving them. He’s just past 1, so was excited with the noise and colours. Took him at least 8 rockets being 100ft in the air to realise he couldn’t catch them 😆

9 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Hope your beloved canine friends are feeling better in the next couple of days guys :ok: 

It's actually kind of a blessing that my elderly cat is now deaf as a post, he can't hear the fireworks anymore.

Cheers! Looks like another sleepover tonight though🐕

Just seen a video there of what happened in Greenock last night (as Lairdyfaeinverclyde has already mentioned), bloody hell :shocked:

What is up with these people ? :(

Bombarding firefighters (whom you may have to call upon one day) with powerful fireworks is fucking scummy behaviour. No excuse.

11 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Our dog was loving them. He’s just past 1, so was excited with the noise and colours. Took him at least 8 rockets being 100ft in the air to realise he couldn’t catch them 😆

Our pup (4 months) didn’t seem bothered at all. I didn’t take him out that night for obvious reasons but he sat in the garden and watched fireworks going off in the distance, barking a couple of times at the bangers. He certainly wasn’t scared. 
His wee dug pal he met that day did a runner right enough, found later on safe and well. 

14 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Does anyone else get more and more fed up by this stupid "tradition" with every new year that passes ? I certainly do.

Look at the house fires that occurred in Motherwell last night.

Sadly, one of my neighbours dogs died last night from a heart attack caused by the wankers from six doors down who had to have their wee neddy fireworks party.

Is it really worth the hassle our emergency services have to deal with every year, especially at a such a dangerous time like this ?

And don't forget the distress it causes to young kids, the elderly, people who's nerves are on edge and of course animals.

What do you think ?

I say bin this "tradition".

Definitely not a ban, but I do agree that some sort of restrictions should be put in place...these pop up fireworks shops that open for a month every year, should be the 1st on the list